Titan 12T Motor in a Associated SC10

Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowroad
two main points.

a. the stock sc10 brushless is much better
b. the titan breaks. A lot.
The reason I asked this question in the first place is because, my stock SC10 motor and ESC get really hot real quick. I have an extra titan motor and xl5 laying around.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you have that extra stuff laying around i say give it a shot, its something you already have.

I have talked with a bunch of guys at the track and the titan sounds pretty bad though. I have a reedy 3300 that came with a rtr b4 and it barely got warm on stock gearing. I went up like 2 teeth on the pinion and it changes that story real quick. The reedy likes to be geared pretty low. Are you running stock gearing on it?

I havent tried the reedy in the sc, but i do know the sc is like twice the weight or something over the buggy. Theres a whole lot more for that motor to manage with the extra weight and larger tires, etc. So that takes gearing equations even lower.

I dont even use that stuff any more, i found the magic in a sensored 17.5 system and wont look back.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

What sensored 17.5 motor are you talking about???

and, will the Traxas XL-5 ESC work with any brushed motor???
Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zako51
What sensored 17.5 motor are you talking about???

and, will the Traxas XL-5 ESC work with any brushed motor???
The XL-5 will work with 550 motors 12T or more and 540 motors to 15t or more.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zako51
The reason I asked this question in the first place is because, my stock SC10 motor and ESC get really hot real quick. I have an extra titan motor and xl5 laying around.
If this is a stock truck and the pinion (87/18) has never been changed then that's why it gets hot so quick. That leaves you with an FDR of 12.57! If you have an extra 20t pinion laying around somewhere try that one out. That will bump your FDR to 11.31 and cool things off a little.

Not sure why AE didn't follow their own recommendations in their own manual and place the correct pinion on it.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Will that 550 motor actually fit in the sc10?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mhodgie
If this is a stock truck and the pinion (87/18) has never been changed then that's why it gets hot so quick. That leaves you with an FDR of 12.57! If you have an extra 20t pinion laying around somewhere try that one out. That will bump your FDR to 11.31 and cool things off a little.

Not sure why AE didn't follow their own recommendations in their own manual and place the correct pinion on it.
Will having th 87/18 cause the ESC and the wires connecting the ESC to the Motor to get hot?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

I regularly run the Titan in my Blitz (same transmission ratio as the SC10). I gear mine @ 20/88 and it loves it all day long. I race only and dont bash, so the motors last me quite a few race days before slowing. One thing you will have to do it cut the end of the shaft off the motor, or it will hit the gear cover. Just a small amount is all that is needed, quickly handled with a dremel type tool.

For your heat question, sound like you have poor connections generating heat. Try taking the connectors off and solder the 2 ends together to eliminate the problem. I do that with all my brushed motors, no connectors between the ESC and the motor, just a direct wire.

I say swap the motor/esc out and have fun. Its a free change, doesnt cost anything because you already have everything you need!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are you guys getting the titan 12t to fit without modifying the the motor plate? I cannot get the motor all the way in without making the motor hole in the motor plate larger by a little. I might just take out my dremel and have at it.

*Reason why I yanked the brushless system in favor of the XL5 Titan 12T combo is that one of my local track runs manufactures class and open only while the other runs open only. I am just getting back into RC cars after over 10 years away (last car I really remember buying was a Losi XXX Spec Buggy), so I figured that running manufacture class (only limited to RTR brushed motor combos) would help me improve my driving before I make the jump over to Open.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dubels
Are you guys getting the titan 12t to fit without modifying the the motor plate? I cannot get the motor all the way in without making the motor hole in the motor plate larger by a little. I might just take out my dremel and have at it.
I race in a oval super stock spec class that requires titan 12t or equivalent in a short course chassis..

Getting the titan to fit in the sc10 chassis has been a real pain... you need to drill out the center hole and both mounting holes to allow the 12t to be screwed in. In addition, you have to cut the end off the shast as jk said.

The class motor rules are:Traxxas Titian 12T or OFNA/Jammin 12turn SCRT brushed.

anyone have an opinion as to which of these 2 motors are better ?? or, any other 12t brushed motor that might be faster..