Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jstall7543 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 1410 is a good cheap motor. Go run against Maifield or Truhe with your 1410 lol! You'll be lap traffic for them! Enough said.

So what is a good motor to run? Price is not as important as what will be competitive and will last. I have a Viper 10R ESC. Just looking for a motor to pair with it. Any suggestions from anyone?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shawn00sa View Post
So what is a good motor to run? Price is not as important as what will be competitive and will last. I have a Viper 10R ESC. Just looking for a motor to pair with it. Any suggestions from anyone?
From the first page:

550 Motors
Tekin Redline SC4X 4.5-5.5
Novak Ballistic 550 4.5-6.5T
Novak HV 4.5-5.5T
Fantom Fusion 1 & 2 550’s
Speed Passion V10 3.5R-5.5R
Speed Passion V2 5.5R
Team EPIC Monster Horsepower 550
Team Epic 4x4 Short Course Monster Horsepower 4.5t
LRP X12L Short Course Sensored Brushless 550 Motor
Orion Vortex 10 2800kv (best on 3S)
Castle Creations 1415 2400kv

Personally I went with a Tekin until the sensor board on it broke. Now I'm running a Novak.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cult Racing View Post
Sweet thats the only thing that im worried about on my truck and dont wanna waste money on outdrives that are gonna wear again.
I have the HD drives and after a few races I have barely taken the coating off them and see no actual wear at all.

Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
My choice for sure

Besides some very very low speed cogging(ie rock crawling speed), I don't see any difference between the tenshock and sensored systems. Well, besides having a lot more power on tap. Just as smooth and just as consistent as any of the sensored settups I've tried, and I've tried just about all of them I have since sold off all my sensored 550's, and went strictly Tenshock
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
can't remember if i posted up or not, but i got to run my newly converted ten-t to SCTE on saturday night. i ran the tenshock 4600/hobbywing SC8 at 12/40. thing ran great. at the end of the 7 minute main, it was 161 degrees (ambient was probably low 80's). tenshock was awesome. i love the SC8 as well. all it does is run...
How are your runtimes against the 550's? I apologize if you've answered this 100 times... feeble mind ya know.

Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
Combo 1 is very enticing, however since the SCTE is a "special" truck, and by special I mean that she's a heavy pig of a whale, running the Havoc SC Pro would make me very nervous about blowing it up.

Good luck.
I run the Pro ESC and 14mm rotor and racing I haven't seen much heat at all in the ESC. I can heat the motor if I run a full 6000 mah pack during practice, but nothing I would consider critical at this time. 180-185. I have never thermalled my rig.

The one problem I have had is that I rarely get the ESC to fire up on the first hit on the switch. I always get steering but usually have to switch it multiple times to get the lights on and wheels to spin. It's been like this from day one. Novak sent me a switch to swap in and it didn't solve the problem. I figured i'd run it til it craps out, but once it's on I have no issues so far.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Motor / ESC opinions....

I am debating on building up a SCTE and debating on 1 of two motor / esc combos and would love your opinions, with some actual facts to back them up.

Combo #1: $240

Novak Havoc Pro SC "Mike Truhe Edtion" Brushless ESC/Ballistic 550 Motor Combo (4.5T)

Comments: 14mm Rotor w/ 3850kv

Combo #2: $325

Tekin 4.5 and Tekin RX8

Comments: 4800kv

There is obviously a pretty large price difference between them. I run the Novak 4.5 setup in my Slash 4x4 and have had zero issues with it at all.

Thoughts? is the RX8 / Tekin 4.5 worth the near $100 difference?
Comments on #1 - both posted in the last week...

Originally Posted by nta01 View Post
Anyone running the Novak Havak Pro 4.5 Truhe edition?

I can't get more than 3 minutes on it. The ESC two end lights blink. I temped it last night and both motor and ESC were 130ish. I think the lights mean lock rotor.

Has anyone experienced this? I have been told that Novak might have an issue with that motor.

Thanks,
Tom
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Yes! Exact same thing just happened to me. Brand new Novak Havok 4.5 Truhe package arrived Thursday, in the car today, "locked rotor" error lights blinking shortly thereafter.

You're getting 3 minutes? 2 would have made my night at this point. I just spent $25 buying a couple extra mod1 pinions thinking that even though it the motor was lukewarm at best and the ESC was room temp, gearing down might help. Sounds like I've been chasing Novak's legendary quality control more than gearing.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I'm running an RX8 and a 4.5 Ballistic with the 14mm HT rotor. I've been very happy with this combo. The motor makes a ton of power yet still runs cool (~150F). The RX8 is very flexible and also runs cool(~120F). At our last race nobody had anything on my truck on the short 100' straight and I was pulling 10-15' on some guys. This was with the current limiter set at 50%.

The main advantage I've noticed is that the Ballistic is much smoother that the 1410. IMHO the 1410 is more snappy and doesn't seem to tune down very well, kind of like a 2 stroke. The Ballistic with the HT rotor is like a 4 stroke, it's got a ton of torque and a very flat torque curve
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys some motors work for some, and other motors work for others. Just be happy with what you like to use.

The Tekin Pro 4 motor once again took Tq and top finish honors at the 2011 Jconcepts Indoor Nationals...

