Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR spec SC 4x4 motors??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ROAR spec SC 4x4 motors??

Hey all, If someone has posted this yet, I cannot find it...

According to the current ROAR rule book on their web site (as of Feb 11, 2011) states "Any ROAR approved '05' size brushless motor"....

When you check the rules/definition of an "05" size motor, none of the motors that Tekin, Castle, or Novak are selling as "Short Course" motors meet the size requirements...they are all too big!

What's up with this? SC trucks are required to weigh 25% more than even the closest TC class, yet they expect us to run TC motors? I know the speeds are OK, but I'd be worried about temperatures...

Sorry, I know gearing has a lot to do with it too, but take a look at the real cars... Real touring cars typically run in the 400-500 horsepower range.... but the Short Course trucks are 800 horsepower...

It should be the same in RC. Everyone knows that too much power is useless if you can't put it to the ground....but using an underpowered motor in a big vehicle is just asking for catastrophic failure...
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't like it much either, but the Traxxas stock motor has worked great for me in my slash 4x4. I also had a 13.5 in there that i had zero temp issues with. That aside, I wish my Castle MMP SCT system was legal.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
Hey all, If someone has posted this yet, I cannot find it...

According to the current ROAR rule book on their web site (as of Feb 11, 2011) states "Any ROAR approved '05' size brushless motor"....

When you check the rules/definition of an "05" size motor, none of the motors that Tekin, Castle, or Novak are selling as "Short Course" motors meet the size requirements...they are all too big!

What's up with this? SC trucks are required to weigh 25% more than even the closest TC class, yet they expect us to run TC motors? I know the speeds are OK, but I'd be worried about temperatures...

Sorry, I know gearing has a lot to do with it too, but take a look at the real cars... Real touring cars typically run in the 400-500 horsepower range.... but the Short Course trucks are 800 horsepower...

It should be the same in RC. Everyone knows that too much power is useless if you can't put it to the ground....but using an underpowered motor in a big vehicle is just asking for catastrophic failure...
This topic has been covered in many threads. The fact is the rules you are referencing are 2010 rules. The new 2011 rules are expected next month and the rumors are that the 550 motor specs will be included. Sit tight until then and the outcome can be discussed once ROAR announces something.

On one of the AE Videos for the new SC10 4x4 they mentioned that they design the new chassis to meet the new 550 rules. What they are who knows but it seems that AE knows.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I was just thinking about this topic yesterday as I was looking through a car action magazine. I saw a novak ad stating their havok pro & 550 ballistic motor combo was "roar legal"...maybe under the old rules I'm guessing? I don't race too many big races anymore so I'm not so worried about being roar legal, but it sucks when you want to run a big roar race and your equipment would have to change to be legal.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
This topic has been covered in many threads. The fact is the rules you are referencing are 2010 rules. The new 2011 rules are expected next month and the rumors are that the 550 motor specs will be included. Sit tight until then and the outcome can be discussed once ROAR announces something.

On one of the AE Videos for the new SC10 4x4 they mentioned that they design the new chassis to meet the new 550 rules. What they are who knows but it seems that AE knows.
I've heard from a pretty reliable source that the 550's will be legal this year. That AE video just confirms what was said.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am not an official at ROAR by any means. However from what info I have the spec's will allow a "550" sized motor that is of 2 pole 3 slot design. So "most" of the current motors will be allowed.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I am not an official at ROAR by any means. However from what info I have the spec's will allow a "550" sized motor that is of 2 pole 3 slot design. So "most" of the current motors will be allowed.
Which will leave out the 4 pole Traxxas junk, I mean stuff..
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Which will leave out the 4 pole Traxxas junk, I mean stuff..

Yeah, those Traxxas 4 pole motors are total junk.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Poor castle. Their new 4 poles are about as good as I have seen. They will still sell a ton anyway.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Poor castle. Their new 4 poles are about as good as I have seen. They will still sell a ton anyway.
Except for the CC/Neu 1415, all the CC/Neu 14xx series motors are in the required dimensions of the 540 allowed size.
So, I don't see it as a problem unless ROAR would actually limit the pole count which I don't see happening.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

What is the logic in ruling out 4 pole motors???
That makes no sense to me, I just can't think of a reason why?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Well Roar has a 2 pole 3 slot spec as well as sensored rule. That pretty much means no castle motors. Too bad I love the new 4 pole motors. They are a game changer IMO.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

does not make sense to not allow 4 poled senseless motors but sensored motors can then have boost,turbo and all sorts added,this gives the typical motor and esc of the month needed to win scenario.
were as senseless is a much closer playing field.
or is roar deliberately making 1 or 2 manufacturers the only ones who will sell roar approved motors.
the sct system from castle says roar approved ?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

I would think the reason for 2 pole is that 4 or more poles create more torque. These rules are only to keep the playing field a level as possible, this is only a issue in stock classes( IE 17.5, 13.5) there are plenty of open classes that allow you to run whatever you want......BB
Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy-crawl
is roar deliberately making 1 or 2 manufacturers the only ones who will sell roar approved motors.
As far as I know castle is the only one who doesn't make a sensored motor.....BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.