Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help me understand the popularity of SCT racing. >

Help me understand the popularity of SCT racing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me understand the popularity of SCT racing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Help me understand the popularity of SCT racing.

So last night I showed up to a new local track in my area as I wanted to see if my 8 year old son would show any interest. What I saw there was kind of shocking to me. No longer was stock buggy or stock truck the most dominant class, but rather it was SCT. After watching the racing, I'm trying to figure out why that is. Seems like compared to stock truck (which I used to race and really enjoy), the SCT's were less stable, looked less nimble and looked heavy as heck over jumps. What exactly am I missing here? Are they more fun to drive than stock truck? Seems to me the SCT's look great and more realistic, but unless the track is particularly suited for them the chassis and suspension are severly limiting.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Drive one and you'll figure it out!

I bought my son a RTR for xmas. Went to track to watch him run. I took one run on track and was hooked. Bought Factory Team truck later that week.

I think that they don't handle as well is what makes them fun! Takes more driver input.

Just my 2cents!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

This has to be thread number 331 on why SCT is so popular. LOL.

Drive one. They may not handle as well as a buggy, but what in real life does? they are very realistic, you are always on the edge of control. The trick is to get it going fast enough to be on the edge of control without going over the edge. It is a ton of fun.

Oh, and seeming heavy over the jumps....if you learn to adjust the attitude of the truck in the air most of the trucks kinda "float" over the jumps.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've driven one, and still don't see the appeal.

If I want a hard to drive truck I'll get a Savage. Not likely though.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

to each his own. you cant argue with the affect the Slash had on the RC market, nor can you argue with the success of the class. Its not for everyone.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Schuie Driver
So last night I showed up to a new local track in my area as I wanted to see if my 8 year old son would show any interest. What I saw there was kind of shocking to me. No longer was stock buggy or stock truck the most dominant class, but rather it was SCT. After watching the racing, I'm trying to figure out why that is. Seems like compared to stock truck (which I used to race and really enjoy), the SCT's were less stable, looked less nimble and looked heavy as heck over jumps. What exactly am I missing here? Are they more fun to drive than stock truck? Seems to me the SCT's look great and more realistic, but unless the track is particularly suited for them the chassis and suspension are severly limiting.
Realistic looks for one. Plus, with the body enclosing the wheels incidental contact with other trucks and the pipes doesn't lead to being marshalled necassrily.

Also, with the smaller contact patch of the tires that somewhat helps even the field a bit more, at least with 2wd's anyway.

One nice thing about the SCT's also is that since they have a longer wheelbase they tend to handle larger tracks that also race 1/8 scale off road better than 1/10 buggies or trucks.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The attraction "use" to be the "it was a cheaper class to run" and their was some form of realism to it. Now most of the bigger RC companies are making a race version of an SC truck and most either have a 4x4 or their in the process of making one, with the 4x4 versions most of the guys are running 1/8th scale electronics (guilty)..so running the 4x4 SC class it's not cheap anymore for sure..the fun for me at first was trying to make a "brick" handle while staying within the rules, and the racing was very competitive plus you could bang a little, nowadays this class has turned into a hack festival..I know "rubbin is racin" but center punching someone in a corner is not rubbin..um..k..it's still a fun class and if your local track has a "stock" class it can be a cheap class to get someone started into racing..like a kid..
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Ya I still have to go with cheap way to get started into the hobby. Most of the newer racers I know went with the SCT because of price and once they decide they enjoy the hobby they move into other classes were more speed and more expensive rides are.

They are fun to run just because there is not much that can be done to make them real race machines like buggies are. So the racing ends up being a little tighter with more lead changes due to wrecks.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We're starting a run what you got class in the race series i partake in.

Basically if it's Revo, Savage, LST, truggy or buggy, electric or nitro you can race in that class. Also a lower starting fee than the other classes.

We hope it will attract some first time racers.

We tried a SCT class last year, no dice.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Scale realism, durability and low cost. Easy to get into the hobby this way not only at home, but also on the track.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sorry for "another" thread on this topic guys. Didn't realize there were apparently 300 of them already out there.

I can see where the buy in price of the SCT class is enticing as so many of these trucks appear to be available in RTR form for less than $300.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

NOT AGAIN!!

search for other threads like this, read them and your question will be answered (over and over and over again)

i loved racing st and buggies back in the day, sct isn't anything to exciting.. but its a challange just like any other racing class.. its the challange and competition that make it a big turnout.. just like all the other classes that are popular or where popular..
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by neobart
We're starting a run what you got class in the race series i partake in.

Basically if it's Revo, Savage, LST, truggy or buggy, electric or nitro you can race in that class. Also a lower starting fee than the other classes.

We hope it will attract some first time racers.

We tried a SCT class last year, no dice.
One of the local tracks around here did a small race in the mall to get some attention in the hobby. The club made a little small track for SCT and stadium trucks and didnt charge entry fees to come race because it was basicly just to show off the hobby. By the time the racing started there was a large crowd around watching the action.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'd like some help understanding why no one uses the flipping search function.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...o-popular.html
Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I am and always will be a Buggy racer but enjoy SC and will be running it instead of Buggy for a while. The reasons are simple for me. I can run my SC on the same set of tires for months and not fall off the pace much while in buggy it's new tires every time to the track. The other reason, and probably more important is track design. People like to make the tracks 'technical' by adding jumps and other crap. What this amounts to is a one line track and passing becomes a bit difficult if you are running in a competitive class where mistakes aren't common. If you do get an edge on someone in buggy and they try to keep you behind tires touch and you crash. Do this with a SC truck and you can rub and bang all the way around the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.