Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
tenshock sc401  short course Brushless MOTOR >

tenshock sc401 short course Brushless MOTOR

tenshock sc401 short course Brushless MOTOR

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Feint Motion View Post
5200 kv is wayyy too much for this truck. 4600 is great, 4000kv is the sweet spot
my 5200kv seldom got hot since i have a big heat sink with 30mm YR fan all the time for 3 months..........but finally still happened.......

anyway......i will change to 4600kv for race on tomorrow, hope to get the same feeling as 5200kv.

before i was using 12t on 5200kv......
should i change to 14t on 4600kv ??? or 13t is better ???
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm installing the 4600kv in my SCTE tomorrow (MMP Speed Control). What pinion size should I start out with? medium size outdoor high bite track. Temps at race time will be 105-110 degrees (phoenix summers suck!!!)
Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
The bearing on the pinion side of the shaft is 5mm x 11mm x 4mm. There is about 14 of them on the revo. I just replaced mine w/ a ceramic one in hopes it lasts longer than the stock bearing.
good to know.

Originally Posted by mellen_mpz View Post
I'm installing the 4600kv in my SCTE tomorrow (MMP Speed Control). What pinion size should I start out with? medium size outdoor high bite track. Temps at race time will be 105-110 degrees (phoenix summers suck!!!)
i think they said 13. Now are you ready to for head achs you'll get with the mmp like i did? no matter what i did the mmp didnt work with this motor, but now i got the 1/8 esc coming so we will see
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Feint Motion View Post
5200 kv is wayyy too much for this truck. 4600 is great, 4000kv is the sweet spot
have you tried either? i have run the 5200 and 4600 in my SCTE. i currently have the 5200 with a 12T in there. works great for the tighter, technical outdoor track i run. when i ran it on the larger, 1/8th scale track, i could have and should have went up to the 13T. i ran the 13T at the tighter track and it came off just under 180. with the 12T it was coming off at 150 for the 5 minute quals, 160 for the 6 minute main and didn't get hotter when i ran out the pack after the main. on the larger track with the 12T, it was coming off 130-140 after quals and main.

with the 4600, i was running the 13T on the smaller track and it was 150. never got to run it on the bigger track.

i personally like the feel of the 5200 just a bit more. it feels a tad smoother. you control temps with gearing.

i would start out with the 13T and go from there.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marco926 View Post
i don't want to fix it now........
this is 5200kv running 12t on SCTE…i have another one of 4600kv.....i wonder is the sppeed nearly the same if i use 14t
Send it to me then, I'll fix it I have lots of friends that would like to run that motor!!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez View Post
good to know.

i think they said 13. Now are you ready to for head achs you'll get with the mmp like i did? no matter what i did the mmp didnt work with this motor, but now i got the 1/8 esc coming so we will see

what kind of problems did you have? What do you mean it didnt work?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

ok so, the other night i was setting up my steering on my truck after moving the servo and i tested the motor just to make sure it was working and it just stuttered then stopped. so i took it apart and it was very dirty but the bearings were fine so i blew it all out and put it back together and it worked fine. then the next day just before the A-main it stuttered again so after allot of reving it finaly stopped stuttering and got up to full speed but when i took it off throttle it would stutter again and would take a few pulls on the throttle to get it to start working again so i reved it a bit before putting it on the track and it dident stutter after that and i took first. that night i took it apart and it was a bit dust inside (bearings were still fine) so i blew it out again and this time put electrical tape over all the holes on the front besides the two that are mounting it to the motor mount. and then again it works fine now.

so could this just be because of it getting dirty? or is there something wrong with my motor? the motor has always been geared on the low side and has never been over 130.

thanks for the help!!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

what kind of problems did you have? What do you mean it didnt work?
take a look a few pages back in this thread and you'll see. not just me, but a lot of us here using the mmp had the same nasty cogging stuttering issues. ridley told me not to buy it, but i did as i had no choice here and didnt want to wait days later for the sc8 as i just wanted to go play with it that weekend lesson learned anyways, i sold it and hoping to try it with the 120amp mmm now that castle got those in stock and the sc8 that ill be ordering soon, i hope these tenshock motors pull alot of amps according to ridley so a good esc like the rx8 or sc8 seem to do the job good so far.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC demon View Post
ok so, the other night i was setting up my steering on my truck after moving the servo and i tested the motor just to make sure it was working and it just stuttered then stopped. so i took it apart and it was very dirty but the bearings were fine so i blew it all out and put it back together and it worked fine. then the next day just before the A-main it stuttered again so after allot of reving it finaly stopped stuttering and got up to full speed but when i took it off throttle it would stutter again and would take a few pulls on the throttle to get it to start working again so i reved it a bit before putting it on the track and it dident stutter after that and i took first. that night i took it apart and it was a bit dust inside (bearings were still fine) so i blew it out again and this time put electrical tape over all the holes on the front besides the two that are mounting it to the motor mount. and then again it works fine now.

so could this just be because of it getting dirty? or is there something wrong with my motor? the motor has always been geared on the low side and has never been over 130.

thanks for the help!!
i would try a different motor to eliminate the possibility that it's your esc.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RC demon View Post

thanks for the help!!
Sounds like an esc problem try a different motor or esc see what the results are. Dusty motor wont do anything dirty bearings would cause over heating and once overheated whole host of issues can arise.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

thanks for the fast reply's guys. i will test it out with another motor.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Initiate

I've read this entire thread....however i am getting mixed choices for pinions particularly for the losi ten scte. i see a few members here use a 12-14 tooth are those the general ones for optimal performance.
thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v1ral View Post
I've read this entire thread....however i am getting mixed choices for pinions particularly for the losi ten scte. i see a few members here use a 12-14 tooth are those the general ones for optimal performance.
thanks
yeah. I run 13 with the 4000kv and it's money. Probably 14 when it stops being 100 degrees or so.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by lowroad View Post
yeah. I run 13 with the 4000kv and it's money. Probably 14 when it stops being 100 degrees or so.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Interesting. I'm running the 4000 with a 15t or 16t.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.