Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
turnigy batteries and traxxas connectors >

turnigy batteries and traxxas connectors

turnigy batteries and traxxas connectors

Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default turnigy batteries and traxxas connectors

i am buying a few turnigy lipos from hobby-king. where can i purchase the traxxas adapter plugs? the lipo battery has 5.5mm bullet connectors. part# and web site would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Have you tried googling traxxas connectors, then clicking "shopping"?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Any hobbyshop should sell Traxxas connectors really. That, and if you, as mentioned above, Google them you'll find them.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Watch out for some of those turnigy batteries. I work at a hobby shop and have had many people ask me to change the plugs on their turnigy 3 cell lipos to traxxas connectors. I have to turn most of them away. Reason being that the turnigy wires use such a large gauge wire that they physically cannot fit into traxxas connectors. I'm not even joking. I have nothing against turnigy batteries, I'm just being honest. People tend to get angry when I tell them I can't solder on a traxxas plug onto those batteries. They seem to think that I'm unwilling to do it because they are from Hobby King, which isn't the case. On some of those batteries it is just plain not possible.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

What are the batteries you're ordering? Anything with 10awg or smaller wiring should work with a Traxxas connector. You may want to consider adding EC5 connectors to your cart. Hobbyking carries them, they're cheap (relatively), fit with Turnigy's 8awg wire, and handle twice the amperage of Traxxas and Deans.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aluma-maxx View Post
i am buying a few turnigy lipos from hobby-king. where can i purchase the traxxas adapter plugs? the lipo battery has 5.5mm bullet connectors. part# and web site would be greatly appreciated
I dont think there are connectors, at least i never found some. You'll have to solder, and because of the cable thickness it is nice to have a decent soldering station, they need some consistent heat.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fast04STi View Post
Watch out for some of those turnigy batteries. I work at a hobby shop and have had many people ask me to change the plugs on their turnigy 3 cell lipos to traxxas connectors. I have to turn most of them away. Reason being that the turnigy wires use such a large gauge wire that they physically cannot fit into traxxas connectors. I'm not even joking. I have nothing against turnigy batteries, I'm just being honest. People tend to get angry when I tell them I can't solder on a traxxas plug onto those batteries. They seem to think that I'm unwilling to do it because they are from Hobby King, which isn't the case. On some of those batteries it is just plain not possible.
I know heat shrink wrap is not needed on Traxxas plugs but if you use the wrap and use a dremel to clean up the solder then plug it in the connector and heat shrink it can you not still get it to work?I have done it like that and can get it to work great.Even add alittle liquid electrical tape.Might make you a few dollars instead of turning them away....
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

The technician at my work soldered Traxxas connectors on those batteries. They had 10ga wires and they just fit. It can be done.

Edit: They might have been 8ga wires. They had the 5.5 mm bullet connectors.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just make a short pigtail out of whatever gauge wire it is that the Traxxas connectors require. (12ga)? I can't remember. Then splice that to the Turnigy leads to the pigtail. Works like a charm.

Also, I used to have trouble soldering to the Traxxas pins. When they say not to get solder past the mark on the pin, they MEAN it. I used to solder,desolder, solder, etc. until I got it right. Finally it occurred to me that I could just grind the excess solder off with my Dremel. Now I don't have to worry about excess solder on the pin. I grind it back to the line and snap it into the connector.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LabRat99 View Post
I just make a short pigtail out of whatever gauge wire it is that the Traxxas connectors require. (12ga)? I can't remember. Then splice that to the Turnigy leads to the pigtail. Works like a charm.

Also, I used to have trouble soldering to the Traxxas pins. When they say not to get solder past the mark on the pin, they MEAN it. I used to solder,desolder, solder, etc. until I got it right. Finally it occurred to me that I could just grind the excess solder off with my Dremel. Now I don't have to worry about excess solder on the pin. I grind it back to the line and snap it into the connector.
I do something similar, just make an adapter from the traxxas connectors to the 5.5 connectors same as Turnigy uses then seal the 5.5 section with shrink wrap for a semi-permanent solution.

+1 of the grinding the traxxas leads!

Another way is to tin the 8ga wire with solder real well then take some side cutters and trim the lead down small enough to fit into the traxxas connector.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default i found a guy on ebay that makes adapters

his ebay member name is "billstitch". he is making me (4) adapters....5.5 barrel on onend, female traxxas on the other using wet noodle wire. they are 2 3/4" long.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoousi View Post
I dont think there are connectors, at least i never found some. You'll have to solder, and because of the cable thickness it is nice to have a decent soldering station, they need some consistent heat.
My LHS carries them they are like $3 and change I had two batteries soldered and it cost me 8 bucks. So your LHS should be able to take care of the whole process for you.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Initiate

All my batteries are Turnigy 2s 5000mah.
I installed EC-5 on everything (Batteries and ESCs)
The plug are large enough for the 8 gauge wire of the battery AND they are easy to pull apart without pulling on the actual wire when you disconnect them!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Hobbyking also carries Traxxas compatible plugs. Just order these with your batteries.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aluma-maxx View Post
his ebay member name is "billstitch". he is making me (4) adapters....5.5 barrel on onend, female traxxas on the other using wet noodle wire. they are 2 3/4" long.
Why make an adapter? Just replace the connector. Adapters just add unnecessary weight, resistance, and failure points.