Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SEF
So for club racing at OCRC, they allow 3s setups? Because if they do, than that's great! I think the battery limit rule for 1/8 scale or 4x4 SC is misguided unless you are trying to establish a stock class.

For 4x4 SC, I've had more problems with overheating motors, malfunctioning esc's, and puffed lipos trying to push the limits of 2s (which every racer does), as opposed to being in the normal operating range of 3s.

You get more runtime, lower operating temps, and higher safety for the racer with a properly set up system.

I hope ROAR and other tracks would allow the correct battery and motor for the application.

Why not be like 1/8 nitro buggies which allows any motor up to 0.21 in size with any fuel. It's like saying you must run an RTR motor with 10% nitro for all 1/8 scale nitro buggies.

Just my rant for the day.
It has to do with cost and the fact that it is a 10th scale class. These really should only go so fast. Our truck handles the power, not all of them do. But nothing wrong with 2s, we just all want too much power, lol.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by white boy
this mayh have been aswered already. im running a a rx8 and a tekin 5.5 motor. but im having temp issues again. has anyone tried the 1/8 castle 2200 kv momba monster in the scte yet. i run it in my truggy and never had a temp issue. just a thought.
Put your "current limiter" at 90% on your ESC via your computer with the link. It will help alot. Also, once you get rid of the grease in the diffs, it will also remove alot of the drag the grease causes. Just my .02.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
It has to do with cost and the fact that it is a 10th scale class. These really should only go so fast. Our truck handles the power, not all of them do. But nothing wrong with 2s, we just all want too much power, lol.
I agree 100%.... R/C racers don't know when enough is enough HP's because
they don't have to strap their azz into it and drive it with their life on the
line like full size racers do...

I race against 2650's on 4S in RC8's & 10th SC's with 2650's on 3 & 4S with
my SCTE on 2S 4.5T 550 geared properly and win.There is a point of no
returns if people would only pay attention.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

So far, it's cost me more running on 2s (but that may be quality issues with the equipment since I've gone through a couple MMP's and blown some 550 motors). I haven't had an issue running my 2650 motor on 3s. Like Scott said, when geared correctly, the 2650 on 3s is about the same straight away speed as a 4.5 on 2s, but the end result is lower operating temps and fewer issues running on 3s.

Nothing wrong with 2s for some cars, and nothing wrong with 3s for other cars. Just make a stock and modified class and be done with it. No one ever tried to save a buck running 1/8 scale and 4x4 SC classes.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chuck 21

Well said Chuck!!! Everyone always wants to put a flux capacitor into their rig to get that 1.21 gigawatts to hit 88 mph. That's for any "Back to the Future" fans.....but I may be giving away my age but typing that line.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Yeah, my point exactly. The fastest car doesn't win, the fastest driver does. But when I race 1/8 nitro, some guys with RTR motors will beat other guys with $500 modified motors, but there aren't rules that say you can't run the two against each other.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

SCTE on 2S 4.5T 550 geared properly and win.
Hey Chuck, how do you have your's geared at? Is that a Tekin setup??

I'm running the same setup geared at 14/40 and I have my current limiter set to 90%. Once I did that, my temps dropped and my run time increased big time.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think with the right gearing on 3S you attain about the same speed with a lower KV motor and as SEF said it's easier on the electronics, safer and less worry about run times. I think 4S is a bit much...

They should keep the 550 rules but anyone running a 6.5 or higher should be allowed to run 3S. No 1/8th scale motors in 1/10th, while they do work I feel you can get everything you need out of the 550's. Then it's just twisting ROARS arm to allow 3S and not just 1/8th motors. But we all know ROAR it won't happen.

I found this truck on 2S to be very hard on my battery packs, both HK and my race packs. Motor heat has been fine but my packs will not last as long as if I was running something lighter. ROAR wants to keep the cost down, but in the long run it will end up costing me more. This is the deep wallets class, if you can't afford to keep up with the class IMO go back to 2wd (or get a better job and quit bishin).
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

There is a point of no
Did you mean to say, the Law of Diminishing Returns??

