R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-16-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Is this a good Stadium Truck for Beginner?

My 12 year old son wants an R/C stadium truck very badly. My only experience has been with nitros, so I am new to electrics and I'm trying to help him choose the best fit for him. We decided an electric would be good for his first truck, and also thought a kit would be good since I can help him and it will be a great learning experience for him, and he will get comfortable working with and repairing his truck. He does not intend to do any racing at the local track...just backyard blasting around with his uncle, grandfather, friends, and me on a dirt track we built. Money spent needs to be kept as low as reasonable since he is using money he has saved as well as birthday/Christmas money from others. I already have a good charger, so we are set there. Questions:

1) We have been looking at an RC10T3 which seems to be good quality and reasonably priced. Would this be a good choice?

2) If we go with the RC10T3, I think we've narrowed it down to the "Basic Truck Kit" or the "Team Kit". From what I can tell, it looks like the Team Kit has the advantage of bearings instead of bushings, PTFE coated shocks instead of gold shocks (whatever that is), and MIP CVD's instead of dogbone rear axles. He would like to go with the Basic kit since a motor is included and he can keep the initial cost down by upgrading components later. Is that wise, or is it worth it to go more expensive now?

3) Can anyone recommend a speed control, battery pack, and pinion gear that would be a good fit?

4) Any other truck recommendations we should look at?

Thanks for any help!
Cuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to AE Basher Send a message via Yahoo to AE Basher

the T3 is a great truck, but not the best for a first truck, you can do alot to screw it up. a Traxxas Rustler is probally your best bet. very strong, not much to screw up.

for batts i would recomend some Orion 2400 Rocket packs.
as for ESCs LRP and Novak make the best. You could probally go with a reversing ESC, like the Novak Rooster (15 turn limit, 7 cells) or the LRP Runner +(17 turn limit, 7 cells), i have the Runner and it is very good. I also have the Roosters Big Brother the Super Rooster, it works great.

BTW: the T3 is not an ok quality kit, it is one of the highest quality and best kits you can buy, but it is more of a racing truck, not a basher. But if you do bash it, it will hold up great, trust me.

Last edited by AE Basher; 08-16-2004 at 11:43 AM.
AE Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

The T3, is still a very good truck. But since it's no longer produced, because of the T4. Parts will become harder to find later on (like in a year or 2).

If you want a T3; I dont know if the sport T3 had bearings, else add these to the MUST HAVE items then calculate what is the best of the 2 trucks for you. Dont get the Team Factory kit, it has graphite parts which are more stif but they will break more easily

Get a brandname ESC even big "race" companys like Novak or LRP have budget esc's.

For batteries see what the shop has, look-out for the NIMH cells you need a special charger for those.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to DerekL

Get eh T4 RTR. The T3 is a great kit, but just a get the T4 in the RTR package
DerekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I personally recommend that you get a kit vehicle and not the RTR as this gives you experience with building that particular vehicle. If you can find the T3 really cheap in kit form it would be a good buy. The T3 actually is very durable and RPM still makes its protection parts for it. The T3 IMHO is more durable than the T4 and it is the vehicle that I sent my newphews as there first rc vehicle.

If you however want something that is the current race level vehicle, a T4 is the way to go. Ultimate hobbies sells the team kit for $160 shipped I believe.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to beetlebz

my advice is dated some, but associated trucks are not real great bashers. dont get me wrong, they are great trucks, but its like buying a mercedes limo to go to the 7-11 for smokes. just a bit overkill

i think traxxas rustler is probably the best beginners car out there. LOTS of hop ups available, and they can take a lickin. they make one with an ESC now too, so i hear.

good luck!
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:20 AM   #7
Tech Regular

I agree with Beetlebz Rustlers are great cars. IT was my first.
terrible ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:12 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I don''t really disagree with you on the rustler, my thing is that if you plan to put it on the track at all, in the long run you will want a vehicle that had that in mind with its design. the T3 is old, but you still can get parts for it and it was quite durable.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:02 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to beetlebz

im sure The JANG from ultimatetraxxas.com would disagree with you there Cain.

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/rustler_phase3.html

frankly i wouldnt mind one of these puppies myself

oh yeah, and w00t! another connecticutite
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote