Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
RC8be Gearing suggestions please. >

RC8be Gearing suggestions please.

RC8be Gearing suggestions please.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default RC8be Gearing suggestions please.

Hey everyone. Just got my rc8be up and running after installing a MMM 2200kv motor on 4s lipos. An unsecured motor stripped my spur gear after my fourth run up and down my street. Oh well. I'm starting this thread because the gearing I had set up didn't sound right. It was super loud just rolling the car. I used the stock spur gear which is a 46t. The mamba came with a 18t pinion so I used that instead of the stock 15t pinion. I bought replacement spur gears. One is a metal 44t and two others are the stock 46t plastic spur gears. I installed the metal 44t and ran it with the 18t pinion. The 18t didnt last not even a minute. A tooth broke off. Now I'm left with using the 15t pinion. Since then the car ran fine.

is a 18t not ideal with a 44t? My goal is to use a 44t spur and a 25t pinion setup. Sorry for the noob question.

Here are my specs.

rc8be
mmm 2200kv motor w/ esc combo
elite rc motor mount
44t spur gear
15t pinion
hitec 7955 servo
(2) 2s 4200mah lipos
Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brazie View Post
Hey everyone. Just got my rc8be up and running after installing a MMM 2200kv motor on 4s lipos. An unsecured motor stripped my spur gear after my fourth run up and down my street. Oh well. I'm starting this thread because the gearing I had set up didn't sound right. It was super loud just rolling the car. I used the stock spur gear which is a 46t. The mamba came with a 18t pinion so I used that instead of the stock 15t pinion. I bought replacement spur gears. One is a metal 44t and two others are the stock 46t plastic spur gears. I installed the metal 44t and ran it with the 18t pinion. The 18t didnt last not even a minute. A tooth broke off. Now I'm left with using the 15t pinion. Since then the car ran fine.

is a 18t not ideal with a 44t? My goal is to use a 44t spur and a 25t pinion setup. Sorry for the noob question.

Here are my specs.

rc8be
mmm 2200kv motor w/ esc combo
elite rc motor mount
44t spur gear
15t pinion
hitec 7955 servo
(2) 2s 4200mah lipos
The gear that came with your motor from castle is a mod .08. Your buggy requires mod 1 pinions. The 15 that came with it is a mod 1. If you want to run an 18, just be sure to order a mod 1 18.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arigato View Post
The gear that came with your motor from castle is a mod .08. Your buggy requires mod 1 pinions. The 15 that came with it is a mod 1. If you want to run an 18, just be sure to order a mod 1 18.
like he said.... the 18t is .8 pitch, Mod 1 pinions are 1.0 pitch.... you'll notice that when you put the .8 18t next to the 15t mod 1 they are about the same size.. just like all pinions the larger the teeth cound the larger the diameter of the pinion will be..

depending on track i'd say get some 16t-19t pinions and your set