3s on a 2650 maybe with 80 EPA...4s?? the flag is going up..unless 60EPA.

You are correct though...4.5 550 in the right hands will take down and other motor combo in the wrong hands...but if you were to race the 2650 against yourself with the 4.5...I could almost guarantee the results would be different!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SEF
So for club racing at OCRC, they allow 3s setups? Because if they do, than that's great! I think the battery limit rule for 1/8 scale or 4x4 SC is misguided unless you are trying to establish a stock class.

For 4x4 SC, I've had more problems with overheating motors, malfunctioning esc's, and puffed lipos trying to push the limits of 2s (which every racer does), as opposed to being in the normal operating range of 3s.

You get more runtime, lower operating temps, and higher safety for the racer with a properly set up system.

I hope ROAR and other tracks would allow the correct battery and motor for the application.

Why not be like 1/8 nitro buggies which allows any motor up to 0.21 in size with any fuel. It's like saying you must run an RTR motor with 10% nitro for all 1/8 scale nitro buggies.

Just my rant for the day.
For club racing, yep, they allow it, so cruise on down. For the Big races such as the JConcepts race this coming weekend they don't because the title sponsor adheres more closely to ROAR and is in compliance to their rules.

Ryan,
You're right, there's always going to be that element that just wants more and more power and eventually meet the point of diminishing returns and have a truck that's uncontrollable and undriveable. We'll leave that to the bashers who want to run 4s for high speed runs. But for most of us, we just want to run a system that has enough power in reserve to make it over any jump on the track and have the added safety of never having to worry about heat issues or burning up motors/esc's which in the long term will save us money as well as saving the manufacturers money from having to give out replacements all the time. Honestly, I'm pretty sure all the 4x4sc's currently on the market can handle the 1/8 scale motors. I had one in my Slash 4x4, people routinely ran them in their Ofna's as well. Though they're called 1/10 scale, its much closer in build quality as well as size to an 1/8 scale class. I can put my SC body over my 1/8 scale buggy and it fits almost perfectly. True 1/10 scale would be closer to the size of the HPI Trophy Truck. Also, when I first put my truck on the track with 2s and my 1/8 system in it, my truck was so slow that it was I was at risk of getting plowed from behind on the straight. When I put my 3s in it, it was about equal to the 550 can motors. Because of the higher KV that the 550's are putting out, they have a higher top end, the 1/8th systems replace their lack of KV with higher volts. In this application, they end up pretty much equal with the exception of having a weight penalty for the 1/8. 4s or higher on the other hand would be different. If you want to drive my truck to see how it is, I think you'd see what I mean that I don't have an advantage having more power because it's actually about the same. But I do have the advantage of not having to worry about heat and burning up my motor Lastly, I want to address cost, these trucks are coming as rollers which are great because it allows people to put the motor/esc's of their choice into their rides. People are already running RX8's with the SC4X 550 motors which is on par with the price of the RX8/T8 motor/esc combos. For racers, the price difference is negligible. I really just think the rules were put in place before the class had matured and we saw what these trucks were capable of. ROAR and other race organizers should be open to changing rules as a class matures and more knowledge becomes available such as this case.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
For club racing, yep, they allow it, so cruise on down. For the Big races such as the JConcepts race this coming weekend they don't because the title sponsor adheres more closely to ROAR and is in compliance to their rules.

Ryan,
You're right, there's always going to be that element that just wants more and more power and eventually meet the point of diminishing returns and have a truck that's uncontrollable and undriveable. We'll leave that to the bashers who want to run 4s for high speed runs. But for most of us, we just want to run a system that has enough power in reserve to make it over any jump on the track and have the added safety of never having to worry about heat issues or burning up motors/esc's which in the long term will save us money as well as saving the manufacturers money from having to give out replacements all the time.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure all the 4x4sc's currently on the market can handle the 1/8 scale motors. I had one in my Slash 4x4, people routinely ran them in their Ofna's as well. Though they're called 1/10 scale, its much closer in build quality as well as size to an 1/8 scale class. I can put my SC body over my 1/8 scale buggy and it fits almost perfectly. True 1/10 scale would be closer to the size of the HPI Trophy Truck. Also, when I first put my truck on the track with 2s and my 1/8 system in it, my truck was so slow that it was I was at risk of getting plowed from behind on the straight.

