tenshock sc401  short course Brushless MOTOR >

tenshock sc401 short course Brushless MOTOR

tenshock sc401 short course Brushless MOTOR

Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ozace View Post
Congrats and well done to you !

I have no beef with tenshock, only they are not accuratly rated.
Loaded kv is not a meaningful figure to rate motors as loads are different in every vehicle we use. When a motor is designed and manufactured it has an unloaded kv and all i would want is it to be accurate (therefore honest).

Motors that can hold their rpm underload will be the strongest motors to use but without a starting point we are lost.

I am not sponsored (nor do i own a hobby store) so i have no barrow to push , i am one of the many that have to pay to play and getting honest ratings is a good starting point.

I understand your love for the motors, especially when you win but i dont understand your blind loyalty for the fudging of the figures regadless of hoe well it goes.
How is it a good starting point, if the motor won't hold anywhere close to that Kv under load? How is it ok to have to gear a Novak or Tekin 550 1-2 teeth taller to get the same top speed as a Tenshock thats rated 1000KV lower? Would seem to me that Novak and Tekin "over rating" their USEFUL KV by 1000-1200KV would be a much bigger issue

Even the new Tekin Pro4 4 pole motor can be said to be vastly over rated in KV, as real world pinion size use for their 4600kv matches up with a 4000kv Tenshock

You are just not making any sense whatsoever Unloaded KV will get you in the ballpark as far as pinion size goes...other than that..it's an absolutely meaningless number. It will stay that way as well until a proper LOADED standard is set.

But, I must say, you seem quite confident in your 60$ chinese motor tester to deliver absolute accurate results
Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
i was thinking maybe you would increase the size of the rotor a bit to bring it closer to the 18mm of the tekin/castle motors.
Hopefully they scratch that idea and stick to the 15mm rotor!! I tested a couple tenshock produced prototypes with larger rotors and they had the same annoying drag brake the castle motor has, and weren't any faster or torquier than the original sc401. It's the reason I won't touch a castle motor....even with an esc that can program push..it only works till you tap the brake then it's right back to the annoying drag.

The new Tekin pro4 however does NOT have the drag brake effect, but they said they had to work pretty hard to get it that way
Old 08-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Finally got some track time on my sc10 4x4 with this motor. running it with a tekin r1 pro and geared with a 12t pinion gives pretty good results at decent temps (don't have a temp gun. just touch). I ripped the r1 out of my mod buggy just to have a short term speedo and I've been pleasantly surprised with the r1's performance. one of the tracks I race at is a 1/8 scale track, and this thing has no problem clearing the large jumps.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

How is the longevity of these Tenshocks? I've read quite a few stories of bearings gone bad, delaminations, and motors becoming slower and slower over time.

What is the general consensus?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MojoManDan View Post
How is the longevity of these Tenshocks? I've read quite a few stories of bearings gone bad, delaminations, and motors becoming slower and slower over time.

I delaminated one, which isn't a terrible thing to have happen, as you can reglue them better than factory. I've had 3 or 4 Novaks delaminate.

I've been running the same bearings and motor all summer. I do, however, use bearing oil every other weekend or so on the motor bearings.

As far as speed, mine are as fast as ever Prolly around 75 packs through each one, work like new.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Will this motor work with a lrp sxx tc spec v1.esc?

THX
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bhambrent View Post
Will this motor work with a lrp sxx tc spec v1.esc?

THX
TC Spec V1 is sensored only. No dice
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MojoManDan View Post

my front bearing was a little crunchy with only 2 packs, but just rtv the no using motor mounts hole and re lube it. also if any one cares i ordered like 30 bearings from rcboyz on ebay for my losi and revo a long time ago. some turned out to be the same size as the tenshock motor and they only cost 1 dollar.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez View Post
my front bearing was a little crunchy with only 2 packs, but just rtv the no using motor mounts hole and re lube it. also if any one cares i ordered like 30 bearings from rcboyz on ebay for my losi and revo a long time ago. some turned out to be the same size as the tenshock motor and they only cost 1 dollar.
I just picked up one of these the other day. I did notice that the bearing is smaller then what comes w/ the novak 550. So I do have some concern about its longevity. Thanks for the bearing info, I'll have to see which revo bearing it matches.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
I just picked up one of these the other day. I did notice that the bearing is smaller then what comes w/ the novak 550. So I do have some concern about its longevity. Thanks for the bearing info, I'll have to see which revo bearing it matches.
it wouldn't hurt to check avid as well. their bearings are only a dollar as well. i think 1 or 2 pages back some one posted the size of the bearing
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Bearing size

The bearing on the pinion side of the shaft is 5mm x 11mm x 4mm. There is about 14 of them on the revo. I just replaced mine w/ a ceramic one in hopes it lasts longer than the stock bearing.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

why this happened ???
i need to race on this sunday.............

Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marco926 View Post
why this happened ???
i need to race on this sunday.............

You delaminated the rotor. Can happen from being too hot. You can glue it all back together with permatex green sleeve retainer and be ready to race in 12 hours....assuming it didn't get super hot and you messed up the stator.

Your bearings look either dirty or rusty..make sure those are ok as well. The markings on the end of the output shaft looks like you possibly had a bearing seizure.

As you cannot re-balance the rotor obviously, offset the drilled holes in the rotor endcaps to split the weight difference. Thats what I did on mine and it has worked great...I've been loaning it out all summer for guys to try out the Tenshock.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
You delaminated the rotor. Can happen from being too hot. You can glue it all back together with permatex green sleeve retainer and be ready to race in 12 hours....assuming it didn't get super hot and you messed up the stator.

Your bearings look either dirty or rusty..make sure those are ok as well. The markings on the end of the output shaft looks like you possibly had a bearing seizure.

As you cannot re-balance the rotor obviously, offset the drilled holes in the rotor endcaps to split the weight difference. Thats what I did on mine and it has worked great...I've been loaning it out all summer for guys to try out the Tenshock.
i don't want to fix it now........
this is 5200kv running 12t on SCTE…i have another one of 4600kv.....i wonder is the sppeed nearly the same if i use 14t
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Marco926 View Post
i don't want to fix it now........
this is 5200kv running 12t on SCTE…i have another one of 4600kv.....i wonder is the sppeed nearly the same if i use 14t
5200 kv is wayyy too much for this truck. 4600 is great, 4000kv is the sweet spot

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.