Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Chris, YGPM
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Who else is making quality hardened diff pins for my SCTE? I need a set asap, thanx.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apl Hed
Who else is making quality hardened diff pins for my SCTE? I need a set asap, thanx.
Chrispins, the only way to go. It's worth the 3dayish wait.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

apple its charlie.... kerby has some harden pins
Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My body is pretty much toast. It didn't hold up well at all, my fault for crashing, I guess lol But my Proline bodies held up much better on my Slash 4x4, but then again, I shoe goo'd the heck out of them. Anyway, What aftermarket bodies are you guys using on your trucks? I like the JConcepts version of the Raptor and was told that part number 0215, the "One size Fits Most" will fit pretty well. If anyone's used this one, how badly did you have to chop, er, I mean "trim" it to fit? I also like the Jconcepts Illuzion Dare body because of the ability to put some LED's in the lightbars. I race so that aspect isn't really important but I think it'd be pretty fun to do just for the heck of it. Has anyone used it? What other bodies have any of you put on and how much trimming did you have to do to make it fit? Pix would be great too. After all, don't we all want a reason to show off our trucks? lol here's what mine looks like right now
Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you have a dremel and a couple integy hex drivers you can have pins in a half hour. the shaft on the driver is a perfect fit. Its really not very hard...just do it. I have at least 20 packs on my integy pins and there is no wear. There is a few of us running these pins and it is a great fix without the wait or relying on anyone.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
What other bodies have any of you put on and how much trimming did you have to do to make it fit? Pix would be great too. After all, don't we all want a reason to show off our trucks? lol here's what mine looks like right now
I'm using a Jconcepts Tuth body for a Blitz. The Truth is probably my favorite body, love the low profile of it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I am currently running the SC10 body which I think is the best looking body out there, however it is also probably the least durable. As far as the most durable I found that the Hyper bodies are the most durable(not the best looking). I havent tried my Hyper body on the Losi yet but I bet it would work. There are a few cuts you can make to the hyper body to dress it up a bit.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Anything that will fit a Blitz or SC 10 should work on this ......

I have tried the stock Blitz body , the 09 Champ. AE body , the stock SC 10 body , and the JC Manta , and the JC Raptor and all were a decent fit .
Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Krazykeith
If you have a dremel and a couple integy hex drivers you can have pins in a half hour. the shaft on the driver is a perfect fit. Its really not very hard...just do it. I have at least 20 packs on my integy pins and there is no wear. There is a few of us running these pins and it is a great fix without the wait or relying on anyone.

cool, thanx
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley
You'll get used to the diff ordeal after awhile. Once you get the routine down, you can swap fluids in about 10 minutes per diff. The first time will take much longer though as getting the grease out is a PIA.

I think the SCTE is actually one of the easier trucks to work on

1. Either shock tower set will be fine.

2. Thats a good start on diffs then go from there.
Thanks. Yeah its a PITA but hopefully I'll get the process down fast.

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
alum would be toughest, but graphite if you just race for sure (or a mix)

553 552 is what most recommend, im' still in tune mode though. Actually sticking w/ stock grease in the front and center and 3k in the rear.

rear diff -

remove bumper 4 screws
remove top sway screw, loosen bottom twist sway holders to slide sway up
remove top diff screws (2)
remove back two chassis screws, loosen front two screws.
Pop back side of diff cover off pull out diff - do deed - reinstall

Front is similar, but rear is much easier to just pull off than the front.. front is quickest to just do in place
Thanks for the shortcut! I haven't gotten to the front yet. Any shortcuts for the front?

Originally Posted by AnonymousUser
I bent my front shock tower as well, went with the aluminum. Preference I guess....

Now if I could just get the 1/8th truggies to stop pushing me off the track
lol I know what you mean. I didn't know the shock towers were that "soft." I ended up buying some stock shock towers for now but eventually I'll probably upgrade to the milled towers.

Originally Posted by BmainStar
So was it easy or a pain in the a..s?Have you ever had a r/c race car before?It gets easy after a few times,you will get familiar with it!!!Be sure to use the current limiter on the rx8 to control heat!!!! And the C.F. should be lighter than milled alum,but if you bent the stockers milled Alum might be for you should be more stought than the C.F.
Yeah I know its a bit of an oxymoron. Taking out the screws is the easy part. The amount of screws to hold one part is the tedious part. I know I know, I'm being a b*tch. I want my cake and I want to eat it too dammit! lol

Thanks for the tip on the current limiter on the rx8. I've heard 90 (?) is a good number to start with, or was it 10? Now I'll have to search over 300 threads to find the recommended settings. Can someone put the recommended settings on the first page??? lol
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Some more questions for you guys.

