Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lappers and lappees which is worse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

While ThunderbirdJunkie tries to get out of the way for guys that are lapping him as a courtesy, he feels it is the responsibility of the lapper to pass the lappee cleanly.

ThunderbirdJunkie is there to race and have fun. If he wins, great...but the battles for 3rd or 4th are more fun than stretching into a comfortable lead in front of everybody else.

That being said, going wide to allow lappers past has caused a few crashes because they go wide to line up to pass on the next turn in the esses.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

In a race, even if I'm lap traffic...I am still racing. I am driving my best to try to either stay in front of someone, or catch someone I've got in my sights. Just because you're in the lead and lapping me...that doesn't mean I'm gonna go out of my way to help you out. I'm not going to try to hack you either...but it's on you to pass me when you can, and I won't stop you. I'm not gonna pull off into the loose stuff and slow down for you, when I've got my own race to run. I've been run into/over/through way too many times by people who are fast, but have no control in traffic. Just because you can outqualify people and lead a whole race, that doesn't make you good. Avoiding collisions in traffic and still winning makes you good.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

My only request of the lappee...

When YOU blow your corner and end up going wide, and I dive in under you for the pass... DON'T TURN INTO ME TO BLOCK ME AND WAD ME INTO A PIPE!

You aren't racing me for position! Don't hack me to keep me behind you!

Fine if you don't wanna "let me by"... But don't take me out when I find a way by you because you blew your corner.

Same story if I decide to pass you on the outside... JUST HOLD YOUR LINE AND I'LL DO THE REST!

It just costs us both time.

I've had that happen ALOT...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Why do so many on here sound so bent out of shape about letting the fast guy go? What are you gaining by racing him so hard? Isn't the goal to be "that guy" some day? Let him go, like I said, let him know you'll give him the pass on the straight and you loose nothing. Nobodies asking you to put yourself 4 feet off line in the middle of the corner. You can't watch the fast guy and see where he's faster than you if your infront of him holding him up..

Move or be the banana.....I love that
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Why do so many on here sound so bent out of shape about letting the fast guy go? What are you gaining by racing him so hard? Isn't the goal to be "that guy" some day? Let him go, like I said, let him know you'll give him the pass on the straight and you loose nothing. Nobodies asking you to put yourself 4 feet off line in the middle of the corner. You can't watch the fast guy and see where he's faster than you if your infront of him holding him up..
Well said. I know a guy where he drives like crap if he's in front. He will let a leader pass and just tail him the rest of the way. He usually qualifies around 3rd or 4th in A this way lol.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GizmoJunkie
Well said. I know a guy where he drives like crap if he's in front. He will let a leader pass and just tail him the rest of the way. He usually qualifies around 3rd or 4th in A this way lol.
That's how you get to be "that guy"!!! My thumbs up to that guy.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidR

When YOU blow your corner and end up going wide, and I dive in under you for the pass... DON'T TURN INTO ME TO BLOCK ME AND WAD ME INTO A PIPE!

Fine if you don't wanna "let me by"... But don't take me out when I find a way by you because you blew your corner.

Same story if I decide to pass you on the outside... JUST HOLD YOUR LINE AND I'LL DO THE REST!

HAHAHA, I especially like it when the lappee you just passed clean rams it up your arse in the next turn because he thinks he can drive like you

I usually try to be patient, but if I'm in a tight battle for the lead, I usually only give lappee's 1 turn to move over or they get the boot. If I'm way out front, I will communicate on the stand to not worry about moving out of the way and run their own race.....cause I don't want to mess up a mid pack battle when I'm up a lap or more on the field and can be as patient as I like.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Good strategy. Sounds like he knows his strengths and weakness's. Need more racers like that! I use this strategy when getting lapped in a main. I'll pace the leader to get past the guy in front of me.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DavidR

OK, that is the problem. Everybody has a different take on it. ThunderbirdJunkie prefers to move out of the way for lappers. Most guys assume lappees will move, too...but some assume the lappee will hold their line.

