Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Hey guys,
Recently, I rebuilt my diffs replacing the diff pins with chris pins, cleaned out the factory grease, and re-filled the diffs with the silicon oil (3-3-2). When I took my scte out to drive for the first time after the diff rebuild, I experienced some really weird things. What I noticed first was that the car pulled a little to the right (or left? can't remember exactly) under accelaration and spun out to the right under breaking. Upon closer inspection, the only thing I could find wrong was that the right outdrive of the rear diff was wobbly. Could this be my problem? I took the diff out and confirmed that I had rebuilt it correctly and that all parts/shims/washers/seals were in place. Is the metal holder that the outdrive fits into worn out? Is there something else in addition to this that might be causing my problem?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does anybody have a good Tekin RX8 setup for the Castle 1410 motor?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NITROALM
Hey Bondo Looks really nice the ultra clean approach.. cant Wait to see
the final package Thanks for posting the build
Hey Phil,
I have a complete build thread here if you or anyone is interested ?
http://hdrcvideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22211
Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
A lot of people like to use the stock grease. But if you want to go with oils, 5-5-3 is a good place to start on indoor clay. Also, I'd get the Chriskit http://mysite.verizon.net/res8x8be/a...ring/id47.html
That'll allow you to have much stronger diffs and once the Robinson Racing Diff gears come out, I'd recommend putting those in along with the Chriskit and you'll have bulletproof diffs! Take a look at the first post on the first page, there's a ton of great info on there.

Yeah, all of the Castle stuff is going up due to the Neodymium shortage. Expect to start paying a lot more for all motors, not just Castle The 1410 motor combo used to be like $99.99 most places, now it's 129.99. It's a real bummer 1/8th scale with their giant magnets are really gonna be the ones hugely affected, though, I will say that's a huge jump in price already!
Supply and demand my friend! When word got out bout the 1410 you could not find them anywhere cept flee bay! Off backOrder they come with a new price? Hmmmm......WAS 109. at my lhs now 144. $$$$$ they had a shortage of profit not Neodymium LOL
Old 07-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
There really wasn't an issue w/ any of the diff gears... the diff pins wear and caused issues some failures, but it was a pin issue.
I know a few folks had issues with the gears Even after running Chris pins from day one!! I don't believe the mold broke,The penny pincher`s at HH went for cheap overseas material and they are failing!! The new mold story makes us feel all warm inside thinking a new one will fix the probs.The only thing they will change is the metallurgy they were using (My opinion only)The new pins I got from HH were crap no better than the 1st set!! And my gears shot in the rear after that!! Diff..Pins.. gears... Blah Blah Blah...If the gears are not a problem then why does every one want Robinson to step up?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Finally got my replacement diff gears after how long.....only got 1 set....hmmmm 3 diffs.....I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'm currently running 5-5-3 what can expect if I change to 5-3-3. I guess my questions is if I change my center diff to 3000wt what will this do r/t power and handling
Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kerby
I'm currently running 5-5-3 what can expect if I change to 5-3-3. I guess my questions is if I change my center diff to 3000wt what will this do r/t power and handling
1. Front wheels will unload more during acceleration.

2. Decreases on-power steering (reduces oversteer)

3. Easier to drive on rough tracks

4. More off power steering
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by per4m28
anyone know what are the dimensions on the washers thats located behind the diff sun gears and outdrives??? or where I can get a set of em just the washers? knowing they come with certain diff kits but actually need just the washers! thx
I measured one of the shims behind the sun gears and it was .007 or .184mm. I bought a Tamiya 53585 3mm (ID) clutch shim set to replace some with.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
WIN!!!!

The next big thing in RC...Motor Wraps
lmao, i would definitely get one!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork
I used hitec 965mg's with the MMP, same issues. Actually I bought 5 gave one to Rage and one to another driver. All but one smoked (was in a crawler).

Moral of my story? I don't have one, but I would suggest an ESC that is not limited by the servo.
Good point.. but in reality if you have a issue running the MMp a bypass or a BEC is really simple and fixes the problem. Price is great and the pit cards are amazing, I keep with castle over tekin for most of my offroad equipment just for this reason. That and the fact that Rx8's blow up more often than MMM's or MMp's combined, at least for the last year or so. I know tekin has recently tweaked the case and made some edits but I've seen 4 blow this year alone at races.. more than ANY other esc on the market. Heck I've seen more rx8's bite it in the last year than Novaks and that is a hard task to complete (granted mostly on 1/8 scale stuff).

Originally Posted by BmainStar
I know a few folks had issues with the gears Even after running Chris pins from day one!! I don't believe the mold broke,The penny pincher`s at HH went for cheap overseas material and they are failing!! The new mold story makes us feel all warm inside thinking a new one will fix the probs.The only thing they will change is the metallurgy they were using (My opinion only)The new pins I got from HH were crap no better than the 1st set!! And my gears shot in the rear after that!! Diff..Pins.. gears... Blah Blah Blah...If the gears are not a problem then why does every one want Robinson to step up?
Very very few folks have had issues with the actual gears that were not caused by the root issue, bad pins. 99% of forums is complaining and even on here we have not heard more than a handful of people who had issues with gears, and like I said I'd bet money they were from bad pins or that mini washer getting chewed up in the gears because of a re-assembly issue. I know guys who didnt even realize there was a small washer btw the gear and the spacer.

People will buy full Robinson gear sets and more chris pins just to have piece of mind... that way there is no fear of a breakdown in the a-main ;P Needed or not, and this includes me.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Guys, what's up with the center diff bearings? Every time I race at an outdoor dirt track, I develop a problem with those bad boys, but this time, one of them is shot (gritty).

I saw the avidrc plug on the first page. Do you guys recommend I replace it with that instead of the Losi ones?

I may just get into the habit of blowing that area out with the air compressor after each heat instead of at the end of the day.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GVizzle
Does anybody have a good Tekin RX8 setup for the Castle 1410 motor?
easy as mate

current limiter to about 80% but you can play with that on diffenent tracks
pinon 14 to 16 depending on track size
no drag brake
5 to 10% push control as the 4 pole magnets stop it to quick so push help that out
no timing required as its not sensored motor anyway . timing just adds heat not needed
brake strength i like highish at 80% but adjust to suit i know some running as low as 40% , personal on that one

apart from that have fun you have a bullet proof combo enjoy

any other setting are just personal , the above setting i got from Randy Pike at Tekin and work a treat
Old 07-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Asharus
Guys, what's up with the center diff bearings? Every time I race at an outdoor dirt track, I develop a problem with those bad boys, but this time, one of them is shot (gritty).

I saw the avidrc plug on the first page. Do you guys recommend I replace it with that instead of the Losi ones?

I may just get into the habit of blowing that area out with the air compressor after each heat instead of at the end of the day.
I've been running avid bearings for years.. the revolutions are great and at only $1 each almost disposable.. swap out a few times per year or as needed.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

$22 in stock. Avid's are awesome.

http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=327&kitname=TEN-SCTE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.