Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Thanks for the mini review. I'm expecting my BCE chassis any day. If those are your biggest complaints I'm sure I will be happy with it.

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
Got my BCE chassi today. Not exactly thrilled with it considering it was $100 it had a few issues.

First all of the holes were not countersunk. I had to put it on my drill press and countersink 5 holes that were missed.

The screws for the battery tray don't line up well. I could get 2 of the 3 in but no matter what I did I couldnt get the 3rd in. Could only see the edge of the hole in the bottom of the battery tray thru the hole in the chassis. Had to open the hole on the chassis a little to het it together.

The aluminum hinge pin holders on both the front and rear would not fit ofer the chassis. The chassis was just a little to wide. Had to file the edge of the chassis down to get all of them on.

There is no anodizing at all on the chassis. It actally still had the 7075 paint markings that come on the raw sheet stock.

The good news is it's 62 g lighter than the stock part it replaced and the 7075 should prevent bending like I've done to 2 stock chassis now.

None of this is a game breaker and I was able to fix all of the issues myself but I have to say I am a bit disappointed having this come from a company with the reputation of BCE. I'm sure this is just first run issues that they will get worked out.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
Got my BCE chassi today. Not exactly thrilled with it considering it was $100 it had a few issues.

First all of the holes were not countersunk. I had to put it on my drill press and countersink 5 holes that were missed.

The screws for the battery tray don't line up well. I could get 2 of the 3 in but no matter what I did I couldnt get the 3rd in. Could only see the edge of the hole in the bottom of the battery tray thru the hole in the chassis. Had to open the hole on the chassis a little to het it together.

The aluminum hinge pin holders on both the front and rear would not fit ofer the chassis. The chassis was just a little to wide. Had to file the edge of the chassis down to get all of them on.

There is no anodizing at all on the chassis. It actally still had the 7075 paint markings that come on the raw sheet stock.

The good news is it's 62 g lighter than the stock part it replaced and the 7075 should prevent bending like I've done to 2 stock chassis now.

None of this is a game breaker and I was able to fix all of the issues myself but I have to say I am a bit disappointed having this come from a company with the reputation of BCE. I'm sure this is just first run issues that they will get worked out.

....and that is why I'll just wait for the Losi Chassis. I don't have access to all the cool tools to make those adjustments and that would have greatly pissed me off. When I buy something that is an upgrade, I expect it to have everything fit without a problem.

In all fairness to these guys, this is their first production run. There's bound to be issues. Sort of reminds me of the pins issue.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mkl View Post
Not quite a technical question, but it seems the Losi guys read this thread. I have anxiously been waiting for my SCTE to come off backorder for over four weeks and now I was told (and confirmed by Horizon) that they won't be at my LHS until late August! I know on line retailers have them but I like to buy local (local small business myself). I don't mind waiting if there is a good reason, but nobody can tell me why I can't get one from my LHS for over 3 months! Anybody have any insights?
Thanks and been enjoying reading thread (almost all of it, whew).
I think you've already answered your own question....buy online. I know support your local hobby store is good but if they can't support your needs, than why wait to play. Get it from A Main Hobbies, if it's in stock and save yourself $25 if you sign up for their free membership. That's what I did many months ago, unfortunately no free shipping.

Last edited by FangsCPO; 07-01-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyclev View Post
My hobby shop just called and said they have diff gear sets in.

Would these be new and improved...new molds of gears, new pins...stronger blocks, stronger shims?
These are from the last mold, not the new one. The new mold gears are not ready yet.

Originally Posted by mkl View Post
Not quite a technical question, but it seems the Losi guys read this thread. I have anxiously been waiting for my SCTE to come off backorder for over four weeks and now I was told (and confirmed by Horizon) that they won't be at my LHS until late August! I know on line retailers have them but I like to buy local (local small business myself). I don't mind waiting if there is a good reason, but nobody can tell me why I can't get one from my LHS for over 3 months! Anybody have any insights?
Thanks and been enjoying reading thread (almost all of it, whew).
Orders are shipped on a first ordered, first shipped basis. So it all depends on when your local shop put the order in really.

Originally Posted by BmainStar View Post
Wow whats $25 dollars in this hobby? A good lunch thats what LOL I will want the same chassis that the team guys run so I can copy there set up sheets! And twenty five bucks aint nada!!

Itll only be 100 most places.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
I think you've already answered your own question....buy online. I know support your local hobby store is good but if they can't support your needs, than why wait to play. Get it from TowerHobbies, if it's in stock and save yourself $50 if you sign up for their membership and pay the $10 fee. It's still a savings off $40 and shipping is free. That's what I did many months ago.
Tower doesn't carry Losi.....as Horizon is their direct competitor/distributor of Losi products
Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I would HIGHLY advise you take that Expo Out and use the "speed" function of your radio. Using extremes on the expo can cause more harm then good
Can you explain that? I love the speed of the servo just not right off of center/neutral. I have made these adjustments for years depending on the track conditions. Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
Tower doesn't carry Losi.....as Horizon is their direct competitor/distributor of Losi products
Oops!!! You are correct. I meant A Main Hobbies and save $25 with the code JJDCPP1112. I've been buying so much stuff lately and bouncing from online store to online store.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good news, I tested the BCE chassis and it went great, the cornering felt better in general, the one thing I did notice is the rear end kicks out a little sooner during off throttle high speed corner entry if you let off to much. But it's still very predictable like before and very useable. On power steering and acceleration were improved! After a few more batteries it will feel normal again. I'm very happy with it! I crashed it really hard a few times off a tripple into the face of the 4th jump to test the durability! No problems! Lol! Temps went down a little too!

