R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default need help on my trx 2.5 engine

i have the new s-maxx and the motor is wierd. i broke it in right and it works fine. but it runs hot and sometimes when im slowing down from a high speed it will turn off. ive tried everything from the manual and the traxxas website and it still does it.

so if anyone could help me or like give me there settings could you cuase iv used like a half of gallon or so and it still doesnt work right. pllz help thz

alex
vengeanceballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When you let off the gas does the idle drop to far maybe the idle needs to set allittle faster
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
Tech Adept

no ive tried turning it up but then it moves forward which is what its not supposnt to do
Old 08-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what kind of temperature do you think you were running.Does the motor still have good compression? could even be a bad bearing might be sucking in some air
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 PM   #5
Tech Adept

ah well its brand new so i assume its not the bearings. and i dont get your other questions
Old 08-26-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to beetlebz

yeah my money would be on an air leak. make sure all your fuel connections are tight, and that the carb is secure to the crankcase. if youre running an external fuel filter make sure its tight.

seems to me, i read a post somewhere about traxxas fuel tanks cracking just a tiny tiny bit around the screw holes, which was causing tiny airleaks. the dude had similar symptoms to yours. he replaced his fuel tank and was fine! so check and make sure the fuel system is good n snug.

i had a similar problem, and that article promted me to check my car good, and it turned out the fitting on the fuel tank for the line to the carb was loose, and air was getting in. replaced the fuel tank and viola.

edit:
p.s. any nitro car will wander forward at idle, unless you have a good clutch. every nitro car ive ever seen save for a few with mip clutches do it. could flip your clutch shoes around so they slip a bit more, or just use the brake
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
Tech Adept

ok well then if so i can set my idel screw up and that will fix it probly. but i still dont know why its running at like 320
Old 08-26-2004, 11:50 AM   #8
Tech Regular

check for air leaks
Old 08-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #9
Tech Adept

i dont think thats it
Old 08-26-2004, 11:53 AM   #10
Tech Adept

hey why dont you just give me your aim so we can talk easier
Old 08-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #11
Tech Regular

check your pms!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ditch the trx engine, get a sirio .18. mine kicks savage a$$. i replaced because mine had an airleak somewhere, i even replaced crankcase, still had a leak. the 2.5 engine has so many places for a possible leak. just get the sirio, tower hobbies for 189.99. no problems with it at all! i spent over 200 just to try to fix my trx engine, and it still wasn't fixed. so save yourself some dough and get the sirio.
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #13
Tech Adept

lol that the thing i dont have anymoney cuase i used it allk on the car and stuff.

and my engine is brand new i dont want to break in a nother one and my mom probly wont let me get one

for 180 for sure no
Old 08-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

how old are you? i am only 14, every summer i mow lawns, etc, rack up about $500. and whens the b-day? anytime soon? besides, the season is almost over, wait till x-mas, the sirio will prob go down in price by then. and you think break in is teadious? it should be a snap if you read the manual.

Quote:
lol that the thing i dont have anymoney cuase i used it allk on the car and stuff.
what, you spent all your dough on the engine? thats why you get the sirio .18! no mo spendin' dough on an engine! and how much have you spent on it so far?
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
Tech Elite

An air leak will not make the engine shut off. It will cause the engine to run erratically and tuning the engine will be difficult, but it won't cause it to flame out.

Try raising your throttle trim. I'm betting that your servo is closing the carb off completely.

The Traxxas 2.5 is one of the best small block engines out there; there is no reason to upgrade to the Sirio .18 until you've worn out your 2.5 completely and you have enough money to want to try something else.

Your engine will run its best around 270. What tempgun are you using? I'd suggest picking up one of the $40 Pro Exotics units at www.tempgun.com, as they will be more accurate than anything you find at a local hardware store. If you need to lower the temperature, richen the low speed needle; the LSN has more of an effect on running temperature.

No nitro car should creep forward AT ALL when tuned correctly.