Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Casper, THANK YOU!

In response to your shims statement, I noticed in one of the ends of the diff pins/gear, it didn't have a shim. The other ends of the diff gears had shims. Is that going to be an issue? If so, I hope my LHS has them. I understand they're easy to lose but I know I didn't lose it. It just didn't have one.

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I would go with carbon for the SCTE. A little lighter and they are protected by the body. The machiend alum ones were intended for the 810 which has exposed towers but they will work on the SCTE if you like alum.

5-5-3 or 5-3-3 are what we are running the most in so cal area.

Once you get the hang of it, and find what screws it is not that hard. I take the bottom 5 out first and pull the rear clip off.

I then take the top two and bottom two screws out to get the bumper off.

Take top two sway bar screws out and loosen bottoms to spin the brace out of the way.

Top two screws for diff case.

So 14 screws. Yeah it seems like a lot but I use my Hitachi so it does not take very long at all. You only need one bit for most of it. (you need the 3/32 for the 4 larger bottom screws but everything else is 5/64 (2mm). so it is pretty easy.

Front takes a little longer.

I take the three back screws off the top plate.

Take the 4 large diff case screws and the two outside steering link screws

Pull the front end off.

Top two screws for the bumper off.

Then you need to take the two cap head screws out and the top two diff screws out.

You have a diff. Again with a mechanical screw driver this is all much easier.

It is not that hard once you do it a couple times though.

For the ring and pinion I would just use losi black grease.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99203. I usually fill in the teeth of the ring gear and then install it and spin it around a little and this gets the ring gear.

For rebuilding the gear diffs look at this nice video of Drake describing the build. For the Ten diffs leave the thin washer in. It is ok to remove it for the 8ight diffs but we recommend you use them in the ten diffs. Everything else holds true.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LosiRaci.../2/Jm7gQCbnWMs
Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey all you SCTE owners, myself included need to give a big thanks to Chris for making those diff pins for us all. I know Losi will get theirs out as quickly as they can, but Chris doing this for us all has really helped everyone out.

I don't know how much Chris is making off all this, but I bet it can't end up being more than a few hundred dollars and he is putting in I'm sure a lot of time on this. I'm sure he could make more money putting in a few hours overtime at work but I am also sure he has put in way more time doing this.

So I just wanted to say thank you and I hope everyone who is running their cars right now with Chris pins will do the same.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ran the truck for the first time last night. Ran 5-5-3 with stock tires. Truck liked to slide around quite a bit in the rear end. Currently running the stock shock oil (30) and changed the shock positions to Casey's setup. Can anyone give me some ideas as to how to get the rear end more "planted" when coming out of the corners on power?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972 View Post
Hey all you SCTE owners, myself included need to give a big thanks to Chris for making those diff pins for us all. I know Losi will get theirs out as quickly as they can, but Chris doing this for us all has really helped everyone out.

I don't know how much Chris is making off all this, but I bet it can't end up being more than a few hundred dollars and he is putting in I'm sure a lot of time on this. I'm sure he could make more money putting in a few hours overtime at work but I am also sure he has put in way more time doing this.

So I just wanted to say thank you and I hope everyone who is running their cars right now with Chris pins will do the same.
+1
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1 View Post
Thanks for the shortcut! I haven't gotten to the front yet. Any shortcuts for the front?

Yup.. front diff has a few more steps but not much harder.

-Remove the front two chassis screws in the front diff housing (also holds bumper), loosen the back two chassis screws while you are there
-Remove top two screws for bumper (set aside)
-Remove top two screws for sway braces, loosen bottom two twist out and pull sway up
-Remove top two diff case screws
-Loosen or remove the top front two screws on the front top brace (not necessary but gives a little more wiggle room) *careful you don't loose the spacer if you remove them*
-Carefully slide screw driver under front of diff lift it a touch and then unscrew the bottom two front diff case screws.
-Pull front of diff case out, do deed, reinstall.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 03-31-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I totally agree ! I think Losi owes him a debt of gratitude also cause there would be a whole lot more angry SCTE owners if he wasn't making these pins !
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1 View Post
Casper, THANK YOU!

In response to your shims statement, I noticed in one of the ends of the diff pins/gear, it didn't have a shim. The other ends of the diff gears had shims. Is that going to be an issue? If so, I hope my LHS has them. I understand they're easy to lose but I know I didn't lose it. It just didn't have one.
You talking about the little shims IN the diff next to the square blocks? I am not sure how important they really are. I always put them back in. The can get stuck to the square blocks so double check those and see if it is attached. I don't know for certain but have a feeling you will be ok if you don't have one.

Originally Posted by Ram4whldr View Post
Ran the truck for the first time last night. Ran 5-5-3 with stock tires. Truck liked to slide around quite a bit in the rear end. Currently running the stock shock oil (30) and changed the shock positions to Casey's setup. Can anyone give me some ideas as to how to get the rear end more "planted" when coming out of the corners on power?
Go to outside on the rear hub. 3 in the center diff helps as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

You talking about the little shims IN the diff next to the square blocks? I am not sure how important they really are. I always put them back in. The can get stuck to the square blocks so double check those and see if it is attached. I don't know for certain but have a feeling you will be ok if you don't have one.
Yes, those are the shims I was talking about. I don't know how important they are either because they're very very thin shims.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Like I said I don't think missing one is going to kill anything but not 100% certain on that. Yes they are very easy to lose. I always take my diffs apart on a clean shop towel (blue ones) so I can find things when the diff gets pulled apart.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I think losi should send him something nice for supporting thier racers so well, maybe a nice 6000mah 60c battery or a hauler case or something. Come on losi step up and take care of the guy taking care of your customers
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Guys, thanks for the gratitude, but this IS a business. I am working my tail off, gave up 90% of my free time for the last couple weeks, but I am making money on every sale. Capitalism at its finest. God Bless America.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Like I said I don't think missing one is going to kill anything but not 100% certain on that. Yes they are very easy to lose. I always take my diffs apart on a clean shop towel (blue ones) so I can find things when the diff gets pulled apart.
It might be more significant than you think . I think its there to give the spider gears clearance from the diff case so they dont rub on the case , and since those square blocks are made of aluminum I bet the spiders gears would wear them down without the washer .

This is only my opinion , I havent had any experience running without the washers but I am sure they are there for a reason .
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
Guys, thanks for the gratitude, but this IS a business. I am working my tail off, gave up 90% of my free time for the last couple weeks, but I am making money on every sale. Capitalism at its finest. God Bless America.
Thank you Chris. I felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb with the old diff pins in there. I have your diff pins in now and feel much better about the truck.

And let's be honest here, with arms going for $50+ on ebay (which is truly capitalism at its finest), you can charge much more for your pins and people would still buy them (but that would be a monopoly at its finest).
Old 03-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I believe that the shim keeps the back of the spider gear from rubbing on the case too. If you lose it 50-60% of the back of the gear will touch the case. That would be a huge source of drag.

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem View Post
It might be more significant than you think . I think its there to give the spider gears clearance from the diff case so they dont rub on the case , and since those square blocks are made of aluminum I bet the spiders gears would wear them down without the washer .

This is only my opinion , I havent had any experience running without the washers but I am sure they are there for a reason .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.