Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post
And what are good pins, it doesn't seem like the answer is LOSI's?
(which means the consumer is FORCED to spend money somewhere else)
We all know already that the gears are being remade and has already been said by hacker/Ryan that the gears are causing the pins to wear hence the reason for a new mold.
I mean come on who is anybody kidding, I respect that you have to stand behind LOSI but please do not BS me, the diff has problems and it is a combination of ALL the parts.
I really have tried to stay out of this whole diff thing but I'm a little tired of all the politically correct steering that's going on around here

I digress.
I appreciate all the communication and help from Hacker and Casper and they are great representatives of their company..

but +1 kingdom

If losi could just get a HD diff kit available (like the 8ight's), it would take care of most people w/o a second thought. I know hacker has stated something is on the way. With any luck my diffs will hold out until then, but the problem is others have not been so lucky w/ the pins and/or the gears.

my only 2c on this subject. done.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post
And what are good pins, it doesn't seem like the answer is LOSI's?
(which means the consumer is FORCED to spend money somewhere else)
We all know already that the gears are being remade and has already been said by hacker/Ryan that the gears are causing the pins to wear hence the reason for a new mold.
I mean come on who is anybody kidding, I respect that you have to stand behind LOSI but please do not BS me, the diff has problems and it is a combination of ALL the parts.
I really have tried to stay out of this whole diff thing but I'm a little tired of all the politically correct steering that's going on around here

I digress.
Although I love my SCTE and still think its design and layout is way better than the SC10 4x4 that I sold within a few days of owning, I have to agree with Kingdom as well. There is obviously something wrong with the material used in the diffs. I'm a bit disappointed that the new hardnened pins are wearing just as fast as the first batch. Now we have quite a bit of others complaining about the material used on the actual gears. I understand about wear and tear but if OFNA (I mean OFNA of all places lol) gears and pins are holding up in our heavy trucks, then Losi needs to look at beefing up the diffs internals.

Everything else on the truck is great. I see the diffs as a major issue and hope that Losi fixes these issues.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by J. Schwarz View Post
Heavier Sway bars....
I'll give it a shot when I can get the parts, thanks!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Help me understand?

hi guy.. messing ard with the truck just.. found that when i unscrew the droop screw(full droop?) and lift the front end i have difficulty turning/steering the front wheels. seems like some kind of binding or something i m not sure.. but when i turn back the droop screw to abt 2-3mm i can get free steering again.
anyone encounter this? is this normal? meaning i cant run with full droop?

thanx
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1 View Post
Although I love my SCTE and still think its design and layout is way better than the SC10 4x4 that I sold within a few days of owning, I have to agree with Kingdom as well. There is obviously something wrong with the material used in the diffs. I'm a bit disappointed that the new hardnened pins are wearing just as fast as the first batch. Now we have quite a bit of others complaining about the material used on the actual gears. I understand about wear and tear but if OFNA (I mean OFNA of all places lol) gears and pins are holding up in our heavy trucks, then Losi needs to look at beefing up the diffs internals.

Everything else on the truck is great. I see the diffs as a major issue and hope that Losi fixes these issues.
I understand the frustration that the new pins are not seeming to last much longer, but...

I replaced my pins with chris pins after one battery pack which deeply scored the stock pins but didn't wear big grooves and alter the gear mesh inside the diff. My diff gears, and the little washers and squares still look perfect after several race days, so not all the diffs are having problems. My big washers behind the sun gears were indeed worn and I will be replacing those, but other than that, my stuff has been flawless. I can't help believing that those with bad gears probably ran too long on the soft pins and once the gears wore abnormally, they probably aren't ever the same.

jmho
Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I'm ready to get a 4x4 SCT and it's between this and the SC10, however both appear to have their share of problems. I'm afraid that the summer will be over by the time the issues are resolved, but itching to get into 4WD!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
I appreciate all the communication and help from Hacker and Casper and they are great representatives of their company..

but +1 kingdom

If losi could just get a HD diff kit available (like the 8ight's), it would take care of most people w/o a second thought. I know hacker has stated something is on the way. With any luck my diffs will hold out until then, but the problem is others have not been so lucky w/ the pins and/or the gears.

my only 2c on this subject. done.
+2 like i said.. good design, Great CS , but engineering/production is far far behind.. just need a HD diff kit and the truck would be bulletproof!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wcrase101 View Post
I'll give it a shot when I can get the parts, thanks!!
If you don't have access to heavier sway bars at the moment, when the track gets traction simply choke up on your rear sway bar. That will loosen up the rear and possibly stop the traction roll. You could also tighten up the droop screws, that a quick and easy adjustment. Adjusting the sway bar would be my first choice though. Slide the collar so that more of the bar is sticking out.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Im excited to get my losi ten scte. It's used w/low run time and I will install chris pins and check out the diffs upon it's arrival. However, here's the thing...

1. They came with bad diff pins, fact.
2. The new new diff pins that took a looong minute to get are also pretty crappy. Seems to also be fact.
3. The issuance of the replacements, even though they seem to be inferior, seems pretty inconsistent. Some folks wait a long time, some got them weeks ago, etc...
4. These pin issues are causing other issues for some, like premature gear wear, diff blocks, etc...

