Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm 100 percent they are missing I sift through everything with a small jeweler flat head screw driver just some badluck gonna open the next diff and size the washers and hit the hardware store I appreciate your help thank you so much!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay" I completely understand some people
can't read posts correctly...I do it myself all the time...
But heres the deal guys"

#1 I have never said I don't love my Losi SCTE ever any where on the net
or at the track because I do love my Losi SCTE.. Now if your reading
correctly that one is cleared up..

#2 I was not complaining about my Losi SCTE or Ryan. I was trying to help
a guy out with a problem that many are having with the SCTE and they get
ignored by everyone not just Losi people when they speak. So now I got
people talking about it which is good. Customers of Losi need to know that
fellow customers of Losi as well as Losi/Horizon are not ignoring them. That
was my only intent with my post..

#3 There really is a diff pin problem,diff gear problem,aluminum block
problem,planet gears getting ate up by shims between the planet gears
and aluminum block problem. The diffs are slightly under engineered for
this hefty of an SC truck that can put tons of power down because of it's
heft. I've said it many times before and here it is again: I believe Losi will
fix all these problems with the diffs given enough time. The other possiblity
will be after market companies will get it fixed first.

#4 I have ran AE SC10 gear diff pins in my SCTE from day one. My stock
Losi pins looked like they had 100 batteries run through them when I took
them out with out turning a wheel ever. This is a fact and many have said
the same when they took their diffs appart new. Thanks to the Net and
some forums including this one I knew to replace my pins before ever
turning a wheel on the SCTE.

#5 I have had one set of rear diff gears self destruct because the washers
behind the planet gear ate into the back of the gears and the aluminum
blocks allowing the gears to have to much play so they could strip the
whole diff out. I was one of the guys who bought (two) SCTE trucks at
the same time figuring new truck blues would cause me to need parts that
would not be avalible right away. (GUESS WHAT???) I was correct and I
have been able to keep mine running.

I have an AE SC10 4x4 (only one) because I just want to test what both
the big two have to offer and so far I'm not impressed with it and I don't
really (at this point) see me hanging on to it very long. The Losi SCTE out
of the box stock vs the AE out of the box stock is no contest IMO the
Losi wins hands down out of the box. The Losi is a much more user friendly
truck out of the box for every average R/C racer at every level.

I Love my Losi SCTE and will be around racing it for along time to come, so
count on me being here helping guys out I feel are being ingnored for quite
awhile much to the dismay of some on here...LOL"

Lets not ignore guys who have spent hard earned money on a truck that
expected to be able to race it with normal wear and tear" Money is tuff to
come by these days for alot of people, for those people they would at
least like to know someone is listening to their problems. Not to much to
ask IMO..

PS: Thanks Ryan for your direct line info. your trying harder then alot of
people at Losi or Horizon.. Thanks for everything you are trying to do for
all us SCTE owners... I was not trying to rattle your cage directly, I was
just trying to rattle a few general cages, which it seems I did LOL"
Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Pin poped out of my center/rear drive shaft ugh Cant find the part anywhere any one have a idea when this part should come in or know where the secret stock pile of them is hidden?

