Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:48 AM
  #11581  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
mjealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,193
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lowroad View Post
Well, I have done it, and it does NOT work. Not with a 550 can 4.5 geared between 14t and 16t on the pinion anyway. It runs for a few laps, thermals, shuts down. Makes for a crappy race day. Randy says if you run a couple caps and a fan on it it will work. I can testify that without those things it does NOT.

That is sort why I asking. I can 100% back you up, as it is my fault and I should have done more research before I bought this combo. Installed everything a couple days ago, ran last night in the backyard and mine will run for 4 minutes and shuts down. I was running a 14t pinion. I do not think there is anyway to get these cool enough to run. Also, this combo absolutley drains the battery and very very quickly. I think it would be fine in a car weighing about 4lbs. and 2wd, but in the SCTE there is no way!!! This is my first electric vehicle and I am learning the hard way!!!

So, I have settled on the Castle 1410 (3800) for reliability and ease of running it. That seems to be what most everybody is running at the local track without problems. What is the difference and would you guys run the Mamba Max Pro ot the Mambe Max Pro SCT version with the 1410 motor? I just want to keeps down and have a really reliable combo to run all day at the track.
mjealey is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:52 AM
  #11582  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (42)
 
BashemSmashem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,647
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
That is sort why I asking. I can 100% back you up, as it is my fault and I should have done more research before I bought this combo. Installed everything a couple days ago, ran last night in the backyard and mine will run for 4 minutes and shuts down. I was running a 14t pinion. I do not think there is anyway to get these cool enough to run. Also, this combo absolutley drains the battery and very very quickly. I think it would be fine in a car weighing about 4lbs. and 2wd, but in the SCTE there is no way!!! This is my first electric vehicle and I am learning the hard way!!!

So, I have settled on the Castle 1410 (3800) for reliability and ease of running it. That seems to be what most everybody is running at the local track without problems. What is the difference and would you guys run the Mamba Max Pro ot the Mambe Max Pro SCT version with the 1410 motor? I just want to keeps down and have a really reliable combo to run all day at the track.
Mamba Max Pro and Mamba Max Pro SCT are the same ESC just a different sticker . Personally I wouldnt run the MMP , I would save for an RX8 and be done with it .
BashemSmashem is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 AM
  #11583  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (46)
 
Chris K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 2,575
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
For the late night forum browsers... Some SCTe in this video.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Nice video; now if you can just shoot one on a sunny day it will be so much more visually appealing....

OH, that's right; you said Seattle area.... OK.... Well, hopefully you'll get a sunny day.... soon.... this month.... this year....

Just teasin' a bit guys, the video is excellent in my opinion and hopefully you'll have a sunny day soon and can shoot some more; they're just so much better!
Chris K is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 06:23 AM
  #11584  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (16)
 
Cackswayn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin Tx.
Posts: 445
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Buzz3 View Post
All I have is stock with bad foams, worn gridirons on red foams, and the new med 2.0 calibers. I think my next set will be soft or super soft enduro's. Unless someone makes sense to run something else.
Find out what the 1/8 guys run. I have heard that SS Enduros work great down there. To me it sounds like a tire problem.
Cackswayn is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 AM
  #11585  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (42)
 
Asharus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,123
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SCTRacerX View Post
Can I ask this without getting yelled at? I always look at the for sale threads to see if there is anything I want. I don't know if it's that Team A sold 5x as many 4x4 SCT's as Losi, but I see about a 5 to 1 ratio of SC10 4x4's for sale to Losi SCTE"s. I would think since Losi has been around for a lot longer it would be the other way around. Anyone here have any input on this? Is it harder to tune? Or just a bunch of fanboys who just bought it to say they had one and now selling? Just surprised to see so many that's all.
Probably those who bought it and found out that it's hard to work on and is switching/switched to an SCTE.
Asharus is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 07:29 AM
  #11586  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
10sctrel0v3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Titusville, Fl.
Posts: 388
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
For the late night forum browsers... Some SCTe in this video.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
ahhh whats the name of that song again?
10sctrel0v3r is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 AM
  #11587  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (20)
 
stfitzgerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 785
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bustanut666 View Post
Herbie Baja Full Body







Awesome!!!
stfitzgerald is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 AM
  #11588  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho,
Posts: 729
Default

Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Nice video; now if you can just shoot one on a sunny day it will be so much more visually appealing....

OH, that's right; you said Seattle area.... OK.... Well, hopefully you'll get a sunny day.... soon.... this month.... this year....