It will be running this week at the Hot Rod Shootout....
Old 07-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Guys some motors work for some, and other motors work for others. Just be happy with what you like to use.

The Tekin Pro 4 motor once again took Tq and top finish honors at the 2011 Jconcepts Indoor Nationals...

Randy, congrats to you and all the guys at Tekin, you've obviously got a great little motor. Now stop hoarding them and get them to us! Any word on when we should expect them to hit the pipeline and filter down to us? When can we expect an official announcement of them being released? BTW, the track layout for the shootout looks like it's gonna be really fun! There's gonna be a ton of talent there too!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
HOLY CRAP!!! I had to read that twice just to make sure I read it correctly the first time. Then I read it again for the laugh. Are you freaking serious?! I'm not rich, but I've got thousands and thousands of dollars poured into RC, I drive a Toyota FJ Cruiser and a Porsche 911, I really don't consider myself poor by any standards of the word. Guess what, I use the 1410 UNSENSORED motor and love it. I could afford to run any damn thing I please, but I CHOOSE to run the 1410 over EVERY expensive SENSORED system currently available. I run my Tekin Sensored system in my 1/8th scale because with huge magnets in 1/8th scale systems, it does seem to make a noticeable difference, but with the 540/550 can motors, the difference is negligible.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people who got that one right away. Stripes was one of my favorite movies as a kid!

I run agains guys like Dunford, Casper, Aaron Lane, Cody Turner, Colby Poh, Chris Jarosz and Ryan Cavalieri, Frank Root, Mike Truhe, Mike Gonzalez amongst other professional drivers routinely at OCRC. It's my home track and is several of their home track as well. Others who it's not their home track, are often here testing because the manufacturers are located nearby. Trust me, the name on the outside of the motor has very little to do with how well they get around the track. They could wheel 17 turn brushed motors around the track faster than almost any of us could run a fully sensored 1/8th scale car. I am routinely one of the faster (not the fastest by any means) sportsmen at our track but when I race against those guys, I don't just get lapped, I get slapped by 2 or 3 laps, they're THAT fast!!!

Manufacturers LOVE people like you who will buy anything that their favorite pro is feeding you. BTW, if you buy some Nike Kobe Bryant shoes, you'll be able to dunk like him, ball like him and make his salary too!

I really am having a hard time getting my head around what you've said. I've often felt you were, though at times a bit gruff, pretty right on about a lot of what you post, but now, your credibility has gone out the window attached to a brick thrown out a 30 story building, good luck on getting that one back.
Originally Posted by SCTRacerX View Post
I believe the term for that post would be POWNAGE. Off to work thanks Scott for making me wake up to a funny post..Good stuff.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
I'm running an RX8 and a 4.5 Ballistic with the 14mm HT rotor. I've been very happy with this combo. The motor makes a ton of power yet still runs cool (~150F). The RX8 is very flexible and also runs cool(~120F). At our last race nobody had anything on my truck on the short 100' straight and I was pulling 10-15' on some guys. This was with the current limiter set at 50%.

The main advantage I've noticed is that the Ballistic is much smoother that the 1410. IMHO the 1410 is more snappy and doesn't seem to tune down very well, kind of like a 2 stroke. The Ballistic with the HT rotor is like a 4 stroke, it's got a ton of torque and a very flat torque curve
Chis what tooth pinion are you running. I had the same set up and was running while above 150F. I changed to the 5.5 for better temp but love the 4.5 speed. My current limiter was at 80%. The next time I use the 4.5 I will tur the current limiter down to 50%.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

what size are the two screws that go into the motor mount from underneath the chassis? are they 5-40 X 5/8? i checked the mostly useless exploded views and naturally it isn't shown.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

I started at 16T and worked up to 18T. I'm running it in dual mode with about 50% timing (15 degrees). I don't think turning the current limiter down from 80% to 50% makes that big of a temperature difference. I was running it at 80% before and the temps were in the same range.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

I think the stock ones are 8-32x3/8". They only had about 3 threads left by the time they pass through the chassis and spacer, so I went to 8-32x1/2".

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
what size are the two screws that go into the motor mount from underneath the chassis? are they 5-40 X 5/8? i checked the mostly useless exploded views and naturally it isn't shown.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

I'm looking forward to trying one out when they are available. It looks to be the perfect combination, 4 pole and sensored.

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post

Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
I think the stock ones are 8-32x3/8". They only had about 3 threads left by the time they pass through the chassis and spacer, so I went to 8-32x1/2".
thanks chris. just started checking my truck after saturday's races and low and behold, both screws were gone! i checked my box and it doesn't look like i have any that will work. looks like another trip to fastenal is in order. also time to break out the thread lock.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
Randy, congrats to you and all the guys at Tekin, you've obviously got a great little motor. Now stop hoarding them and get them to us! Any word on when we should expect them to hit the pipeline and filter down to us? When can we expect an official announcement of them being released? BTW, the track layout for the shootout looks like it's gonna be really fun! There's gonna be a ton of talent there too!
Good luck getting an answer to that from Tekin. I've been asking them
every where on here with no answer. I even started a thread asking about
when we would see the new 4 pole motors and they had it deleted..

I guess it will stay a deep dark secret for a while...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.