edit::: rrp hobby has them in STOCK WOOT WOOT along with Gold/silver springs and spurs FYI
Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 185 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The factory Losi guys run AKA for short course classes since Losi does not make SC tires at this time.
Is there a reason Losi has not opted to make their own tires at this point? I recall seeing photos way back when Casey P was running a Strike on rcshortcourse.com and he had SCT Digits on his truck that looked pretty production
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Chuck,
I have to say, this last post of yours is so much better than the other one. The other one came off as inflammatory and I could easily see it being offensive to Ryan or other Losi employees. I understand your frustration and this last post of yours was articulate and well thought out. The other was accusatory and seemed to be fueled by either anger or frustration. We all say things we probably could have worded better at times and maybe that was one of them. You have to understand that Ryan has poured his heart and soul into this truck. From an engineering standpoint, and I think you would agree here, this truck is a very successful project. It handle's well, it's fast, it's easy to drive for all levels. It's a fantastic racing vehicle whether you are a top level pro or a beginner trying your hand at racing for the first time. It's a new truck and there's bound to be teething problems. We're getting through them, they've been identified and Ryan, with Losi standing behind him, has been excellent on identifying the problems and is hard at work to rectify them. Most manufacturers would never admit that there was anything wrong and either continue making subpar (not saying Losi is making subpar trucks) equipment/vehicles. Or they'd just quietly address the problems behind closed doors such as AE's SC10 chassis breaking issue when they first came out. They didn't really acknowledge the problem, but it magically got fixed. We're very fortunate to have Ryan & Casper both here to communicate with us. As long as we keep things friendly and informational, they're happy to acknowledge or look into an issue. On Saturday, I had a problem that I fixed on my truck, Ryan was at the track, so I offered him to take the broken parts with him to analyze since I had no need for them (they were broken afterall lol), he thanked me and declined and then informed me that they were aware of the issue and it's already being fixed. It wasn't a big issue and I prefer not to talk about it here because if one person says they had this happen, then all of a sudden the whole internet blows up and says "it's a POS, this blew or that broke etc." I don't that to happen. It's a rather rare issue, but does pop up from time to time, enough to where Ryan decided to make a running change to future parts relevant to my problem. That's the most we can ask for. Remember, sometimes it's not the engineering that's done, but the type of materials used. I don't know who makes the decision of what grade of steel or aluminum to use for different parts, maybe it's Ryan, or maybe it's a bean counter that puts pressures on the engineers to cut costs by using lesser materials in non-stress areas. Honestly, I don't know how that works. Heck, in the case of the diff pins, Ryan and Losi told the manufacturer which materials to use and they still used a different material. These things happen, it's not their fault, however the ultimate responsibility falls upon them since the truck has their name on it. But try to be understanding and I'm sure soon enough, this truck will be darn near bulletproof just like the Losi 8ight's have been. I hope I'm not jinxing myself (knock on wood), but my truck has been run since the first week they came out and I have to say, I've only broken a couple of parts, one being the bumper, another was the steering assembly arm (the part that looks similar to a servo horn) and the one thing I mentioned to Ryan on Saturday. I race twice a week on an indoor clay track which has so much traction that it puts a heavy load onto the driveline and have been running it on an 1/8th scale Motor on 3s. That's a lot of abuse! I just recently put in the 1410 so hopefully I'll start being easier on my truck, but it's taken all the abuse I've thrown at it and not so much as flinched. Yes we all wish parts were here sooner and the bugaboos worked out, but we need to be patient. One great thing that has happened with the shortage of parts, is it has caused people to look outside the box (literally) and find alternative fixes such as how you've used the SC10 diff pins. These actually benefit all of us as we may one day find ourselves in a position where the LHS doesn't carry Losi or you're at a track and they don't have the parts your looking for. Well, now you've got alternatives to help keep you on the track. Ok, I feel like I'm rambling now, soo....San Dimas High School Football Rules!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by R.Bryant View Post
Has anybody worn any of their Chrispins? I pulled my center diff apart tonight to install lightened out drives and my Chrispins has enough wear on them i can see and feel with my finger nail. Blocks are still round and gears look good. Need to pull front and rear apart now to check them.
yes, I was rebuilding my diffs last week and had notice that only in the center diff I had grooves on the pins.( not bad but they were there) I had too double check to make sure I didn't put in the wrong pins, verified they was the chris pins because they have the bigger gap in the middle. the other two diffs had nothing going on just the center set. I notice that the center diff gear was rubbing on my elite motor mount thought maybe that could have something to do with it, not sure why. I really only have one race on my truck and about 5 practice runs.

Last edited by wcrase101; 05-26-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lon_L View Post
Ryan, as one of the original people who reported having issues with the diff gears, I would have thought I would have recieved some replacements. I saw where you said they had all been sent out, but I never received any.

I was told originally when I called HH about the pins that I would also receive the gears. So it seems I must have not been on the right list?
I was told that to and I also had this truck since day one. no gears yet but,,,! I called HH on monday to see about getting my DX3R fixed for me and while I was at it I asked about them, I got the pins the next day. that was fast but maybe they were already in the mail. hope to get the gears too, as mine didn't last very long at all. I got lucky and found some. but think that it would be cool if they got replaced too

Last edited by wcrase101; 05-26-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wcrase101 View Post
yes, I was rebuilding my diffs last week and had notice that only in the center diff I had grooves on the pins.( not bad but they were there) I had too double check to make sure I didn't put in the wrong pins, verified they was the chris pins because they have the bigger gap in the middle. the other two diffs had nothing going on just the center set. I notice that the center diff gear was rubbing on my elite motor mount thought maybe that could have something to do with it, not sure why. I really only have one race on my truck and about 5 practice runs.
i think Losi must come out a solution later on for the pins.............my friend's 8ight-e have no wear on the pins for 1 year running time.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marco926 View Post
i think Losi must come out a solution later on for the pins.............my friend's 8ight-e have no wear on the pins for 1 year running time.
They do....it's called Atterberry performance engineering. Give him a call....you guys have to realize nothing is perfect. Hence the reason aftermarket companies exist and are quite profitable.

