R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Truck beginner - getting into it. Help!

Hi,

I'll start off by saying i'm the noob of noobs when it comes to RC off-road, and i've been doing as much research as i can with google and this awesome site, but i'm still not too sure of what to choose for my first car.

Basically, i'm just going to be using it for a track in my backyard, there are NO rc racing communities in my area, and i'll probably take it out to the motocross track to have fun in between rides. My friend that i ride mx with is also interested in halving shipping costs if he gets one also, so there will be a little bit of racing going on between us.

At first i was well interested in the Traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate, but more and more research as shoved me into the attention of the Associated SC10.

Mainly because (from what i can interpret) from my investigating, i feel as though the SC10 is a better performing vehicle, while the Slash is easier to drive thanks to the 4x4 (and can take a bit more of a beating), i will probably kick myself if i went with it, knowing that the SC10 is the better machine.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes, i'm even struggling to understand some of the terminology.

Basically, if i go ahead and order this, as it seems to come with a radio, etc.

rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_41&products_id=57885

What else would you recommend with it? From what i read, i should probably get a li-po battery with it, but that also means getting a different charger, and a balancer (what the hell is a balancer?).

I think i'm just a bit paranoid that i'm going to fork out all this cash, just to find out that i should have ordered a better quality radio, etc. Hence this thread help!
Tobz173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Sorry, probably should have posted this in the Rookie section. oops
Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz173 View Post
Sorry, probably should have posted this in the Rookie section. oops
Go with the slash 4x4. The extra traction makes it way more fun for bashing.
Super Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I agree , the Slash 4x4 is a great truck since your not racing . I have one and love running it when racing and bashing .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, you guys don't think my friend and i will be slightly dissapointed with the turning abilities of the slash? I have read a few instances where people have poured money into them trying to get them to turn better, then biting the bullet with a stock SC10 that will run rings around the slash. But then saying that, plenty of youtube videos show that the slash can still hook around a backyard track...

Heading to Adelaide on Thursday to visit a shop with a few questions reguarding batteries, etc rather than ordering it off the net and finding out of ordered the wrong battery or something... then the fun begins

Briguy, would you recommend getting any spares with the 4x4? The nearest hobby shop is about 3 hours away, so hopefully i can get it all in one hit this Thursday.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, you guys don't think my friend and i will be slightly dissapointed with the turning abilities of the slash? I have read a few instances where people have poured money into them trying to get them to turn better, then biting the bullet with a stock SC10 that will run rings around the slash. But then saying that, plenty of youtube videos show that the slash can still hook around a backyard track...

Heading to Adelaide on Thursday to visit a shop with a few questions reguarding batteries, etc rather than ordering it off the net and finding out of ordered the wrong battery or something... then the fun begins

Briguy, would you recommend getting any spares with the 4x4? The nearest hobby shop is about 3 hours away, so hopefully i can get it all in one hit this Thursday.
One of these fastest trucks at the track I run at is a stock slash with good tires and excellent driver, and there are some very good drivers at the track. It mostly driver and knowing how to set your truck up.
Super Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Tech Regular

i slightly disagree on your opinions being an owner of the slash vxl and the slash 4x4 i would suggest the 2wd vxl model mine performs much better and it will last much longer on batteries without spinning 4 wheels if you want a long run time and it goes a little faster to begin with but if you go 2wd i advise getting the wheelie bar if your running hard surfaces i mean you wont need it for the 7 cell included but if you go 8 or 9 cell or lipo or liFe you will need it!

oh and i forgot to mention you need to maintain the driveshaft on the 4x4 monthly
Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:

Different diff oils , setup , and tires will make a difference how the truck turns and mine gets so much steering I have to turn the steering down on my radio ! Only upgrade I would do is RPM arms and down the road if you end up racing it I would put the Proline shocks on it as they make a huge difference.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As far as spares....Tekno CVDs (indestructable) or spare halfshafts/driveshafts, control arms and spare bearings.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

cool thanks,

Just got off the phone with the shop in Adelaide, they're saying that the 4x4 hasn't been brought into Australia yet because their are still plenty of 2wd stock in the shops. Their theory is they won't sell any 2wd if they bring in the 4x4's

Looks like ebay is the go.

This would suffice? cgi.ebay.com.au/Traxxas-1-10-Slash-4x4-2-4GHz-Ultimate-RTR-Black-Red-/330487666201?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4c f2999619

Although i am a bit worried that they won't be able to ship it because of the battery. Anyone know of an Australian shop that sells them?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
cool thanks,

Just got off the phone with the shop in Adelaide, they're saying that the 4x4 hasn't been brought into Australia yet because their are still plenty of 2wd stock in the shops. Their theory is they won't sell any 2wd if they bring in the 4x4's

Looks like ebay is the go.

This would suffice? cgi.ebay.com.au/Traxxas-1-10-Slash-4x4-2-4GHz-Ultimate-RTR-Black-Red-/330487666201?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4c f2999619

Although i am a bit worried that they won't be able to ship it because of the battery. Anyone know of an Australian shop that sells them?
It shows they will ship to Australia and not listed in the excluded areas .

To double check you can call them - 1-800-342-6464
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

i heard the new Team Associated sc10 4x4 is really nice and durable.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb4 View Post
i heard the new Team Associated sc10 4x4 is really nice and durable.
you cant tell that yet... it isn't out for another month.. let it have some time out in the real world before jumping on that one...
TailsNeon556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doesnt towerhobbies ship internationally? You can get $50 off your order from them as well.
merx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by merx9 View Post
Doesnt towerhobbies ship internationally? You can get $50 off your order from them as well.
+1
AnGeRz is offline   Reply With Quote