When I put my 3s in it, it was about equal to the 550 can motors. Because of the higher KV that the 550's are putting out, they have a higher top end, the 1/8th systems replace their lack of KV with higher volts. In this application, they end up pretty much equal with the exception of having a weight penalty for the 1/8. 4s or higher on the other hand would be different. If you want to drive my truck to see how it is, I think you'd see what I mean that I don't have an advantage having more power because it's actually about the same. But I do have the advantage of not having to worry about heat and burning up my motor

Lastly, I want to address cost, these trucks are coming as rollers which are great because it allows people to put the motor/esc's of their choice into their rides. People are already running RX8's with the SC4X 550 motors which is on par with the price of the RX8/T8 motor/esc combos. For racers, the price difference is negligible.

I really just think the rules were put in place before the class had matured and we saw what these trucks were capable of. ROAR and other race organizers should be open to changing rules as a class matures and more knowledge becomes available such as this case.
Had to break that out so I could read it.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Had to break that out so I could read it.
hahahaha Hey at least I used punctuation. That would've made for an AWESOME run-on sentence
Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
Hey Chuck, how do you have your's geared at? Is that a Tekin setup??

I'm running the same setup geared at 14/40 and I have my current limiter set to 90%. Once I did that, my temps dropped and my run time increased big time.
Thats a loaded question unless you race at the same tracks I do..LOL" Plus
I have no throttle control due to a badly injured throttle hand I only have
full throttle or no throttle and sometimes I miss the throttle all together
several times a lap. I do the best I can with what I got & have fun..

Heres my set ups:

702 Vegas 12/40 RX8 90% Novak 4.5 (box stock)

Havasu AZ 13/40 RX8 90% Novak 4.5 (box stock)

Coyote R/C Victorville CA. 12/40 RX8 90% Novak 4.5 (box stock)

West Coast 12 or 13/40 RX8 90% Novak 4.5 (box stock)

Temps at 10 minutes between 130 & 170 depending on outside temps.

I tried 14/40 at Havasu AZ out door track & in 7 minutes I was 210 with
an outside temp of 90+ degrees
Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The weight of the Losi is really pushing the capability of the equipment. These cars should really be on 3s to be safe imho.

1/10 SC is really getting similar in size and weight to 1/8 scale and it is totally retarded to run these cars on 2s. 2s batteries are really not capable of putting out the juice required. I was putting a hurting on my packs this weekend and you can feel them sagging (Thunderpower 65c...) My Hobbyking packs could barely take it.

Does 2s work? Yes. However, I like my stuff to be done right, not just good enough. Fans and the like are for improperly setup cars imho.

Going to 3s with lower kv motors is no more expensive than 2s setups.

The class is growing like gangbusters around here. We are getting a lot of nitro guys buying the cars as 2nd or third class to run outdoors. I am predicting we are going to start seeing some serious issue this summer trying to run these cars on big 1/8 size tracks in summer heat.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
The weight of the Losi is really pushing the capability of the equipment. These cars should really be on 3s to be safe imho.

1/10 SC is really getting similar in size and weight to 1/8 scale and it is totally retarded to run these cars on 2s. 2s batteries are really not capable of putting out the juice required. I was putting a hurting on my packs this weekend and you can feel them sagging (Thunderpower 65c...) My Hobbyking packs could barely take it.

Does 2s work? Yes. However, I like my stuff to be done right, not just good enough. Fans and the like are for improperly setup cars imho.

Going to 3s with lower kv motors is no more expensive than 2s setups.

The class is growing like gangbusters around here. We are getting a lot of nitro guys buying the cars as 2nd or third class to run outdoors. I am predicting we are going to start seeing some serious issue this summer trying to run these cars on big 1/8 size tracks in summer heat.
I for one completely agree with you... and to make matters worse the AE truck is so limited by battery and motor sizes. So they will complain since they cant run them in their vehicles...

Losi for the win

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.