Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (99%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
The Durango has issues also so lets not put all your eggs into one basket. The Losi issue is easier to fix than the Durango problems, not to mention it's cheaper and easier to get.
Don't get me wrong, I would have had one of the first Losi's out, but I learned my lesson with the Strike. It's pretty easy to see that Losi has a serious QC problem between US and the manufacturing plant, and it keeps biting them in the ( , )

What would be really nice to see is companies like this use US companies that know what quality is to make the major components like Diff's, CVD's, ect. That goes for Losi, Durango, AE, Traxxas..... ect. The aftermarket parts seem expensive to us, but with the qty that would be run, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I'd pay an extra $20 per kit to have some US components in there. Just think of the PR boost.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (99%+)

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY View Post
huh!! i payed 600 for a tamiya 502x at xmas and still waiting for spares to be distributed. broke a front bulkhead thats atatched to the front gear box and had to pay 40$ for the parts tree that luckily i got from a canadian team driver, other wise it would still be on the shelf. i have vintage 80's shelfers but i had planned to run the newer vehicles but i guess not.
Gotta love Tamiya, that's a whole different topic. But you have to remember, those parts trees aren't just some $0.10, mass produced, hot molded ......... Oh wait, it is.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think this truck kick's ass and happy to have it.

However, I guess I don't get why it is so hard to find a local machine shop out there in California to simply machine up some diff pins so they can be sent out to customers in the interim while Losi figures out how to source them from China or wherever with the correct hardness. Hire a temp to handle the phone calls and emails and send out some pins.

This ain't rocket science and isn't like a new plastic mold or something needs to be designed and tested. I think someone in management is over thinking the situation personally.

I'm sure the cost to get a couple of thousand diff replacement pins made at a local machine shop is not that great in the scheme of things, particularly when compared to the bad PR.

I got my hardened set(s) from Chris like a week ago and he is just one guy screwing around in his basement making pins. I KNOW one of the product manager guys can just whip out a corporate card and find a machine shop to make some for short term replacement to keep the trucks out on the track.

My administrative assistant could have had this done and resolved like two weeks ago with her eyes closed.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post

However, I guess I don't get why it is so hard to find a local machine shop out there in California to simply machine up some diff pins so they can be sent out to customers in the interim while Losi figures out how to source them from China or wherever with the correct hardness. Hire a temp to handle the phone calls and emails and send out some pins.

This ain't rocket science and isn't like a new plastic mold or something needs to be designed and tested. I think someone in management is over thinking the situation personally.

I'm sure the cost to get a couple of thousand diff replacement pins made at a local machine shop is not that great in the scheme of things, particularly when compared to the bad PR.

I got my hardened set(s) from Chris like a week ago and he is just one guy screwing around in his basement making pins. I KNOW one of the product manager guys can just whip out a corporate card and find a machine shop to make some for short term replacement to keep the trucks out on the track.

My administrative assistant could have had this done and resolved like two weeks ago with her eyes closed.
My thoughts as well, but there must be some red tape that gets in the way and no scizzors in the building. What floors me is that people coming here to complain about it haven't seen how easy the fix is and made something happen. Does it suck, yes, but its a whole lot easier a fix then having diff cases flex.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 92 vert View Post
I see alot of people hacking the crap out of their trucks to save a little weight....am I the only one who likes that this truck weighs more to help on the large outdoor tracks on windy days??? My slash would blow around like a kite outdoors last summer..
I'm with you !!!!!!!! love the weight off the truck, can't wait for the big tracks to open on the east coast
Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TD-Ent View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would have had one of the first Losi's out, but I learned my lesson with the Strike. It's pretty easy to see that Losi has a serious QC problem between US and the manufacturing plant, and it keeps biting them in the ( , )

What would be really nice to see is companies like this use US companies that know what quality is to make the major components like Diff's, CVD's, ect. That goes for Losi, Durango, AE, Traxxas..... ect. The aftermarket parts seem expensive to us, but with the qty that would be run, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I'd pay an extra $20 per kit to have some US components in there. Just think of the PR boost.
It would probably be more like$100 more to be made here,go back and play on the durango thread your Avitar is scary
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Finally got some wheels/tires!
I got them on Amain Wednesday, got them today, Super fast shipping. These wheels sold out fast.

