Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM
  #46111  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (34)
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,869
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Mike1977 View Post
I understand that I was just curious about a good happy medium to start.
The two setups on my site are for the 2.0 truck. The Origial setup is basically what we were running on the 1.0 truck at the end and is a really good neutral setup that works lots of places and is a great base to start with.

Also for you guys that are rebuilding your trucks look at the Casper-RC extreme grease. GREAT for ring and pinion gears and CV joints. Guys that are using it can't say enough about how great it works.
Casper is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 AM
  #46112  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Whats up guys!

I just picked up a scte off ebay for a pretty good deal, The catch is that its been run hard and put away dirty and not cared for, Ive been reading up on the fixes on this thread but i still cant seem to find any info on which dubro rod ends everybody is using to fix the turn buckle problems?

Ill probably be posting in here alot more now as i rebuild this truck to go racing!
SupaMan is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 AM
  #46113  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by SupaMan View Post
Whats up guys!

I just picked up a scte off ebay for a pretty good deal, The catch is that its been run hard and put away dirty and not cared for, Ive been reading up on the fixes on this thread but i still cant seem to find any info on which dubro rod ends everybody is using to fix the turn buckle problems?

Ill probably be posting in here alot more now as i rebuild this truck to go racing!

MIP offers two kits that will do the whole truck, minus the servo to servo saver link. The kit includes Dubro rod ends and Lunsford TI turnbuckles.

I will warn you that they are "Lightweight" kits. I say this because, after ordering and receiving the kits, I opted to not install. Both the rod ends and turnbuckles are approx. half the size of the Losi stuff and I just didn't feel like they would ultimately be strong enough. I'm not saying size matters but, it was too gross a change for me to take a chance with. Also, the kit requires you to use spacers, because of the rod end size difference. You could CA the spacers in place but, if you don't, I canít see how "quick" changes at the track will be much fun......you'll spend all your time on the floor looking for that stupid little spacer you just lost!

The above aside, does anyone else have experience with the MIP kits I mentioned? Or know of alternative rod ends that can be used with the Lunsford "Punisher" TI turnbuckles (i.e. same size as stock)?
2fast916 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 AM
  #46114  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Originally Posted by 2fast916 View Post
MIP offers two kits that will do the whole truck, minus the servo to servo saver link. The kit includes Dubro rod ends and Lunsford TI turnbuckles.

I will warn you that they are "Lightweight" kits. I say this because, after ordering and receiving the kits, I opted to not install. Both the rod ends and turnbuckles are approx. half the size of the Losi stuff and I just didn't feel like they would ultimately be strong enough. I'm not saying size matters but, it was too gross a change for me to take a chance with. Also, the kit requires you to use spacers, because of the rod end size difference. You could CA the spacers in place but, if you don't, I canít see how "quick" changes at the track will be much fun......you'll spend all your time on the floor looking for that stupid little spacer you just lost!

The above aside, does anyone else have experience with the MIP kits I mentioned? Or know of alternative rod ends that can be used with the Lunsford "Punisher" TI turnbuckles (i.e. same size as stock)?
I was looking at those MIP kits lastnight and half of the reviews ive found on them have mentioned stuff breaking, If this were anything but a 4x4 SCT i wouldnt be phased by it. But you know how stuff gets in SCT class.

I suppose ill just order a cheapo set off replacements and see if the rod ends get this type of play in them again.
SupaMan is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 AM
  #46115  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by SupaMan View Post
I was looking at those MIP kits lastnight and half of the reviews ive found on them have mentioned stuff breaking, If this were anything but a 4x4 SCT i wouldnt be phased by it. But you know how stuff gets in SCT class.

I suppose ill just order a cheapo set off replacements and see if the rod ends get this type of play in them again.

Honestly doesn't surprise me to hear that you've read that the MIP kits are not living up to the requirement. The kits include great qualtiy hardware but, way too small / inadequate for the job (my opinion of course).

I just finished rebuidling my entire truck with almost all new components...installed new Losi rod ends, the Al annodized balls, and Lunsford Punisher turnbuckles. Some play is still noticable but, it is much better than the previously worn items. While I'm always searching to shim stuff and eliminate play, I'm about ready to just live with the play
2fast916 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 AM
  #46116  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (34)
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,869
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Stick with the stock stuff and the alum Hard anodize balls. They will develope slop over time but the will not break.
Casper is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 PM
  #46117  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Stick with the stock stuff and the alum Hard anodize balls. They will develope slop over time but the will not break.
Will do! Thanks!
SupaMan is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:14 AM
  #46118  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 126
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Well I finally got the truck going again I really like this truck.. I'm going to go over the truck and change some stuff I have to read up on some things. I want it to turn sharper on none banked turns seems like it pushes too easy.
And I might change the motor?

Right now I have a 3800 castle 4 pole I'm debating on the 4500 viper motor it seems pretty reasonable as far as cost.

Although I always wanted to try a sensored motor but not sure how well the castle momba max pro will work with that?
Mike1977 is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 06:02 AM
  #46119  
Tech Regular
 
rcus3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: any*cal
Posts: 353
Default

Originally Posted by Mike1977 View Post
.

