Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
High end servo debate.... >

High end servo debate....

High end servo debate....

Old 10-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

JR has a servo called the 650Z (I think). It makes 142oz torque and it costs $50. The 590 is more like $40. Both good servos.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Background: I've run Hitec 625MG and 645MG servos in all my cars (Stampede, XXXT, B3 Oval Sprint, GS Storm) and haven't had any servo's fail on my, YET.

QUESTION: I've read many posts about people going from Hitec servos to Airtronics servos and that they will never go back. Has anyone ever been on the other side. Gone from Airtronics to Hitec and will never go back?

I'm planning on picking up an Airtronics servo or two to do some testing of my own.

Matt
Old 10-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have not had a 600 series hitec servo last more than 2 months. The others aren't too bad, but I still have a higher failure rate with Hitec than anybody else.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

My hitec was and is a good servo. Just not as fast as my airtronics. And it just will not stay centered. You'd be fighting the car in the straight and not even know it.

My airtronics is great though. Haven't had to touch my trims. And it's the first time I've felt like my GT would turn when I want it to. But it's the fastest servo I've had also.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

matty,

going by specs the airtronics servos are a tough act to follow. they are reliable, and most people swear by them, they are the fastest out there that ive seen, and they have that speed with monster torque. youll also pay about double the price of most hitec servos.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If my options were between not using any servo and just watching other or using a Hitec servo I would not use any and just watch others have fun.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hear you...

My hitec was and is a good servo... ...and it just will not stay centered.

I don't know how you can consider a servo that won't stay centered a "good" servo! That's one of the basic functionality specs of any servo!!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Both are what they are.

I use 93459 and 93460 heatsinked Airtonics in my 1/8...why because my 1/8 cost more than my mortgage payment and I want to keep my investment running at top performance. I race my 1/8 and it needs to last one hour (for the Main). I have used just about every kind of servos out there. I will list my favorite for application to give you more of an idea of what servo is for what.

For 1/8 buggy or MT nothing compares to the Airtronics 59 and 60 series. the Heatsinks help take out the extra heat gerated by hour long mains...

for 1/10 sadan I use either Futaba S9550 low profile or one of my spare airtronics 58's...why because I race them and a sedan moving at 30MPH needs to have persision and power, while being able to hold up to the abuse of hitting a barrier. The servo savers in sadans are inadiquite for the task hince why I use Metel gear Ball bearing servos that center perfect and always give me top performance.

Now for 1/18 scale I use a HS81MG, now here is were I will take heat. I use this servo in my 18th scale Play vehicle. YES PLAY VEHICLE. I don't need a 70 dollar servo for play, I don't put that much abuse on it. If were to race it than I would put in a 70 dollar servo Probably a Airtronics Micro.

Now for Hitec guys...Please hold your comments until you really look at what I am saying.
There is a reason why all the top racers at your track use top end electronics..not just servos. I use top end everything not just servos why because I want the best.

Here is my list for my 1/8 scale
Kanai 3
RB WS7
RB PIPE
Airtronics 93459 and 60 servos
Ofna 1400mah NiMh receiver pack
Ko Propo electronic switch
Team Option
HardCore Racing

Now for my 1/10.
Yokomo SD SSG
Rayspeed Chassis upgrade package
Team Paridigm motors
Fusion Batteries 1.18+
LRP Quantum Comp2 with the worlds upgrade.
Futaba S9550 Low profile servo
Tobee aluminum upgrades.

For both I use the Ko Propo Helios Radio
WHY BECAUSE I RACE AND I DON'T WANT ANYTHING BUT MY SORRY EXCUSE OF DRIVING ABILITY TO BE THE CAUSE OF MY LOSS.
Do You?
I say get what you can afford for wht you are doing with it.
I race with the best stuff because I want to be like the best.
This debate can go on and on and on.
If you like it Use it. If you don't then don't.
I don't own any of the companies listed so you won't hurt my feelings.
Sorry for the attitude, just tired of endless debates about opinions. I hope everyone does do one thing though.
Have fun this is still considered a HOBBY.
And Yes I still have fun even when I hit the barrier flip over than get upset when the corner marshalls are slow....Man it wasn't there faught I flipped.....LOL @ myself.

Stephen <><
Old 10-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default My $0.02...

In my experience, for offroad anything the Hitec 945MG is a great servo. It's probably not fast enough for onroad, though. My LHS sells them for about $80.

The current digital 945MG is very tough. Many racers in my area use them for steering servo's in 1/8th buggies and not a single one has ever broken.

'nuff said,
MX4
Old 10-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

I hear you...

My hitec was and is a good servo... ...and it just will not stay centered.

I don't know how you can consider a servo that won't stay centered a "good" servo! That's one of the basic functionality specs of any servo!!

It's not a good racing servo, b/c of the centering issues. But it never broke on me and I ran it very hard. For someone just out bashing around, it would work better than the stockers b/c of the torque. And bashing doesn't require good centering.

I did use it for awhile for racing. Just had to make sure it was centered before the race. If you didn't, that's when you end up fighting it.

But my airtronics is flawless, and I wouldn't ever use a hitec again in a racing situation.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking

I was an avid Hitec user but seemed like everytime I needed them to work they failed, mostly in the middle of a long main
Airtronics is the way to go if you are a serious racer, I run the 358 for steering and the 755 for the throttle and I have not found a better combo than that for speed and power and most of all reliability.

Hyper rules
Old 10-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

well, my LHS got me an airtronics 94162 servo. why? i dont know. it was going to be a JR 590Z, but the airtronics was more readily (sp?) available. it weighs double a standard high torque servo at a touch over 2 oz, but this thing is a monster. its not lightening fast, but worlds faster than my old hobbico (dont give me that look, i didnt put it in there lol it had it when i got the truck!) and its got enough torque (154oz/in) to make me not want to run into it in a dark ally. and it was under 70 bucks. holds trim just fine, and really throws the car around the track with authority. im happy