R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Body durability vs body thickness (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/479686-body-durability-vs-body-thickness.html)

woodys3b 02-07-2011 03:56 AM

Body durability vs body thickness

I've been doing this for only a year now. When I started, I assumed that the thicker bodies would be more durable. Now that I have used a thinner light weight body, I'm not so sure. What I've noticed is that the thinner bodies flex more easily and thus don't crack as easily.

Am I on track here? Has anyone else come to a similar conclusion?

defcone 02-07-2011 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by woodys3b (Post 8613509)
I've been doing this for only a year now. When I started, I assumed that the thicker bodies would be more durable. Now that I have used a thinner light weight body, I'm not so sure. What I've noticed is that the thinner bodies flex more easily and thus don't crack as easily.

In your situation, yes. But I've also found that they rip easier as well, so any paint schemes done on the body will affect it from the knife markings where you cut the masking.

kschu 02-07-2011 07:37 AM

i prefer lightweight shell over regular shell...

regular shell tend to crack easily if compare with lw shell...

Brian Bosley 02-07-2011 07:57 AM

From nitro racing, I had the chance to get a specific body in 3 thicknesses. 0.25mm (lw usually), 0.30mm (normal usually) and 0.42mm.

Two 0.42 bodies lasted me an entire year of weekly racing around wood, when they did finally start to crack it was catastrophic but they didn't get the rear tire tuck anywhere near as easily as the thinner bodies. They were heavy though.

From electric racing around PVC, the thin bodies tend to tear very easily if you rub the inside edge.

I don't think 0.25 to 0.30 is that much of a difference in weight while 0.42 was heavy with a slight edge of durability to 0.25 if you don't hit much and 0.42 if you do but you can't get it anyway. It all depends on the lexan too, I had some knock off bodies that were super thin on one side and super thick on the other. Protoform makes some really consistent bodies though.

Mowell 02-07-2011 01:12 PM

I was wondering the same thing Andy. I purchased normal instead of LW LTCR and I got a few cracking problems.

67StingrayJ 08-16-2017 04:26 PM

I'm going to give 0.03" a try. I'm molding a new front bonnet for my Losi TEN SCBE.