Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That is actually one of the reasons I use the 8ight shocks, they are very easy to bleed.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Casper or hacker....

Do you know if the new kits will be shipping from the CA warehouse or the IL one?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
Casper or hacker....

Do you know if the new kits will be shipping from the CA warehouse or the IL one?
Both!

On shocks. We have not had any issues getting the shocks the same on rebuilds. I fill the shock. Push up the saft about 50% and then slide the bladder on to "wipe" off the excess oil and then screw on the cap. Done. Pretty easy. This the same way I build my 8ight shocks.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
If thats the case, why does every aluminum shock cap on the market basically, have the side bleeder holes, including the 8ight and 22? In my experience, they make the shocks easier to build with the desired rebound, without unscrewing, and screwing on the shock caps completely if you don't get them exactly right when you first screw them down. IDK, call me old fashioned, but i prefer them
Yes, you got it. That's the only current reason for needing the hole on the side. " If you don't get it right the first time." Watch the video, he never bleeds the shock. I used to use the side hole to bleed and it was inaccurate 50% of the time, but after seeing this, I have the same rebound all the time. It's less messy also. Try it you'll like it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips on the caps guys. I guess I'll wait off on drilling the bleeder holes.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
I'm gonna try it.

I'll drill a 1.15mm hole in the top of the cap and put some foam behind the blatter.

I'm also gonna drill a 1mm hole in each cap for the bleeder hole.
S/X,
If you do end up doing the mod, buy the foam that Losi sells. Before they came out with the Losi foams, I tried using some foam from those "Pep Boys" foot mats. They flatten out and become useless. You'll need a closed cell foam. If you have some closed cell laying around, use the small barrel tip for the sanding drum on your Dremel tool. Pull the sanding drum 3/4 way out off the barrel tip and use it as a plunging tool into the foam. Works pretty good. Good luck with it. Post up your results.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dnebout View Post
S/X,
If you do end up doing the mod, buy the foam that Losi sells. Before they came out with the Losi foams, I tried using some foam from those "Pep Boys" foot mats. They flatten out and become useless. You'll need a closed cell foam. If you have some closed cell laying around, use the small barrel tip for the sanding drum on your Dremel tool. Pull the sanding drum 3/4 way out off the barrel tip and use it as a plunging tool into the foam. Works pretty good. Good luck with it. Post up your results.
I used some open cell foam. That is what the foam looks like on a main. I've got some extra closed cells lying around. I'll try them.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wow...everyone...a bleeder hole is only put into a bladder shock so that the shock can in turn be used in another way and that is to remove the bladder and use it as an emulsion shock. If you use a bladder, a bleeder hole is not needed as oil should never get to the other side of a bladder or it will hydro lock. So, bladder shock, no bleeding. Emulsion shock...equals bleeding necessary. That is why our 22 and 8ight have the bleeder holes, in case you want to run them as an emulsion type shock.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
That is actually one of the reasons I use the 8ight shocks, they are very easy to bleed.

Hey! is this the actual TEN-SCTE?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
Wow...everyone...a bleeder hole is only put into a bladder shock so that the shock can in turn be used in another way and that is to remove the bladder and use it as an emulsion shock. If you use a bladder, a bleeder hole is not needed as oil should never get to the other side of a bladder or it will hydro lock. So, bladder shock, no bleeding. Emulsion shock...equals bleeding necessary. That is why our 22 and 8ight have the bleeder holes, in case you want to run them as an emulsion type shock.
Thanks Ryan for clearing all that up.

Do you recommend closed or open cell foam for on top of the bladder when doing the team mod for consistency? I know you guys sell the foams, are they closed or open? They look open.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Cool! School me! What is the difference between the bladder shock and an emulsion shock other than the bladder? Is one better than the other? Or is it just another way of building a shock...like a full size car shock?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
Thanks Ryan for clearing all that up.

Do you recommend closed or open cell foam for on top of the bladder when doing the team mod for consistency? I know you guys sell the foams, are they closed or open? They look open.
If you are going to do it, use open cell foam. Its too hard for most to get the right closed cell foam and its really just for support. Personally, I dont recommend it as I never liked the mod, was more difficult to build shocks and for an 8 minute run, not going to notice it.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Hacker,
The closed cell foam I used did seem stiffer than the foams that Losi sells now that you and SX mention it.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dnebout View Post
Cool! School me! What is the difference between the bladder shock and an emulsion shock other than the bladder? Is one better than the other? Or is it just another way of building a shock...like a full size car shock?
A good example of an emulsion shock is our old 10th scale shock, like the one on the XXX series of cars. Emulsion shocks will always have some air in them, however it ends up spread through the oil fairly evenly once the shock has been run through its stroke a few times. A bladder shock has no air in it other than what is above the bladder. A bladder shock can be built with a specific rebound whereas an emulsion shock really cannot. Take the 22 for instance, we ran them bladdered and then cut out the bladder to run them emulsion and it turns out we all liked them on clay better as emulsion. That will likely not hold true for an outdoor rutted track as we will want to play with rebound. So, it depends on where you run and what the surface is like.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

A good example of an emulsion shock is our old 10th scale shock, like the one on the XXX series of cars. Emulsion shocks will always have some air in them, however it ends up spread through the oil fairly evenly once the shock has been run through its stroke a few times. A bladder shock has no air in it other than what is above the bladder. A bladder shock can be built with a specific rebound whereas an emulsion shock really cannot. Take the 22 for instance, we ran them bladdered and then cut out the bladder to run them emulsion and it turns out we all liked them on clay better as emulsion. That will likely not hold true for an outdoor rutted track as we will want to play with rebound. So, it depends on where you run and what the surface is like.
Thanks for the explanation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.