Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What surface is best for a track. >

What surface is best for a track.

What surface is best for a track.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jurquhart View Post
I'm sure she'll be beautiful come spring!!!Wish I had space for a track at my house
yeah, if we can keep the clear weather long enough to get it halfway done.

Buggy Brad: My rototiller's shot, when I got it fixed up last year i did it all by hand, shovel and rake. The topsoil i piled up to make the dividers & barriers. I could just let the weeds on the barriers keep growing so they can harden it up & make a clear outline.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by K-Note72 View Post
Buggy Brad: My rototiller's shot, when I got it fixed up last year i did it all by hand, shovel and rake. The topsoil i piled up to make the dividers & barriers. I could just let the weeds on the barriers keep growing so they can harden it up & make a clear outline.
25-40 bucks a day at you local rental store for a rototiller, best thing about that is you can thrash the crap out of it and not worry about maintenance......BB
Old 03-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

Probably not the "best" surface, but I like it anyway.

It is soft and forgive easily hard landings.

Traction is very high, and if the grass is cut very low, it's quite fun anyway.

Last advantage : NO DUST on your car, easy cleaning.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Need to add a few elevations however.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My wife finally gave me the green light for a small track in our backyard. So what kind of dirt do I order? Do I ask for clay or some combo of clay and dirt?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jurquhart View Post
My wife finally gave me the green light for a small track in our backyard. So what kind of dirt do I order? Do I ask for clay or some combo of clay and dirt?
Just start moving the dirt in your back yard, and start building. If you want dirt you can always get the free dump truck load of dirt from a landscaping project (like when they are making a new road, building, etc. they will sometimes offer a free load).

Really though just start moving dirt around in the yard, and go drive. Find some tires that work on your surface (trust me there will be tires that work).

If you want to buy dirt, sand, clay, and even black soil makes for a good racing surface. All it comes down to is do you want a soft surface, or a really hard surface.

On a side note, you could always have the jumps made out wood (covered with a little dirt if you like, or AstroTurf, but that isn't needed), or what ever else you can use as a jump.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

In Northern Europe -> astro
Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

THIS is what you call a Surface.

THE Nitro Pit

Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Buggy Brad View Post
25-40 bucks a day at you local rental store for a rototiller, best thing about that is you can thrash the crap out of it and not worry about maintenance......BB
lol for how much time this job would take, that could get costly
Old 03-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
I pretty much am the opposite. I hope Kevin decides to go back to getting the track to groove up. Predictability in surface attracts more people on a regular basis. With the Nats coming you are gonna have to get use to "Static" track conditions.
'ideal' for me would be similar to how the 1/8 track was today for practice, all day, everyday, but that's a lot of maintenance plus cost and just isn't practical.

I think my comments where more of a 'dirt v. clay' thing. Clay just turns me off and is more what I would consider static conditions. I'd even go as far as to say sterile conditions.

Yuk.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Tech Lord

Running in the Loose Loam BS is Imo No fun, Dirtier when it gets wet out and in general works the motor's and tires more causing Faster wear on everything. Clay your Hooked up, Sandy loose you constantly spinning *to a point*
Old 03-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

I like to just scrape back the weeds & topsoil and run on whats already there. It's partially cuz i dont wanna go buy special soil for it, but also the soil we got tends to stay more solid against spinning tires.

Anyone know how much a hula hoe costs?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I've never raced on anything but hard packed clay and would love to experience something......anything different but it definitely has it's advantages and is plenty fun. For whoever said the "static" conditions are boring, clearly hasn't ran on the NW indoor tracks. You can almost watch the track condition change!

For layouts, I HATE off cambers and washboards that bounce your 2wd all over but that's personally. My fave are table tops with a big triple coming shortly after. Step ups are also fun if you have the motor to make it easy!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

... My favorite surface would have to be clay... Not because of the traction, but because I already do enough things to my car, so I don't want to have to clean it as well...

I had a track in my backyard. It was really loose dirt and it really sent me flying everywhere. Way way way fun! But the best track design I've seen was a few years back at the ifmar nitro worlds.. I believe they were in Italy. The track changed conditions from dirt, to sand, to pebble, and I don't remember if there was another type or if it went back to dirt. A little inconvenient for cleaning (and rocks getting up in your ish but then again, SC wasn't around when this track was made ) but the drivers had a good time!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I like indoor tacky clay. I'll throw a pair if "dirt" tires on the rear to slide a little more into turns.

No matter what kind of dirt you use you car should have upgrades for it.

I also like elevation changes, jumps but no too big, and berms.