Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
550 ballistic 4.5 or 5.5 for losi scte???? >

550 ballistic 4.5 or 5.5 for losi scte????

550 ballistic 4.5 or 5.5 for losi scte????

Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
When we sell replacement rotors, we package them in the clear tubes, which are handy for storing extra rotors. We do not sell these tubes in our store.
then really my only recourse is to be careful? How do I best get the rotor into the motor after I put in the new stator?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by godofcable View Post
then really my only recourse is to be careful? How do I best get the rotor into the motor after I put in the new stator?
Email [email protected] and ask them to mail you the plastic tube package.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by godofcable View Post
novaktwo- i emailed customer service about this, maybe you can help....i have the Havoc 3S with the ballistic 540 like i said earlier. a local track has a 13.5 class in the summer. I bought the stator to go from the 17.5 to the 13.5. I watched a video on your website on how to change it, and they use one of those plastic packaging tubes for the rotors. where can i get one of those since i didnt buy a rotor, just the stator?
Just use a piece of card stock or mylar.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I gotta ask........is a 4 month warranty for an ESC considered "good"?

Seems pretty short for a warranty period, but I havent researched this yet. Castle I believe has a 1 year warranty.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Company Representative

Warranties cover defects in materials and workmanship--things over which the factory has control. These defects will generally show up quickly, in the first hour or two of operation.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

Thank You for the prompt response Novak Two . What a great option to have for your motors .

I picked up a used 4.5 turn ballistic for next to nothing today , put in , went to the track . I must say , I prefer the 4.5 to 5.5 after driving both . The 4.5 turn came off the track even cooler . 110 degrees .

I am still leary of the Novak ESC though . I heard from someone at the Cactus Classic , first hand, that 13 Novak ESC's went up in smoke during the races last weekend . Is thier an issue with the current run of Noavk ESC's that are causing so many to get fried ???? I was very close to buying one . I thought it would be nice to run the same brand ESC and Motor . I love my Ballistic motors . I have 4 of them now . What is the deal with the ESC's ?????????????
Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Just to say my opinion on 5.5 or 4.5 in the Losi truck.

While you can get the 4.5 to work, you see most people having heat issues with a 4.5 and not a 5.5. Their is a very good reason for this.

With the heavier truck don't want a motor with higher RPMS/more speed. What you want is a motor that has torque. A 5.5t will have more torque than a 4.5t. You won't have to worry about heat issues with the torque and because no heat issues you'll be able to gear it what you want to get the speed that you need out of it.

At least if I were to buy the Losi truck right now I'd run the 5.5t motor.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Company Representative

Don't believe everything you hear...Charlie and Bob both attended Cactus and I haven't heard this. Maybe I should start commenting on how may escs from other mfgs burnt up at Cactus.... Big races are always hard on equipment as top (and sponsored) drivers push their electronics way beyond the limits to win their events. If they burn up an esc or motor, their sponsor simply gives them a new, free one.

Mike Truhe won the 4x4 Short Course division at Cactus Classic using our equipment; so it is dependable enough to win.

Potential causes of serious ESC damage:

…poor soldering/cold solder joints
…defective battery cell, or pack
...exceeding esc's input voltage
…low "C"-rated pack

…over-gearing
…weak rotor (demagnetized)
…shorted motor coil
...reverse polarity

…loose connectors
...repeated crashes/vibration
...damaged esc capacitor/module
...water damage/corrosion

Generally, when an esc burns up, the assumption is that it is a defective controller; it is always tempting to blame the item that is melting down. However, many other problems in your over-all set up may create excessive current drawn through the esc causing this complete melt down. Continuing to run any electronic product after it has started showing signs of distress will generally completely destroy the item.

You will greatly lessen the potential damage to any esc by making sure that these potential problems do not occur.

Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
Thank You for the prompt response Novak Two . What a great option to have for your motors .

I picked up a used 4.5 turn ballistic for next to nothing today , put in , went to the track . I must say , I prefer the 4.5 to 5.5 after driving both . The 4.5 turn came off the track even cooler . 110 degrees .

I am still leary of the Novak ESC though . I heard from someone at the Cactus Classic , first hand, that 13 Novak ESC's went up in smoke during the races last weekend . Is thier an issue with the current run of Noavk ESC's that are causing so many to get fried ???? I was very close to buying one . I thought it would be nice to run the same brand ESC and Motor . I love my Ballistic motors . I have 4 of them now . What is the deal with the ESC's ?????????????
Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by twigman08 View Post
Just to say my opinion on 5.5 or 4.5 in the Losi truck.

While you can get the 4.5 to work, you see most people having heat issues with a 4.5 and not a 5.5. Their is a very good reason for this.

With the heavier truck don't want a motor with higher RPMS/more speed. What you want is a motor that has torque. A 5.5t will have more torque than a 4.5t. You won't have to worry about heat issues with the torque and because no heat issues you'll be able to gear it what you want to get the speed that you need out of it.

At least if I were to buy the Losi truck right now I'd run the 5.5t motor.
At Cactus, Mike was also running our 14mm tuning rotor in his Ballistic 550 4.5 with a Mod 1, 16T pinion. System over-heating generally means that gearing, pinions, motor timing or esc timing need to be adjusted---getting everything set up correctly takes patience and skill. We include a 5mm pinion gear with our 550 SCT combos---Mod 1, 14T for our standard combo and 13T, 32-Pitch for our Traxxas compatible version.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

I'm running the 4.5 with a 14T pinion and it doesn't get over 130F. I'm using about 15 degrees of timing.

I love these rumors.

Some of them sound like high school girls. I heard from Suzie's sister Sharron that Michelle's boyfriend Bob smoked an ESC. OMG!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Novak2: SO how much current will a 550 4.5 motor draw compared to a 550 5.5 motor on 2S?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

How much does the 14mm rotor reduce the kv on the 4.5 motor?

Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
At Cactus, Mike was also running our 14mm tuning rotor in his Ballistic 550 4.5 with a Mod 1, 16T pinion. System over-heating generally means that gearing, pinions, motor timing or esc timing need to be adjusted---getting everything set up correctly takes patience and skill. We include a 5mm pinion gear with our 550 SCT combos---Mod 1, 14T for our standard combo and 13T, 32-Pitch for our Traxxas compatible version.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
ntrain42; Novak2: SO how much current will a 550 4.5 motor draw compared to a 550 5.5 motor on 2S?
Good questions; I have forwarded them to CharlieS for a response.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
About 2 teeth on the pinion is how much

Temp wise, and top speed wise, a 14t on the regular rotor is like a 16t on the 14mm rotor.

Dropped my mah consumption around 800mah for a 5 minute qualifier.

It's a decent upgrade, but not mind blowing. Might be a "Must have" for those looking to make a 10 minute main on a 5000-5500mah pack though, lol. I run a bigger battery for the mains so battery consumption is a non issue for me.....I just want raw power
Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

So roughly 4350kv. I've got one sitting in my shopping cart...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service