Traxxas Slash question.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Slash question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

6900 is a bad choice especially if it's a two pole cm-36. The 1406 four pole 4600 is plenty on 15-16/54 with a two cell. Castle motors have always run cooler for me than any motor I've used in the last 18 years. It's all about setup. Timing will also generate more heat. Your esc settings will greatly effect the temps on your motors. I would read my write up on the 1406 at the above mentioned forum. There is a ton of info on it.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slimthelineman
6900 is a bad choice especially if it's a two pole cm-36. The 1406 four pole 4600 is plenty on 15-16/54 with a two cell. Castle motors have always run cooler for me than any motor I've used in the last 18 years. It's all about setup. Timing will also generate more heat. Your esc settings will greatly effect the temps on your motors. I would read my write up on the 1406 at the above mentioned forum. There is a ton of info on it.
Ok, ill read up on your review a little later on, have some family things to do

Thanks for your input. I just figured I have that motor laying around already but that came out of a tc3. I also have a Velineon vxl-3 in a tc4 with the motor as well as a fuse system in another tc4 and a ballastic 17.5 turn in a Kyosho tf5. But their all cars so I guess thats the difference of why I cannot use them.

More research is needed on my end I see. I will learn!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1MoreMinute
Ok, ill read up on your review a little later on, have some family things to do

Thanks for your input. I just figured I have that motor laying around already but that came out of a tc3. I also have a Velineon vxl-3 in a tc4 with the motor as well as a fuse system in another tc4 and a ballastic 17.5 turn in a Kyosho tf5. But their all cars so I guess thats the difference of why I cannot use them.

More research is needed on my end I see. I will learn!
well, 4wd, has double, sometimes triple the diffs, so it requires more torque than usual. 6900kv is a high revving motor built for top end, not torque. You need some grunt in that thing. A 4pole castle will give you that, which is why the 4600 is basically fine, but a two pole 6900kv motor, that's crazy high revs and belongs in an on road car for speed runs, etc... imho.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

The differance is the 1406 is four poles and has twice the torque as opposed to the cm-36 and other motors you listed are two pole. Think of it as two pole equals high rpm very fast with nominal torque. Better for lighter cars. Four pole has same rpm but doesn't build quite as fast but has lots of torque. Better for heavier cars like 4x4 sc or 1/8 scale.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks guys above this post. I appreciate the info and explanations.

Just got home and need to shower than Ill sit down and read the review.

The deal with the 4600kv motor fell threw, so Im back to the drawing board. I have a MMPro esc so I just need a motor and want to stick with a Castle. Is their a better motor than the 4600kv that will work in this 4x4 or just stick with that? I'm going to be buying brand new now I guess unless someone that reads this has one they would like to sell. Paypal ready!! lol

Again, thanks guys for all your help so far. This place has alot of good info.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have a slash 4x4 and I was in the same predicament as you I was told by the guys at castle that the best motor is the 1410-3800 motor is ROAR legal for SCT racing. Its a new motor that is just recently released
Old 03-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Everywhere I have read about this 4600kv motor in a Slash 4x4, they DON'T recommend it. Supposedly, it is even said on Castle's website. Good thing that deal fell through. ( http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...-advisory.html )

What I do recommend is, keep the Mamba Max pro ESC, and run a 4x4 short course edition motor such as the Novak setup. ( http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...550/index.html )

Last edited by T. Herwig; 03-12-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jurquhart
I have a slash 4x4 and I was in the same predicament as you I was told by the guys at castle that the best motor is the 1410-3800 motor is ROAR legal for SCT racing. Its a new motor that is just recently released

Great motor