Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
losi 8ight t brushless help >

losi 8ight t brushless help

losi 8ight t brushless help

Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default losi 8ight t brushless help

hey guys i have a losi 8ight t 1.0 with a mamba 2200kv setup runninf 4s tekno conversion.

i have a bad sounding clicking/cruching sounds when i brake really hard it is using the motor to brake the mechanical brakes have been removed.

i can accelarate as quick as i want and can brake fairly hard but if i just do sharp jabs on the brakes it makes the noise. i have checked front and back diffs but dont really know what i am looking for.

any input would be really good thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

So you have no clicking on power, and only on brake when you jab the brakes. Does it continuously click when you hold down the brakes while slowing down? I would get it up to speed (on the street) and partially apply the breaks, not a complete lockup, and if you hear click click click, it sounds like you ring/pinion in the diff.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Rear diff most likely, if you're lucky it can be saved. Mesh needs to be tight.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 on the rear diff
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by neobart
Rear diff most likely, if you're lucky it can be saved. Mesh needs to be tight.
i thought if it was the rear diff would be more likely to make the noise under full throttle not braking?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by symmetricon
So you have no clicking on power, and only on brake when you jab the brakes. Does it continuously click when you hold down the brakes while slowing down? I would get it up to speed (on the street) and partially apply the breaks, not a complete lockup, and if you hear click click click, it sounds like you ring/pinion in the diff.
thats correct no clicking under power only when i jab on the brakes. if i get the car upto full speed on the road i can still stop quite quickly without getting the noise but if i just jam then on it clicks but only a couple of times
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gnatsum69
i thought if it was the rear diff would be more likely to make the noise under full throttle not braking?

My truck did the same thing once, I could only hear the clicking when braking hard. Opened up the rear diff and ring and pinion where chewed up beyond saving. That's what I get for not checking the mesh often.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

#1 buy the 8ight 2.0 rear diff housing
#2 shim it up better before it's too late, if it's not already too late.

I didn't post until now because it looked like everyone gave the correct answer, but hop on ebay snag a full rear 2.0 diff if you're smart and keep a few shims around for adjustment.

The 2.0 housing has less issues, but you need to shim and re-shim either the 1.0 or 2.0 versions to keep them healthy.

Good luck

PS this is pretty much only w/ the truggy and the rear diff. In 3+ years of racing the 8ight-e 1.0 and 1.5 buggy I've never had a single issue with either diff, while on my truggy I've replaced about 5 diff pinion/spur combos. This is with a neu 1700 on 5s, then a 2200 on 4s for the last year or so. My nitro has only had 1 go bad, so really it's the combination of brushless torque, and the weight of the truggy. I did swap over to a tekno e-clutch on my truggy and have not had one go bad yet, but I am also more careful w/ the shims now.