Although I always wanted to try a sensored motor but not sure how well the castle momba max pro will work with that?
Get the sensored motor. MMP does sensored fine. No different than others. Ran mine with reedy and hobbywing sensored motors.
rcus3r is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 07:55 AM
  #46120  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Anybody running the Tonys Screws screw kit? I need to pick one up because the previous owner had a big issue with stripping screws out.
SupaMan is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 AM
  #46121  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SupaMan View Post
Anybody running the Tonys Screws screw kit? I need to pick one up because the previous owner had a big issue with stripping screws out.


Tony is BY FAR the BEST screw kit on the market.
Integra is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 PM
  #46122  
Tech Master
iTrader: (66)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mc Rae, AR
Posts: 1,463
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Slop be gone! Vision Ball Bearing Ackerman

I admit it, I'm one of those guys who hates sloppy parts. Wheels that wobble and flop from extra play make it impossible for me to repeat settings for caster and toe. After swapping to the MIP steering rods a year ago I found myself replacing the ackerman plate often to take out slop. I have been looking for a ball bearing unit a long time. And those MIP steering rods are still going and have less slop than new stock rod ends and harden balls.

I first heard about these new Ball Bearing Ackerman Plates after looking for a carbon fiber plate that had less slop. They make a ball bearing ackerman plate set for the 8ight buggy, but nothing for the SCTE.

I tried to find my own solution while waiting for these to come to market. You will see my version in the picture below along with Vision Racing Carbon plates. I took a stock metal plate and drilled it for bearings and it worked good with nearly zero slop. Then I got my hands on the Vision plates with ball bearings and it was fantastic right from the start. NO SLOP and bolted on easy.

The longer plate bolts on and your done. For the short ackerman plate that I prefer you need to shave a small amount of material from the right side servo saver. It took me less than 30 seconds to do this. They kept the carbon as thick as possible for strength and I feel that was a good idea.

I have several races, practice days and a few crashes on the Vision ackerman plates on both my SCTE and Pro8. They have been flawless and still slop free. To top it all off, the cost of buying the Vision ackerman plate is cheaper than my version. After you buy bearings, the odd drill bit size and hardware you have invested more money and time than the cost of buying the Vision unit. That makes it a real winner for me.

See High Res Pics Here
http://www.vision-racing.net/product...59&id=35155322
http://www.vision-racing.net/product...59&id=35155320
Attached Thumbnails Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-ackerman-plates.jpg  

Last edited by Thunder Trail; 04-19-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Thunder Trail is offline  
Old 04-19-2014, 12:01 AM
  #46123  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Looks pretty awesome! However your link is dead for me. 404 not found.

Thanks for the feedback on the screw kit Integra!

As for the rod ends, im gonna try the losi 8b 2.0 ends with the HA scte balls and see what happens.
SupaMan is offline  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:30 AM
  #46124  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (198)
 
XXXDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Palm Beach, Florida USA
Posts: 6,120
Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up Link

http://vision-racing.net/products.ht...=0&sort=normal


Thanks for that tip I ordered the shorty link so as to speed up and quicken steering to get under those Hekno Trucks. I'm rebuilding the front end completely so I'll update you all on how it goes. My experience is the slop has little or no effect on the way the car handles. So let's see what all the new parts do for it.

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
I admit it, I'm one of those guys who hates sloppy parts. Wheels that wobble and flop from extra play make it impossible for me to repeat settings for caster and toe. After swapping to the MIP steering rods a year ago I found myself replacing the ackerman plate often to take out slop. I have been looking for a ball bearing unit a long time. And those MIP steering rods are still going and have less slop than new stock rod ends and harden balls.

I first heard about these new Ball Bearing Ackerman Plates after looking for a carbon fiber plate that had less slop. They make a ball bearing ackerman plate set for the 8ight buggy, but nothing for the SCTE.

I tried to find my own solution while waiting for these to come to market. You will see my version in the picture below along with Vision Racing Carbon plates. I took a stock metal plate and drilled it for bearings and it worked good with nearly zero slop. Then I got my hands on the Vision plates with ball bearings and it was fantastic right from the start. NO SLOP and bolted on easy.

The longer plate bolts on and your done. For the short ackerman plate that I prefer you need to shave a small amount of material from the right side servo saver. It took me less than 30 seconds to do this. They kept the carbon as thick as possible for strength and I feel that was a good idea.

I have several races, practice days and a few crashes on the Vision ackerman plates on both my SCTE and Pro8. They have been flawless and still slop free. To top it all off, the cost of buying the Vision ackerman plate is cheaper than my version. After you buy bearings, the odd drill bit size and hardware you have invested more money and time than the cost of buying the Vision unit. That makes it a real winner for me.

See High Res Pics Here
http://www.vision-racing.net/product...=0&sort=normal
XXXDad is offline  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 AM
  #46125  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (163)
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,944
Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SupaMan View Post
As for the rod ends, im gonna try the losi 8b 2.0 ends with the HA scte balls and see what happens.
That may not be a good idea.

The currently available 8B 2.0 ends are very loose on the balls. I found this out when I bought some of the new ones. I started sending email to places that had LOSA6046 in stock asking if they had the new or the old style (I sent them the pic you see below for reference) and bought up what old ones I could find because the new ones are way looser.

ta_man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.