Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
new racer Short Course Truck questions >

new racer Short Course Truck questions

new racer Short Course Truck questions

Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? new racer Short Course Truck questions

I am looking at getting into the short course hobby and I have a couple questions and in the end, looking to get an overall recommendation.

First off what is recommended, 4wd or 2wd. Please give me some pros and cons for both. I always love the 1:1 full scale 4wd CORR trucks, but with these trucks is there any advantage with 4wd.

Second, by reading thing on the internet I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Losi xxx-SCT, the SC10/ SC10 4x4, the Blitz, or the Traxxis Slayer or Slash. How is the Losi Ten-SCTE 4wd (couldnt find much on that model). Also I couldnt find much on the Duratrax Vendeta.

Also, I know it is a bigger scale, but any opinions on the CEN Matrix 5SC would be appreciated.

A couple of the aspects I am looking for is value, durability, options to upgrade (aftermarket parts), and speed.

In a way, i would like a Kit that i can have the experience of putting it together but RTR is fine. One things i am confused by is when you buy a kit, are you restricted to buying the electronics from that company as well. Or can you buy better electronics from another aftermarket company.

Also, motors. Brush-less and non Brush-less. What are the differences, and pros and cons of both.

Oh and uses. I will be mostly racing it around my 1 acre yard, maybe setting up a race course etc. Casual racing with other trucks, but nothing serious yet.

I know this is alot, but I recently got turned on by this hobby and I plan on getting one soon and a crawler in the future.

Thank you for all of your help!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScaleJK4x4 View Post
I am looking at getting into the short course hobby and I have a couple questions and in the end, looking to get an overall recommendation.

First off what is recommended, 4wd or 2wd. Please give me some pros and cons for both. I always love the 1:1 full scale 4wd CORR trucks, but with these trucks is there any advantage with 4wd.

Check at your track what is run. Around here for me, both are pretty popular so if that's the case you have the choice. 4wd is definitely A LOT easier to drive than a 2wd drive truck. It allows bigger motors, and faster pase racing similar to an 8th scale buggy. The 2wd class is still fun too.

Second, by reading thing on the internet I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Losi xxx-SCT, the SC10/ SC10 4x4, the Blitz, or the Traxxis Slayer or Slash. How is the Losi Ten-SCTE 4wd (couldnt find much on that model). Also I couldnt find much on the Duratrax Vendeta.

The Losi XXX-SCT, SC10, and Blitz would be great choices for 2wd. For 4wd, the SC10 4x4 would be my first choice and the new Losi 4wd SCT. Also check your local hobby shop, assuming you have one. They may stock parts for a certain brand so this could help in making your decision. Also, whether you want to bash or race makes a big impact. The Slash would be a good basher, but not as good of a racer.

Also, I know it is a bigger scale, but any opinions on the CEN Matrix 5SC would be appreciated.

I've never heard of this, so I'd probably stick away from it.

A couple of the aspects I am looking for is value, durability, options to upgrade (aftermarket parts), and speed.

In a way, i would like a Kit that i can have the experience of putting it together but RTR is fine. One things i am confused by is when you buy a kit, are you restricted to buying the electronics from that company as well. Or can you buy better electronics from another aftermarket company.

You can buy electronics from other companies. You do not have to use the same as that company. Tekin and Castle Creations are both excellent.

Also, motors. Brush-less and non Brush-less. What are the differences, and pros and cons of both.

Brushless = good. Brushed = bad. That's in simplest words. Brushless is better in every possible way. Faster, more powerful, more reliable, better run time, more efficient.

Oh and uses. I will be mostly racing it around my 1 acre yard, maybe setting up a race course etc. Casual racing with other trucks, but nothing serious yet.

I know this is alot, but I recently got turned on by this hobby and I plan on getting one soon and a crawler in the future.

Thank you for all of your help!
Answers in bold.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

AWESOME! Thanks for the help! What is the difference between a "basher" and any other one?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScaleJK4x4 View Post
AWESOME! Thanks for the help! What is the difference between a "basher" and any other one?
Basically, the basher would be less of a racer but very durable. Not saying the others aren't that durable. The Traxxas Slash/4x4 have been proven good at this. Check youtube, people beat the crap out of them. However, the Slashes aren't as good on a track as the other brands. You could bash an Associated SC10 or an XXX-SCT, but I'm not sure the results wouldn't be as good as the Slash. I strictly raced my SC10 and it definitely wasn't as durable as my friend's Slash but it was better on the track.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

if you want a perfect basher and is race capable get a slash vxl not the 4x4 and brushless is a more less need if you want to do serious bashing but if you want to race id say the blitz or an sc10 and about the kits: you do not need to use the make of the cars motor maybe go with a mamba or a novak tekin etc and brushless is much faster and less likely to wear out but brush is mostly a race motor cause they are more likely to get gritt and dirt in. the velineon "traxxas" motor is a good motor as well but for basher the slash vxl rtr hands down