Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my blocks are getting a groove from the shims/washers.. seems like the material is too soft.. the shims/washers embedded themselves into the blocks and was a pain to remove... washers is flush with the blocks... anyone having the same problems??

left block has the shim still on.. right block has shim removed...

Old 04-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bustanut666
my blocks are getting a groove from the shims/washers.. seems like the material is too soft.. the shims/washers embedded themselves into the blocks and was a pain to remove... washers is flush with the blocks... anyone having the same problems??

left block has the shim still on.. right block has shim removed...
Dum. Dum. Dummmm.

Uh oh. Hope this isn't the next dif weak link. At least the blocks have 2 side that could be used to help extend the life.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've not seen that problem in mine or Rages diffs... However talking with Rage today he said he temped his diff on Saturday and it was 170 on the center.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Congrats its page 420!!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

I just wanted to say, I've really enjoyed today's hot button topic, the 540 (1410) vs. 550 can vs. 1/8th scale motor, 2s vs 3s talk. These kinds of topics often get VERY heated and I really want to commend all of us that have been involved for keeping it relevant, rational and for the most part a good intelligent and knowledgeable conversation.

The fact that we're even having this conversation shows how versatile the SCTE really is We all run on very different surfaces, track lengths, track styles (open vs. tight, small and large), different climates, indoor and outdoor. Then you factor in how differently almost every one of our driving styles are. With all that as well as other factors, one setup isn't going to be perfect for everybody. Even 2 different people on the exact same track at the same time will perform differently and may be better off with different setups.

Ok back to todays topic real quick. I just wanted to point out an analogy that I think many of you can grasp since there seem to be a very large motocross and RC offroading crossover...I look at the 550 can motors on 2s as 2-stroke motors, small displacement and gets a lot of power out of that small displacement. This is why you see 250cc 4-strokes race in the same class as the 125cc 2-strokes and 450cc 4-strokes racing in the same class as the 250cc 2-strokes. While the 1/8th scale motors on 3s are more like a 4-stroke. It takes a lot more displacement to get the same amount of power. The benefit to the larger displacement of the 4-stroke vs 2-stroke is better low-end torque and less pollutants. In this analogy, the "pollutants" for our purposes is heat while in MX bikes, it's actual carbon based pollution. The advantages of the 2-stroke vs 4-stroke is more power from less displacement and weight savings. In the MX world, 2-strokes and larger displacement 4-strokes have been racing very successfully together for years now. I really don't think it's too much to ask for us to be able to do the same.

Just a question that I'd like to pose to those of you who are adamantly against allowing the use of 1/8th scale systems on 3s for racing purposes? I think we've covered pretty well that the 1/8th scale motors don't have any performance advantages over the 550 cans and certainly are penalized for the added weight systems and as well as the 3s battery. So why is it that you don't want to run against someone who is using the 1/8 scale system? Is there any legitimate reasoning that anyone has?

Personally, I think the CHOICE should be allowed up to the end user. I've run into people that have run both and prefer the 550's light and nimbleness to the 1/8th systems. As well as people that prefer the 1/8th system over the 550's because of their durability. I think that both systems achieve the same performance just use different means of getting there.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I just wanted to say, I've really enjoyed today's hot button topic, the 540 (1410) vs. 550 can vs. 1/8th scale motor, 2s vs 3s talk. These kinds of topics often get VERY heated and I really want to commend all of us that have been involved for keeping it relevant, rational and for the most part a good intelligent and knowledgeable conversation.

The fact that we're even having this conversation shows how versatile the SCTE really is We all run on very different surfaces, track lengths, track styles (open vs. tight, small and large), different climates, indoor and outdoor. Then you factor in how differently almost every one of our driving styles are. With all that as well as other factors, one setup isn't going to be perfect for everybody. Even 2 different people on the exact same track at the same time will perform differently and may be better off with different setups.

Ok back to todays topic real quick. I just wanted to point out an analogy that I think many of you can grasp since there seem to be a very large motocross and RC offroading crossover...I look at the 550 can motors on 2s as 2-stroke motors, small displacement and gets a lot of power out of that small displacement. This is why you see 250cc 4-strokes race in the same class as the 125cc 2-strokes and 450cc 4-strokes racing in the same class as the 250cc 2-strokes. While the 1/8th scale motors on 3s are more like a 4-stroke. It takes a lot more displacement to get the same amount of power. The benefit to the larger displacement of the 4-stroke vs 2-stroke is better low-end torque and less pollutants. In this analogy, the "pollutants" for our purposes is heat while in MX bikes, it's actual carbon based pollution. The advantages of the 2-stroke vs 4-stroke is more power from less displacement and weight savings. In the MX world, 2-strokes and larger displacement 4-strokes have been racing very successfully together for years now. I really don't think it's too much to ask for us to be able to do the same.