CW.....with shims missing....I too was missing 2 in center, ran it anyway and have not seen any ill effects of not having them.
If you look back a few pages Casper posted links to amain with 12mm shims.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wcrase101 View Post
I got the rear apart this morning and there is no signes of wear at all. Doesnt look like they have even been run. Time to check the front
Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
I find this odd as we got some in and shipped them not too long ago and our next shipment is due the first week of june.

Online, I found it at superior hobbies. But pegasus, coyote, MOHR, Mikes Hobby Shop...etc...should all have them as well.
i was not looking enough then. thanks ryan.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwilkinson View Post
disappointed

I found the truck in stock today @ a Hobbytown near me just started tearing the diffs apart and the pins are already wore and looking at the manual and the layout of the diff I'm missing the washers "atleast I think they are that washers" that go inside the diff on the block that sits inside the diff case I've only opened the center diff and to find that really irritates me Is it crucial to run those washers between the block and gear?? Or just something they had in the drawing of the diff that they canned but kept in the drawing?
When you take the diff apart with the grease in there, I find those shims almost always get stuck to the little aluminum blocks. Just something to check.

Originally Posted by Buzz3 View Post
Casper or Ryan, is there an updated chassis coming soon? The front on mine is bent and I need some more beef on the next one. I do have some hard crashes on it, but it's only raced. I read where someone here is trying CF but am not sure I want the flex. Either way, it's better then bent. I will need something soon. Thanks for all your help.
Well, soon is an odd word. Soon in most peoples eyes is in the next few weeks, Soon to a manufacturer is a few months. LOL. I have mentioned a couple times us releasing a milled chassis. Well, it is getting close to going into production. We tested both the same chassis material and 7075 and found that being its a TLR chassis, we decided to go with the much stronger material. So, a new stronger, lighter chassis is on the way. But it likely wont be here unitl the end of July at the soonest.

Originally Posted by Marco926 View Post
This is a combination of the pins, and the gears. We have completely redesigned gears coming that will also take a great deal of brunt off the shafts as there is much less twisting motion involved which is what is causing the shaft failures.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pword View Post
i was not looking enough then. thanks ryan.
Not a problem at all, just glad they were found.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buzz3 View Post
Casper or Ryan, is there an updated chassis coming soon? The front on mine is bent and I need some more beef on the next one. I do have some hard crashes on it, but it's only raced. I read where someone here is trying CF but am not sure I want the flex. Either way, it's better then bent. I will need something soon. Thanks for all your help.
The new chassis will be lightened. Still working out the bugs on this design but getting much closer. I won't go into much more detail on that but I would round up another stock chassis if yours is bent bad. The stock ones seem to be holding up quite well though. The new lightened "hop up" chassis should be pretty awesome when it does come out though. Again still working through some design revisions. Losi works hard to get things to the public right the first time. You may be amazed a the time and effort that goes into some of this stuff. Part of the reason it takes a little while to get stuff out. Sometimes like the diff pin issue things don't go as planned as bad material gets used and they work there tails off to fix those types of problems.

Originally Posted by cwilkinson View Post
I'm 100 percent they are missing I sift through everything with a small jeweler flat head screw driver just some badluck gonna open the next diff and size the washers and hit the hardware store I appreciate your help thank you so much!
Kyosho makes 3mm shims as replacements. Not sure you are going to find these shims at a local hardware store but I may be mistaken.

Kyosho is not the only ones to make these but here they are in stock at A-main.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...3x5mm-Shim-Set

Originally Posted by pink_sleeve View Post
Is there a reason Losi has not opted to make their own tires at this point? I recall seeing photos way back when Casey P was running a Strike on rcshortcourse.com and he had SCT Digits on his truck that looked pretty production
Not sure why they are holding off on SC tires at this time. I am sure there is a good reason. I have a few sets of the ultra digits I have been lucky enough to test. They work great on low dust high bite tracks and LAST FOREVER!!!!!! I am sure this is in there future plans as they have a few cars out right now that use the SC style tire. Luckly between JC, AKA and proline there are plenty of choices for good tires out right now but it would be awesome to have some losi compounds and tread designs for my trucks!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pink_sleeve View Post
Make their own tires......are you serious??? They can't even get us the parts that we need and you want them to wonder off into the tire business. Let's let Losi focus on one thing at a time. They took care of the diff pins issues, the next issue of importance to me is to get their spare parts available for this rig.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.