Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why is SCT so popular? >

Why is SCT so popular?

Why is SCT so popular?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gabe.nethery View Post
Both of you are right. Traxxas did hit on something huge. Just like Tamiya did with their TCS series. In order to maintain their series they will have to be a bit dictator-like and maintain a tight control over the rules. I understand the appeal but and I hope that SCT racing can maintain on the same course of being beginner friendly yet fun for older drivers also. I just don't see that happening aside from the Slash-spec races. I look at the earlier post from guys putting pictures of their first gen stadium trucks that look like a modern short course. They kind of prove the point. People will push the rules to see how much they can get away with. I may be totally off-base here since I'm not familiar with the rule set for SCT racing though and if I am please disregard my post. I just feel that once the "racer" companies get involved things will get out of hand. They aren't going to build a vehicle and want it to lose. The adage "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" from Superbike racing exists for a reason. People want what they perceive to be the highest performance vehicle. Regardless of their own personal skill sets.

On a side note, I have really enjoyed this thread. It has been extremely educational and I am seriously thinking about getting a SC10. It does sound fun.
I would recommend the SC10. I may be bias but Short Course is so much more fun to me than any other class. The rules are actually simple.

- Body has to cover the wheels
- 2.2/3.0 Tires and wheels
- 335mm max wheel base
- 298mm max width

My point of view is about racing. The Spec Slash class was nice for a while to me but it was clear that spec racing lasts only so long. The top drivers were still spending a ton off money prepping motors and and swapping bearings. If you keep the rules simple then you allow people to buy what they want. I completely agree that Traxxas sparked Short Course again and now Associate, Losi, Kyosho, HPI, Venum, and TQ all have 2WD trucks that have more potential than the Traxxas Slash. With Associated, Durango, Ansmann, Madcat and Losi joining Traxxas, Jammin, and Hyper in the 4x4 game this is becoming a serious racing class already. I feel that the new racers should race a Novice class until they feel comfortable racing the better drivers. Novice is affordable.