The Glads should hold up, They are M2's.
They aren't Glued yet.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I just purchased the castle Mamba max pro combo for my truck and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to mount the on/off switch. Can someone with this system please post a pic of theirs to help me out.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Loved the Gladiator tires on my 1/10 ST they hooked up just about everywhere , sometimes had too much traction . Those look pretty sweet !
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
I just purchased the castle Mamba max pro combo for my truck and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to mount the on/off switch. Can someone with this system please post a pic of theirs to help me out.
The switch can cause some on, off issues on hard landings,
I cut mine off and hard wire the thing w/o a switch, I know someone can show you theirs, mine is just a wire LOL
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post

Wow, nice admin. Make sure he/she gets the existing production run halted and corrected as well. Don't forget about notifying the supply chain and deciding if you will pull existing stock to correct the issue. Easy stuff, just have him/her take care of it on the way back from the machinist or during lunch.

...oh, also, I need a sammich.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
The Durango has issues also so lets not put all your eggs into one basket. The Losi issue is easier to fix than the Durango problems, not to mention it's cheaper and easier to get.
im not sure of all of losi's issues, but IMO, durango don't really have an issue if you do the correct things. If you do the following things for the durango, you should be good.

1) use center diff and not lock diff
2) shim correctly (re-check after your first run after the diffs have settled)
3) Ensure there's no play in the bevel gear

Maybe you can say str8 out of the box with the lock diff, durango has a problem. But after a $15 upgrade, you will most likely not have an issue.

For me, so far so good! I ran on a large 1/8th track for the whole day with no issues. I'll be running on indoor track tomorrow for the first time with it.

Another note (I can fault myself as well), we should all be happy to see three manufactures have pretty well built SC 4x4 (losi, durango, associated). This is good for the sport and good for us. We have GOOD options nows based off of true race platforms! Let's all get our issues fix, get on the track, then talk some smack (in a friendly manner)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
I actually just used strong double sided tape and taped it to the side of the ESC. I've not had any problems. You do always want to have the switch orientated so that you push down to turn it on, so a hard landing won't cause it to shut off.

I know lot's of people do away with their switches, but I just work to keep mine clean and I've not ever had a switch go out on any ESC or even on Nitro cars in the almost 30 years I've been racing. I personally like being able to plug my battery in before I'm ready to actually run. I don't plug it in and leave it for hours, but I do like the convenience of a switch.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
im not sure of all of losi's issues, but IMO, durango don't really have an issue if you do the correct things. If you do the following things for the durango, you should be good.

1) use center diff and not lock diff
2) shim correctly (re-check after your first run after the diffs have settled)
3) Ensure there's no play in the bevel gear

Maybe you can say str8 out of the box with the lock diff, durango has a problem. But after a $15 upgrade, you will most likely not have an issue.

For me, so far so good! I ran on a large 1/8th track for the whole day with no issues. I'll be running on indoor track tomorrow for the first time with it.

Another note (I can fault myself as well), we should all be happy to see three manufactures have pretty well built SC 4x4 (losi, durango, associated). This is good for the sport and good for us. We have GOOD options nows based off of true race platforms! Let's all get our issues fix, get on the track, then talk some smack (in a friendly manner)
I agree. I'm sure the Durango issues look big to us because we are driving the Losi. I know nothing of durango's customer service, but Losi is doing a good job of this even though everyone complaining thinks they can just send Gil down to a machine shop with a bunch of hardened steel rod and they can cut them all out. Guys, it doesn't happen that way. For better or worse, for ANY of the manufacturers to produce a car that any of us can afford, they have much of the manufacturing done overseas. Yeah, I don't like it, but I also wouldn't want to pay $600 for this kit which is my guess as to what it would be if the whole thing was manufactured here in the states.

Chill guys, I know it sucks, but they will get it fixed and it will be right. They are moving as fast as they can.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chiro972 View Post
I actually just used strong double sided tape and taped it to the side of the ESC. I've not had any problems. You do always want to have the switch orientated so that you push down to turn it on, so a hard landing won't cause it to shut off.

I know lot's of people do away with their switches, but I just work to keep mine clean and I've not ever had a switch go out on any ESC or even on Nitro cars in the almost 30 years I've been racing. I personally like being able to plug my battery in before I'm ready to actually run. I don't plug it in and leave it for hours, but I do like the convenience of a switch.
I only did this on the Castle 2400 system had my switch level and it did this a few times ,thought the esc was takin a dump, it was the switch,Known problem with this system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.