Thank You BCE for all your hard work!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jstall7543 View Post
Good news, I tested the BCE chassis and it went great, the cornering felt better in general, the one thing I did notice is the rear end kicks out a little sooner during off throttle high speed corner entry if you let off to much. But it's still very predictable like before and very useable. On power steering and acceleration were improved! After a few more batteries it will feel normal again. I'm very happy with it! I crashed it really hard a few times off a tripple into the face of the 4th jump to test the durability! No problems! Lol! Temps went down a little too!

Were you able to cut some time off your lap times?
Old 07-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jstall7543 View Post

Are you saying temps went down just with new chassis alone?
Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nta01 View Post
Anyone running the Novak Havak Pro 4.5 Truhe edition?

I can't get more than 3 minutes on it. The ESC two end lights blink. I temped it last night and both motor and ESC were 130ish. I think the lights mean lock rotor.

Has anyone experienced this? I have been told that Novak might have an issue with that motor.

Thanks,
Tom
I'm running the truhe edition motor (14mm rotor) with mmp, no issues so far except slight studdering when doing full throttle from a dead stop. So far i like it.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

This is probably more of a motor question than a scte question but since I'll probably get better answers from this crowd I'm going to ask here anyway. I'm curious to know why people are running 4 pole motors such as the castle 1410 or the new tenshock as opposed to the 550 can motors? I've seen it mentioned that 4 pole offer more torque than than a 2 pole design but does that stand true comparing 4 pole 540 to 2 pole 550 can's. What can be gained other than losing some weight with a 4 pole 540 can? I will be running primarily on a 1/8th scale offroad track with medium to high traction and I'm wondering which motor is best for my application. My SCTE isn't together yet as I've got parts arriving daily for it so I can do it right all at once, I've got a 550 Novak 4.5 that I was planning on putting in it but I did see a review on the tenshock and at the price I'm definitely tempted. I'm using high quality batteries and the truck will be lighter than stock with titanium turnbuckles, cf towers etc but I don't plan on getting to crazy with making it lighter. Any insight is appreciated, thanks...
Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC View Post
This is probably more of a motor question than a scte question but since I'll probably get better answers from this crowd I'm going to ask here anyway. I'm curious to know why people are running 4 pole motors such as the castle 1410 or the new tenshock as opposed to the 550 can motors? I've seen it mentioned that 4 pole offer more torque than than a 2 pole design but does that stand true comparing 4 pole 540 to 2 pole 550 can's. What can be gained other than losing some weight with a 4 pole 540 can? I will be running primarily on a 1/8th scale offroad track with medium to high traction and I'm wondering which motor is best for my application. My SCTE isn't together yet as I've got parts arriving daily for it so I can do it right all at once, I've got a 550 Novak 4.5 that I was planning on putting in it but I did see a review on the tenshock and at the price I'm definitely tempted. I'm using high quality batteries and the truck will be lighter than stock with titanium turnbuckles, cf towers etc but I don't plan on getting to crazy with making it lighter. Any insight is appreciated, thanks...
the ten shock is alright but i have the 4600 and heat is an issue big time. if any thing get the 4000 you'll be better off and have more gearing options. IMO id wait and get the new tekin 4 pro motor coming out soon. guess it depends if you want sensored or non.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC View Post
I am not sure about the 550 can motor's as I have no experience with them but I do run the 1410 4 pole in my SCTE.

The 1410 is such a good motor because you can get the motor so cheap. You can buy the Sidewinder SCT setup for around 90, Sell the ESC for 30-40 bucks and you have very little money in the motor.

Also the 1410 is a very forgiving motor. It seems to take the weight and the heat a really good.

You can run a wider variety of gears with the 1410 also. You can run from 11-20T if you so desire.

From what other user's are saying on this discussion is that the 1410 actually can achieve just as much top end if not a little more than the 550 motors.

For the price you pay for the Sidewinder SCT combo you cannot beat it.

I have a 2wd SC10 that I run a castle 4600kv CM36 with the Sidewinder ESC.
I run the Mamba Max Pro with the 1410 in the SCTE

From what I can tell even with the SC10 being a crap load lighter, my SCTE is just as fast as it if not a tad bit faster.
If you gear right you can run the 1410 on 3s for Insane power and speed's around 60mph.

I am running 15/40 on the 1410 in My SCTE and temps are never an issue even running around in the yard in grass.

I can go to a 17T pinion which would probably get the truck in the mid 40's on a 2s and I bet temps would still be fine.

All in all it is a very versatile motor, Takes a crap load of abuse and is smaller and lighter than a 550 can.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Question for hacker07,
How can I get the newer rear bumper? I called bill from customer service and he didnt answer.. I hate having such a nice truck and using zip ties for the rear bumper! Im on my 3rd set right now!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.