We need to talk to our race organizers and have them come up with a real, concrete rule of the track. IE hold your line, or move over. ONE OF THE TWO. That will eliminate confusion at the track.

If you're at The Factory or CCRCR, ThunderbirdJunkie will hold his line for you. Just watch out for the green/white/blue XXX-SCT or B4.1 that can't drive for shit
That's ThunderbirdJunkie's problem.
"Eric, you are now within 1 second of qualifying for pole position"
CRASH! CRASH! CRASH! CRASH!
"Eric, you are now qualifying dead last in the H main."
Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

proper form at any is simple. If the leaders are on your asss trying to get around, you either go high on the track or low. Let them by smoothly and quickly, Us drivers with a bit of skill can do that with a minimal loss in laps.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
OK, that is the problem. Everybody has a different take on it. ThunderbirdJunkie prefers to move out of the way for lappers. Most guys assume lappees will move, too...but some assume the lappee will hold their line.

We need to talk to our race organizers and have them come up with a real, concrete rule of the track. IE hold your line, or move over. ONE OF THE TWO. That will eliminate confusion at the track.

If you're at The Factory or CCRCR, ThunderbirdJunkie will hold his line for you. Just watch out for the green/white/blue XXX-SCT or B4.1 that can't drive for shit

That's ThunderbirdJunkie's problem.
"Eric, you are now within 1 second of qualifying for pole position"
CRASH! CRASH! CRASH! CRASH!
"Eric, you are now qualifying dead last in the H main."

Simple, the guys in front deserve the leaders and let them through, not try to hi-jack their line. or try to take them out altogether. Let them pass.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Simple, the guys in front deserve the leaders and let them through, not try to hi-jack their line. or try to take them out altogether. Let them pass.
But the alternative take on that if the frontrunners are so good, why can't they make a clean pass?

Just sayin'. Your local track should have a concrete rule so there is no confusion; going wide should not take the leader out if you're lap traffic.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Super Coupe
That was the stock slash class. My piece slash has bald tires and a hand me down esc and motor. I was expecting poor performance but instead I put down the second fastest lap of the day with a 3rd place finish. Fun times
Don't forget you were racing against a slash that had a bent shock shaft and would barely even compress halfway down.

BTW, that motor and ESC has less miles than both mine and Ex Presidents. We haven't put in our new Motors yet. Saving that for the big race. hehe.

Gotta love the Stock Slash class. Fun stress reliever class because ya know the slash is always gonna work. What other truck would you run several months with a bent shock shaft and still win a race with? haha.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

There is never going to be a validated reason why you are a hack or a gashole on the track, please stop searching. At our track in the stock buggy Amains there is a TON of courtesy and respect out there.

For the JConcepts Winter Indoor Nationals club race on Fri. night I actually had the TQ of rds1-2 come up to me and say "dude, thank you so much for letting me by so easy" I was just like, "oh yeah, sure man" not really thinking much about it as that's how I roll. I was sitting in 4th overall after rd2 so I wasnt too terribly far off the pace but still, I kept it clean as always............. I expect the same courtesy from others while on the track.....It must work both ways.....the SCT guys for the most part are the ones with the hack mentality.........or the omg, im in 9th place, Im going to decide the race for cars 1-3.....that's not cool at all and not the way it's supposed to be done......JMO and my .02 I have learned in the little time I have been racing.

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 02-18-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ludacris says it best... "Move B*tch, get out the way! Get out the way!"

Seriously, I've learned that when I see faster guy coming up on me to just let them by. Even if that guy is not lapping me but we are on the same lap, I try to let them by mainly because I don't want them running into me causing me to get marshalled. Usually it is some guy who is going way too fast into the corner and they will eventually wreck and I will just repass them anyway.

One thing that helps immensely is a good race announcer who will let you know that a leader is coming up and to give them some room. Often times you can't tell who is in what position during qualifying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.