Just teasin' a bit guys, the video is excellent in my opinion and hopefully you'll have a sunny day soon and can shoot some more; they're just so much better!
Tell me about it, we are just happy that it was dry outside so we could put in some laps. By the way the scte has losi 8 shocks with red springs. Really soaks up the rough stuff and big jumps. Please subscribe to our vids, there will be many more to come.
SC_RAGE is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
  #11589  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Ridley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,460
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SCTRacerX View Post
Can I ask this without getting yelled at? I always look at the for sale threads to see if there is anything I want. I don't know if it's that Team A sold 5x as many 4x4 SCT's as Losi, but I see about a 5 to 1 ratio of SC10 4x4's for sale to Losi SCTE"s. I would think since Losi has been around for a lot longer it would be the other way around. Anyone here have any input on this? Is it harder to tune? Or just a bunch of fanboys who just bought it to say they had one and now selling? Just surprised to see so many that's all.
I can't speak for everyone, but the guys that had them around here mostly ditched them because they are just plain harder to get around the track than the Losi. They seem like a decent indoor truck but outdoors they have a lot to be desired, most of which is stability. Couple that with being harder to settup and keep settup due to high maintenance stuff like the slippers, being ridiculously hard to clean the dirt out of, harder to work on, and I think a lot of peeps don't think they are worth the headache. I'm sure those who put enough time into the truck will finally get it dialed, but it's certainly not a weekend warriors type of truck...it will take someone that knows settup very well and has lots of time to tinker.
Ridley is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
  #11590  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho,
Posts: 729
Default

Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but the guys that had them around here mostly ditched them because they are just plain harder to get around the track than the Losi. They seem like a decent indoor truck but outdoors they have a lot to be desired, most of which is stability. Couple that with being harder to settup and keep settup due to high maintenance stuff like the slippers, being ridiculously hard to clean the dirt out of, harder to work on, and I think a lot of peeps don't think they are worth the headache. I'm sure those who put enough time into the truck will finally get it dialed, but it's certainly not a weekend warriors type of truck...it will take someone that knows settup very well and has lots of time to tinker.
Exactly my feelings about the AE. Maybe with some swaybars it might be better, but the losi ons it outside. So much more forgiving.
SC_RAGE is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM
  #11591  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho,
Posts: 729
Default

I will be attending the j concepts race on july 1st through the 3rd at outback raceway. If you are close by come check it out. I wouldnt mind meeting some of the fellow losi guys. I will be on viper power, im so used to the crazy castle this should be good.
SC_RAGE is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
  #11592  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,553
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

...and I will be at the Hot Rod Hobbies shootout the following weekend, July 7-10 and would love to meet any of you that will be around my way. Its a great race, although usually a bit warm but it seems to be staying cooler this year (fingers crossed).
hacker07 is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
  #11593  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho,
Posts: 729
Default

Not sure if im doing that race yet, I might aswell stay there till then if so lol.
SC_RAGE is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 09:41 AM
  #11594  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (76)
 
johnnyshore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 2,043
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
Couple that with being harder to settup and keep settup due to high maintenance stuff like the slippers, being ridiculously hard to clean the dirt out of, harder to work on...
I made the mistake of selling my first Losi to try out the AE truck, but after 2 weeks of owning it (and cursing it every time I had to tear it apart for maintenance/cleaning/setup), I sold the AE, and went back to the Losi.

The AE is definitely better with sway bars IMO, and I was getting around the track pretty good running very thick front diff oil and overdrive pulley, but like Ridley said, dirt would get into places that I could only get to by taking out the motor, which, when running an HV Novak motor, meant basically tearing the whole rear end off the truck.

The "simple" layout of the SCTE is an absolute DREAM to work on compared to the SC10 4x4. I personally think AE missed the boat by not having a similar 3-diff chassis layout like the Losi, but that's just my $.02.

Live and learn I guess.
johnnyshore is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
  #11595  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho,
Posts: 729
Default

Originally Posted by johnnyshore View Post
I made the mistake of selling my first Losi to try out the AE truck, but after 2 weeks of owning it (and cursing it every time I had to tear it apart for maintenance/cleaning/setup), I sold the AE, and went back to the Losi.

The AE is definitely better with sway bars IMO, and I was getting around the track pretty good running very thick front diff oil and overdrive pulley, but like Ridley said, dirt would get into places that I could only get to by taking out the motor, which, when running an HV Novak motor, meant basically tearing the whole rear end off the truck.

The "simple" layout of the SCTE is an absolute DREAM to work on compared to the SC10 4x4. I personally think AE missed the boat by not having a similar 3-diff chassis layout like the Losi, but that's just my $.02.

Live and learn I guess.
I think you made the right choice. Ease of use is a definate plus. The AE is a cool truck but working on it is a nightmare. If you break something or have any drivetrain issue, good luck ushing to fix it before your next race. All around the losi seems to be a great truck.
SC_RAGE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.