Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
On road Slash, anyone done it? >

On road Slash, anyone done it?

On road Slash, anyone done it?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default On road Slash, anyone done it?

To keep my groups costs down, and cuz most of them have a 2wd Slash, I have decided to turn mine into a on road truck. Ive got STRC LCG, Protrac and a MMP to get the adjustment for the power and braking. Anyone else done this and what did you do? Need to decide to use stock tires and wheels, again cuz of we all have them and they work OK for asphalt, or change to some spec tire.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had been thinking of posting this very topic. I have 2 slashes. A 2wd brushed stock and a new 4x4 VXL Platinum. I am thinking of upgrading the motor on the 2wd and slapping a 3s lipo in it just to see how fast it can go. On the Platinum I am wanting to set it up to play on the street but easily convert it back to off-road in case I can hit a backyard track now and then. Looking to go with some Proline Street Fighters but not sure what the best suspension setup would be. I dont have time to race anymore so this will just be a basher. So far it has been a blast on a snow covered street! Hoping someone here might have more insight to setups.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

i had seen a slash turned into a full drift car for sale on here same chassis and stuff but they changed the arms and stuff i believe
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Initiate

the road rage tires look real good to me, get em in a rustler wide wheel and they would really stick
Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think this goes to the Spirit of the OP and if it doesn't I apologize if I hijacked this thread. My Local Track wanted to add another night of Slash Running to their line-up and try and get more people out for their On Road Night. In doing so, the came up with the "Street Slash" outlined below.

The cost is $30ish for the new body and some are using fuel tubing inside the shocks to limit them - so there's not much there either. They are requiring the rest of the Slash be stock which keeps cost down.

I can tell you that they remove the Rear Bumper and turn the Front Bumper upside down. There are no other body modifications needed. The body they chose is a direct fit with the above stated changes. I was amazed at the handling different due to the body design and downward force you get. It's a completely different truck.

The benefit here is like I said - being all stock except the body and limited shocks - you're only out the cost of the body and paint.

Here's the class rules in case it describes more than I did above. Hope this is helpful.

Originally Posted by http://indyslots.com/id5.html
New Indy R/C Gran Turismo Rules:
Chassis Rules:
Chassis will be a complete stock slash with all of the current stock slash rules in place. All parts must be stock with allowance of rpm after market parts if desired as long as they are the same as stock parts.

SHOCKS MUST BE LIMITED!!
Limitting of the shocks is a MANDATORY RULE and will be checked spontaniously.

Front shocks can only have a MAXIMUM travel length from center of top bolt to center of bottom bolt of 2.75 inches

Rear shocks can only have a MAXIMUM travel length from center of top bolt to center of bottom bolt of 3.25 inches

(if you are running the JamAir Shock Stops the first and second hole are all that are allowed for setting)

This rule is in place to protect the integrity of the class and to put the "truck" into a more suited "on road" form. This is not a grey area nor is it negotiable.

BATTERY RULES:
Any ROAR approved Lipo is allowed up to a MAX of a 50c Rating.

BODY RULES:
Body must be the Protoform 1/8th scale PF8-GT.

Body must be cut to all of the cut lines in the form....This includes the wing!

APPEARANCE RULES:
Body must have headlight, grills, and tail light decals on that were supplied with it.

There must be a white number panel on each side no smaller than 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches with black numbers. (Indy Slots will have these in stock and each entrant will receive 2 free of charge if you decide not to paint them on.)

A Indy R/C Gran Turismo windshield decal must be in place. (Indy Slots will have these in stock and each entrant will receive one free of charge.)

These rules have been set into place to keep the appearance of an actual Japanese Gran Turismo class. Please respect all of the rules and lets have some fun racing!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Initiate

exactly what I was looking for. Do you know of any photos of a Slash with the body on it? How does it mount? Any changes to the mount system on the Slash. I cant find any photos, just discussion of this at Indy.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

No changes whatsoever were needed to the mounting - that's why they picked that very specific body. Let me go dig up a photo of how it looks. I've not done it personally yet as I don't have time to race on Friday Nights and Saturdays - but I've seriously thought about it just for bashing.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Here's some pictures - I'll still see if I can find something better...

I know they don't change body mounts. They do flip the front bumper over...

The also limit the shocks - a guy at our track makes and sells Shock Limiters but you can use fuel tubing inside the shock and get the same effect.

Here's the body...

And here's a car - the Black over the wheels is screwed on with the wheels - those are stock wheels hiding under there - have to be to race in this class at our track...

EDIT: Not the picture I thought it was - sorry about that - where did that picture go? I may have to pop over Friday night and snap some shots...

Last edited by jdr00ejr; 02-23-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Nice, thx for looking it up for me.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jdr00ejr
Here's some pictures - I'll still see if I can find something better...

I know they don't change body mounts. They do flip the front bumper over...

The also limit the shocks - a guy at our track makes and sells Shock Limiters but you can use fuel tubing inside the shock and get the same effect.

Here's the body...

And here's a car - the Black over the wheels is screwed on with the wheels - those are stock wheels hiding under there - have to be to race in this class at our track...

I think the second pic is a touring car, not a slash.
It's a mazda body and not the same as the PF8-GT body in the first picture
looks like you can even see the spur gear, top shaft and belt through the windows.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i just finished building a 4x4 slash for the street. jconcepts wheels and proline street fighters put the power to the ground thru tekno axles,acer ceramic bearings and rpm throughout. a mamba monster 2200 esc/motor combo supplies the grunt. it goes okay with a 3c lipo but i am waiting for a 5 or 6 cell to make it shine
Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by beaven
i just finished building a 4x4 slash for the street. jconcepts wheels and proline street fighters put the power to the ground thru tekno axles,acer ceramic bearings and rpm throughout. a mamba monster 2200 esc/motor combo supplies the grunt. it goes okay with a 3c lipo but i am waiting for a 5 or 6 cell to make it shine
Been wondering how the street fighters perform?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i seems like a nice tire comes with those firm foams, i dont have too much run time on them yet but they hold the road pretty good,i will let you know more when the weather breaks.....
Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Initiate

sounds like you are gonna be breaking stuff soon
Old 03-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

anybody have any video of those ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.