Just a question that I'd like to pose to those of you who are adamantly against allowing the use of 1/8th scale systems on 3s for racing purposes? I think we've covered pretty well that the 1/8th scale motors don't have any performance advantages over the 550 cans and certainly are penalized for the added weight systems and as well as the 3s battery. So why is it that you don't want to run against someone who is using the 1/8 scale system? Is there any legitimate reasoning that anyone has?

Personally, I think the CHOICE should be allowed up to the end user. I've run into people that have run both and prefer the 550's light and nimbleness to the 1/8th systems. As well as people that prefer the 1/8th system over the 550's because of their durability. I think that both systems achieve the same performance just use different means of getting there.

Scott, to be honest I didn't even know you were running 3s at first. In fact I didn't know until you posted on here you were. IMO your 1/8th setup on 3s was in the same neighborhood as my 1415 on 2s. You weren't blowing my doors off, and when I was having good runs during practice(which were few and far between) our trucks were matched up pretty good. That says it all right there if you ask me. Can't wait to come back up and rub fenders again
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911

I was in the 550 ROAR thread last year... I'm all for run what you brung for mod 4wd. Last year it seemed everyone had electronics issues and others didn't. I ran into issues on 2s and the 550's... Just recently did I test the 550's on 3S and everything felt much better IMO. But it's already been set that 2s is the standard, it's going to be hard to sway ROAR and quite a few people who are vested in this class as 2s.

I just want people to get nice long run times, have no heat issues and a reliable ESC that can last a season. So far all the testing I and quite a few others have done point to this being a good option for this truck. But I don't see the Rango guys stacking packs and the AE is 2S only (from what I can tell). The Jammin and Hyper10 don't really need 3s to be pushed for 10-12 minutes hard. I don't see it as a winning battle... But if ROAR can approve 4 pole motors, I think it would help with the strain on the electronics.

But I am all for 3S in races...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarqueeRc
Congrats its page 420!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

4pole FTW!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cult Racing
4pole FTW!!
Indeed, now where's that 20t pinion to keep up with those Neu motors
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork
But if ROAR can approve 4 pole motors, I think it would help with the strain on the electronics.
Originally Posted by Cult Racing
4pole FTW!!
if ROAR approved 4 pole, non-sensored motors, all of this debate would/should go away. so far, i am liking my tenshock motor. if castle came out with a larger canned 4 pole motor that was mass produced (something in between a 1512 and 1515 at around 4500-4700kv) it would rule the class and everyone would forget about sensored 550 set ups and also forget about the talk of needing 3s on these rigs.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vintage boy
is losi making a revised 1/10 ten-scte 4x4 to cure all issues particularly the weak diff pins, weak diff parts, weak bumpers and shock towers? is there a graphite shock towers? and more importantly is losi doing something about the thin center f/r dogbones because it bends and wables easily. i hope there is because i am very eager to buy a scte 4x4. thank you
AH.......NO! READ,READ,READ,READ,READ Start at page #1 or go Troll elsewhere!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Sure... kinda dirty sorry.

Kinda is an understatement. Damn that thing is filthy. Im glad I missed out on the bash session. Mine is still a track queen, so clean.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vintage boy
is losi making a revised 1/10 ten-scte 4x4 to cure all issues particularly the weak diff pins, weak diff parts, weak bumpers and shock towers? is there a graphite shock towers? and more importantly is losi doing something about the thin center f/r dogbones because it bends and wables easily. i hope there is because i am very eager to buy a scte 4x4. thank you
No they are still making the same crap, you better not buy one. lol
Better than a weak truck. Damn who made one of those. lol
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Yea 4 poles are great, Kingdom Racer got me on the 4 pole kick, I'm addicted. I will say the last track layout the 3800 was almost to much for the track. I turned quicker laps with the sensored setup, but have more fun driving the 4 pole. My last race I went back to the 5.5 Tekin, still sucked but it's perfect for the small indoor track. Outside the 3800 is going to be killer, can't wait.

I plan on keeping the Tekin 5.5 for the AE and run the 4 poles in the Losi. I'm using a SP 5.5 right now and it feel almost identical to the Tekin. The Viper 550 4.5 was a little quicker than the Novak 4.5 but ran a little warmer. Going to pick up all new packs in the next couple of weeks and go back to the 4 pole for the outdoor season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.