1. I understand what type of silicone fluid I should use for the diff gears, but what about for the ring & pinion gear (front and rear) in the diff housing? Should I use the same fluid or grease?

2. How much? I noticed the grease on the ring & pinion gear is "clean."

3. For the actual diff gears, I assume I fill up the inside just enough to cover the top portion of the gears, correct?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
My body is pretty much toast. It didn't hold up well at all, my fault for crashing, I guess lol But my Proline bodies held up much better on my Slash 4x4, but then again, I shoe goo'd the heck out of them. Anyway, What aftermarket bodies are you guys using on your trucks? I like the JConcepts version of the Raptor and was told that part number 0215, the "One size Fits Most" will fit pretty well. If anyone's used this one, how badly did you have to chop, er, I mean "trim" it to fit? I also like the Jconcepts Illuzion Dare body because of the ability to put some LED's in the lightbars. I race so that aspect isn't really important but I think it'd be pretty fun to do just for the heck of it. Has anyone used it? What other bodies have any of you put on and how much trimming did you have to do to make it fit? Pix would be great too. After all, don't we all want a reason to show off our trucks? lol here's what mine looks like right now
I use the JConcepts "universal" SC body, Raptor edition, on my SCTE. Here's some pics:

I had to trim the front fenders quite a bit so there isn't any binding when pushing down on the chassis and turning the wheels. Other than that, everything fits well, looks great, and the lexan used for this body is considerably thicker than the proline raptor body, which I also have.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
Well I bent both the front and rear shock towers today just practicing on the track and bashing off the track. It was all my fault for the bent shock towers so I'm fine with that. So I decide to work on the rear first.....

First off, WHAT A PITA it is to take off the rear shock tower lol. Definitely a lot of screws. Its easy, but damn what a hassle.

I then decided to take apart the rear diff. Again, WHAT A PITA lol. Seriously, I don't know how you racers take the time to replace the diff fluids regularly. I'm looking for shortcuts on how I would tackle this job if I ever had to replace the fluid in the future and it still looks like a PITA to do. Wow. lol

Anyhow, the pins in my rear diff look fine. I am starting to see a TINY bit of wear/etching but its not bad at all. I'm going to wait until I receive my chrispins before putting everything back together. I'm also getting a Tekin RX8 and SC4X in the mail tomorrow

Some questions for you guys:

1. Would you recommend the carbon fiber or aluminum (milled) shock towers? Which one would take more of a beating?

2. Is the recommended diff fluid 5/5/3 (front, center, rear)? What would you guys recommend?
I would go with carbon for the SCTE. A little lighter and they are protected by the body. The machiend alum ones were intended for the 810 which has exposed towers but they will work on the SCTE if you like alum.

5-5-3 or 5-3-3 are what we are running the most in so cal area.

Once you get the hang of it, and find what screws it is not that hard. I take the bottom 5 out first and pull the rear clip off.

I then take the top two and bottom two screws out to get the bumper off.

Take top two sway bar screws out and loosen bottoms to spin the brace out of the way.

Top two screws for diff case.

So 14 screws. Yeah it seems like a lot but I use my Hitachi so it does not take very long at all. You only need one bit for most of it. (you need the 3/32 for the 4 larger bottom screws but everything else is 5/64 (2mm). so it is pretty easy.

Front takes a little longer.

I take the three back screws off the top plate.

Take the 4 large diff case screws and the two outside steering link screws

Pull the front end off.

Top two screws for the bumper off.

Then you need to take the two cap head screws out and the top two diff screws out.

You have a diff. Again with a mechanical screw driver this is all much easier.

It is not that hard once you do it a couple times though.

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
Some more questions for you guys.

1. I understand what type of silicone fluid I should use for the diff gears, but what about for the ring & pinion gear (front and rear) in the diff housing? Should I use the same fluid or grease?

2. How much? I noticed the grease on the ring & pinion gear is "clean."

3. For the actual diff gears, I assume I fill up the inside just enough to cover the top portion of the gears, correct?
For the ring and pinion I would just use losi black grease.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99203. I usually fill in the teeth of the ring gear and then install it and spin it around a little and this gets the ring gear.

For rebuilding the gear diffs look at this nice video of Drake describing the build. For the Ten diffs leave the thin washer in. It is ok to remove it for the 8ight diffs but we recommend you use them in the ten diffs. Everything else holds true.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LosiRaci.../2/Jm7gQCbnWMs
Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I had to trim the front fenders quite a bit so there isn't any binding when pushing down on the chassis and turning the wheels. Other than that, everything fits well, looks great, and the lexan used for this body is considerably thicker than the proline raptor body, which I also have.[/QUOTE]
nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.