I mean, Chirs pins are available, and I'd buy them, but I can see where some folks are a little pissed, even though it's a cheapsih fix, just based on principle. Saying "nothing is perfect" doesn't really help those that are essentially screwed, right?

So yeah. I love Losi, Casper, Ryan, and I don't plan on running anything BUT Losi. That said, there seems to be a pretty big (and growing) issue here, that the management of the company, not the porduct developer, or a team driver, need to address.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972 View Post
I understand the frustration that the new pins are not seeming to last much longer, but...

I replaced my pins with chris pins after one battery pack which deeply scored the stock pins but didn't wear big grooves and alter the gear mesh inside the diff. My diff gears, and the little washers and squares still look perfect after several race days, so not all the diffs are having problems. My big washers behind the sun gears were indeed worn and I will be replacing those, but other than that, my stuff has been flawless. I can't help believing that those with bad gears probably ran too long on the soft pins and once the gears wore abnormally, they probably aren't ever the same.

jmho
I understand, but again I was referring to the Losi hardened pins. I too have Chrispins installed and haven't had any issues so far, but I don't have near the amount of battery packs gone through mine as some of the racers here on this forum. I too have noticed wear on the shims.

I can't blame the guys who have been running their trucks hard and are experiencing the diff issues. Not everyone here runs their trucks the same way, with regards to how hard they run them.

I also wonder if using the grease that was provided stock, is another way to prevent faster deterioration of the gears vs. using silicone diff fluid. I know a few guys here on the forum like using the grease vs. silicone.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racerx1920 View Post
the aluminum they use is soft, i have seen many shock tower from them twist and snap
the stockers right?

Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post

Saying things like this is simply flaming. Please dont. The aluminum in the towers is fine for most and many have NO problems with them. The carbon are lighter and last a very long time.

Not to start a war, but what the previous guy said is correct. First day i took my new scte to the track and about half way into the day i noticed my body holes did not lined up. about 3/8 off, didnt think of anything. went home took it apart to re do the diifs (AGAIN) and i find that the rear shock tower was in this shape ( in other words arched towards the front. Took a pair of long needle pliers and a towel and bent it back until i can afford a new one or some better.

We are trying, not perfect, but trying.

props to you guys though. i know its a lot of people having issues/calls so im sure thats frustrating as hell. hoping losi comes out with either a new design or better parts that dont wear that fast
Originally Posted by AMorgan View Post
I'm trying some new diff shims to see how it works out. They're a set from Mugen for MBX series diffs. It's a much larger and more precise shim for behind the sun gears (I currently have 2 behind the case side gear and 1 behind the gear side gear) and then 1 of each of their 3.5mm shims behind the planetarys. The 3.5mm shims have some play (similar to the current sun gear shims from the factory) but should spread the force over the case and aluminum blocks rather than pressig the shims into the blocks. I'll have to give them a few weeks to see how they work out. Beyond that, the truck has been solid.
please let us know how that works as my scte is eating the shims behind the sun gear like none else.

(truck has 1 race day totaling 6 packs ran)
Well after i took it apart this is what ai found as most of you have.

started to fold

blocks have minimum wear

not sure how the pins that had issues looked like before but mine seem ok i guess

i asked ryan via pm if they updated the pin in this new batch (got it from horizon last week) and he said if they did there would be a lot number. Im not sure if he meant this number ^^^?

mind you this is the second set of shims i used. drove my ass an hour to another hobby store and get a rebuilt kit. now im out and i placed an order from my local hobby store for 4 more sets. this is with all 3 diffs and the back one makes a clunk noise when i let off. sound like if a gear mesh was set too tight. so far i have called losi (bill) and contacted horizon with no reply yet. ill wait until monday and see what they said or what other shims i can use
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
I'm ready to get a 4x4 SCT and it's between this and the SC10, however both appear to have their share of problems. I'm afraid that the summer will be over by the time the issues are resolved, but itching to get into 4WD!
honstly I wouldn't wait.. get a SCTE and snag some chris pins for the diffs and run run run until new parts are out, if you dont just get a new truck for next race season update to the newer diffs and be happy. There really are no other issues w/ the scte and there are a few fixes that will get you through the summer. I've seen a few sc10 kits now, I know I'll never buy one.. two gear boxes basically and a servo you can't get to.. not a design for racers or bashers. If I were to get any other besides the scte it be one of the tim bump hyper most likely.. but you would have to pay me to switch to that one vs my scte.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My truck is going to be in on Tuesday. Do you all think the Chrispins or the OFNA pins are better? Which ones have the reputation for holding up better?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
My truck is going to be in on Tuesday. Do you all think the Chrispins or the OFNA pins are better? Which ones have the reputation for holding up better?
Get the ChrisPins and install them on day 1 or harden them yourself which was another great fix that worked well and had NO signs of wear even on 4s.
I am currently using the OFNA fix in the center and it's holding up really good too.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by alvinsmith75 View Post
If you don't have access to heavier sway bars at the moment, when the track gets traction simply choke up on your rear sway bar. That will loosen up the rear and possibly stop the traction roll. You could also tighten up the droop screws, that a quick and easy adjustment. Adjusting the sway bar would be my first choice though. Slide the collar so that more of the bar is sticking out.
cool thankyou for that one I will definitly give it a try, would doing that up front help as well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.