Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Video of home track....updated work on track >

Video of home track....updated work on track

Video of home track....updated work on track

Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TAT76
Looks like its going to be a kick in the pants to run on. Like how the jumps aren't huge. Now get some running vids.
It is definitely built for 10th scale, and with no local hobby shops i wanted to keep parts breakage to a minimum. The jumps are plenty big to have fun with. And the track it large enough to keep it fun. Heck, its as big as almost any I raced on from 90-98 (before 1/8th scale tracks were popular.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SuperEk4
Very nice! Big house u hv there
Thanks! Just to clarify.....that is not my house. That is my dad's house, he bought 5 acres from me to build a house to prepare for retirement this year.

If you look at the far side of this picture, you can see the back of my house and shop (not the 2 story, the house on the left with the big shop on the right). I went ranch style instead of fancy. There is a motorcycle track in the land in between this track and my back yard.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by flame56mx
So John-an invitation would be nice, Texas is nice this time of year...I'm still looking 2" of snow in my backyard..
LOL, any time you are in West Texas you are welcome to come on out! I live in Andrews Texas, about 30 miles North of Midland and Odessa, and just less than 2 hours South of Lubbock. When I was first getting back into the hobby I searched for tracks near where I live and could not find any. That is the only reason I got out of the hobby in the fall of 1998, because I moved here after college and there were no tracks. And at that time there was no way I could build a track (no land and no money!)

I tried to get back into the hobby in 2002 (if you search user id justice29 you will see that I bought then sold stuff in a few months.....just couldn't do it without a track.....and when I re-joined I forgot about that user id!).

I'm seriously thinking about putting in this transponder system if I can find more information about it, then our track will be "totally awesome!"

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ounting-System
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SubarooMike
Around here there are no tracks, but it sure looks fun! With out being too personal, how much did that run to you build??
The only money that was spent was on the drainage pipe and stakes to drive them into the ground. 10 rolls were about $580 and a box of 12" stakes were $75. So I have $655 in the track and my dad actually split that cost with me. I put the track right in front of his house to make it easier for him to watch the kids and hopefully encourage him to get one to play with.

I had a friend that had a bobcat that loaned it to me for the first track preparation. I only made the inside lanes and jumps about the width of a bobcat bucket and that was too narrow for my kids and friends and really too narrow to have fun racing on. He no longer had access to it so I used a tractor to widen the lanes and jumps, it took more passes but it was able to get the job done. I did look into renting a bobcat and the quotes were anywhere from $200-$250 a day. But, I had access to the tractor so I just used it. It took me about 3 days to build the track (in total, spread out over a few evenings).

If you have any amount of land, I highly recommend it. I think a track could easily be roughed in with a bobcat in one day, they are much faster than a tractor. It turned out nicer than I ever imagined. I'm going to build a drivers stand next.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PorTX
What part of Texas? I can be there to help try it out within 2-18 hours depending on what part of the state! Looks like maybe the panhandle?
30 miles North of Midland and Odessa and 100 miles South of Lubbock. Any time you are in the area send me a pm and I'll give you directions.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the comments. I drove on it last night for the first time since it has been redone. It was a blast! I think it is perfect for 10th scale. Jumps may be a bit short for mod motors but perfect for stock. I will put in a mod to play with and see what I can clear.

If you are going to build one, get a buddy or two to help, I did this one on my own and it was work! LOL. I'm a 41 year old desk jockey these days!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justicepool
LOL, any time you are in West Texas you are welcome to come on out! I live in Andrews Texas, about 30 miles North of Midland and Odessa, and just less than 2 hours South of Lubbock. When I was first getting back into the hobby I searched for tracks near where I live and could not find any. That is the only reason I got out of the hobby in the fall of 1998, because I moved here after college and there were no tracks. And at that time there was no way I could build a track (no land and no money!)

I tried to get back into the hobby in 2002 (if you search user id justice29 you will see that I bought then sold stuff in a few months.....just couldn't do it without a track.....and when I re-joined I forgot about that user id!).

I'm seriously thinking about putting in this transponder system if I can find more information about it, then our track will be "totally awesome!"

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ounting-System

I am familiar with that area-raced Mx down there a few times-(Odessa) back in the late 80's early 90's (wow am I old). Even played a round of golf or two, which was weird-dead grass..Nice place to get away from the cold weather. Here is where i spend most of my time with a spade and a rake:http://www.ftrcr.com/ 1/2 hour away...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justicepool
Thanks for all the comments. I drove on it last night for the first time since it has been redone. It was a blast! I think it is perfect for 10th scale. Jumps may be a bit short for mod motors but perfect for stock. I will put in a mod to play with and see what I can clear.

If you are going to build one, get a buddy or two to help, I did this one on my own and it was work! LOL. I'm a 41 year old desk jockey these days!
Have you thought about checking with the local "ranchers" to help you with a small tractor? One person, that knows what they are doing in a skid loader or small tractor can get some work done in no time at all. You could most likely find someone even on craigslist that is willing to come help with a tractor for cheap compared to the amount of work they can do.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by flame56mx
I am familiar with that area-raced Mx down there a few times-(Odessa) back in the late 80's early 90's (wow am I old). Even played a round of golf or two, which was weird-dead grass..Nice place to get away from the cold weather. Here is where i spend most of my time with a spade and a rake:http://www.ftrcr.com/ 1/2 hour away...
LOL, don't say that, I'm 2 months older than you.

We just built a large MX track in Andrews County. It is really nice track and the best this side of Dallas in my opinion.

http://www.andrewsmx.org/
Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PorTX
Have you thought about checking with the local "ranchers" to help you with a small tractor? One person, that knows what they are doing in a skid loader or small tractor can get some work done in no time at all. You could most likely find someone even on craigslist that is willing to come help with a tractor for cheap compared to the amount of work they can do.
We have a small kubota tractor that my dad bought to help maintain the land. That is what I used to finish it.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Very nice! Wish we hv land like these in my country