Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Titan 12T Motor in a Associated SC10 >

Titan 12T Motor in a Associated SC10

Titan 12T Motor in a Associated SC10

Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Zako51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 451
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Titan 12T Motor in a Associated SC10

Will a Titan 12T Motor (one that comes stock with the slash) fit in a Team Associated SC10?
Zako51 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Driver86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 922
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zako51
Will a Titan 12T Motor (one that comes stock with the slash) fit in a Team Associated SC10?
Fit? Absolutely. However it will fry the stock RTR ESC. So be sure to bring over the XL-5 with it.
Driver86 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
  #3  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Zako51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 451
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Would it run quicker if I switch it over to the Titan 12t and XL5 and would I still be able to run in the stock class?

Thanks
Zako51 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 12:59 PM
  #4  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (114)
 
blade329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 5,124
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zako51
Would it run quicker if I switch it over to the Titan 12t and XL5 and would I still be able to run in the stock class?

Thanks
I don't see why you couldn't run it in a stock class.
blade329 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
  #5  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Driver86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 922
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zako51
Would it run quicker if I switch it over to the Titan 12t and XL5 and would I still be able to run in the stock class?

Thanks
Depends. Everybody's rules are different unless they go by ROAR. If by would it run quicker you mean that you think the Traxxas motor is going to be faster because it is a 12T and the SC10's Reedy is a 17T then you would be wrong. The SC10's Reedy is actually a bit quicker while the Traxxas' Titan is a has a bit more torque. You can't go by the # of turns because the Traxxas is a 550 and the Reedy is a 540.
Driver86 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
  #6  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Zako51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 451
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

But when referring to more torque, your saying that it would get going a bit quicker...The reason I want to make a change is:

The wires going from the ESC to the motor, the ESC and the motor itself get real hot real quick...

I have an extra Tital 12t and and XL-5 laying around. Would you recommend switching it out or can I fix my "heat" problem???
Zako51 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 PM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Driver86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 922
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zako51
But when referring to more torque, your saying that it would get going a bit quicker...The reason I want to make a change is:

The wires going from the ESC to the motor, the ESC and the motor itself get real hot real quick...

I have an extra Tital 12t and and XL-5 laying around. Would you recommend switching it out or can I fix my "heat" problem???
If it's getting hot and you're running with the stock gaering setup then I would swap it out. There was a bad run of the ESCs in the RTR SC10s and they melted. I was one of the unfortunate people that it happened to. Associated replaced the ESC but by that point I had decided to take the plunge and go brushless.

As for the Titan being quicker than the Reedy, no. The Reedy will go faster top speed wise. The Titan will get to its top speed quicker.
Driver86 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
  #8  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Zako51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 451
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Ya thats what I meant, My two local tracks are built for SC and you want the most torque as possible. Of course brushless would be fun, but my slash is brushless and so is my HPI Vorza. I want this SC10 to be able to compete in the stock SC.

Do you know of any necessary low budget upgrades to make to the SC10. I am aware that being competitive is all in the driving but a few upgrades cant hurt
Zako51 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
lowroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,126
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Dude... no. No titan. seriously.
lowroad is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Zako51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 451
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lowroad
Dude... no. No titan. seriously.
Y, whats your point!
Zako51 is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
lowroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,126
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zako51
Y, whats your point!
two main points.

a. the stock sc10 brushless is much better
b. the titan breaks. A lot.
lowroad is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
  #12  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
mfarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 202
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

at our local track, the classes r R.O.A.R. specific. stock sc can only be ran with a 17.5 brushless sensored esc and motor, with no timing boost. I ran with my 3300 reedy til i got a the tekin 17.5 combo, but it did not matter cause i was not winning. If these rules r not in place at ur trackj, run the reedy 3300, it is fast and has a huge amount of torque with the rtr gearing.
mfarr is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 AM
  #13  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Driver86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 922
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Lowroad is right about the Titan not lasting. Be sure to clean it after each race night. They have a fan in the motor can itself and it inhales dirt. I few guys I know that used to run them started putting filters around them, but of course that will make them run hotter.

As for MUST have upgrades. The RPM bumper and chassis brace (built into one unit), rear toe-in hubs and rear tires are your best bets. The stock tires are ok for the front but the absolutely stink on the rear.
Driver86 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 AM
  #14  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
lostinbaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Frankfort, Illinois U.S.A.
Posts: 770
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I quit running the "Stock Slash" class at our local track because I had to buy Titan motors to often to remain competitive. There is a reason they developed brushless motors.
lostinbaja is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM
  #15  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (9)
 
mhodgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bethlehem, Ga
Posts: 236
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

There must have been a huge bad batch of Titans on the market...

I ran a stock slash for some time and never had an issue with the Titan. Just made sure to change the pinion to control the temps a little (stock was too much). I think it hit close to 200 degree's on one run shortly after I got it.

I'm looking to do the same thing for my second SC10 but I'm going to use the XL5 also. My 4yo loves the SC10 and I like the training for him (High speed runs into a wall don't really do good for the truck?). I know I can turn down the expo on the controller but I'd like for his fingers to not "accidentally" hit the switch.
mhodgie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.