Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If you put the right gearing in that calculator any motor works! Just because it says it will push a truck that fast doesnt mean it will do it without heat.
These specs are from a 13.5 540 can. It has the same top speed as your calculations, so it will work, right?

Differential Ratio: 3.888888888888889
Transmission Ratio: 1
Other Ratio: 1
Spur Tooth Count: 40
Pinion Tooth Count: 20
Total Voltage: 7.4
Motor KV: 3200
Tire Diameter (inches): 4.25
Tire Ballooning (inches): .10
Motor Current Draw: 0
Motor Coil Resistance: 0
Spur/Pinion Ratio: 2 : 1
Total Ratio: 7.77778 : 1
Tire Circumference (inches): 13.98 inches (355.09 mm)
Rollout: 1.80:1
Total Motor Speed: 23680 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 40.31 mph (64.75 km/h)
Effective KV Value: 3200
KT constant: 0.42 oz-in/A

Dont take this to serious I am just making a point. I have personally used the Castle SCT system, and it is a great system for a lighter truck. It will get this truck around the track, but you will burn it up trying to keep up with the 550s.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Geez you guys, all I said was their are better combos for this truck. I said it would work, but the 550 is ideal. Actually we are testing a XXX SCT tomorrow with a castle setup, looking forward to it.

This has nothing to do with Viper, Tekin, Castle or Novak. Because I have tested them. As I mentioned I am not brand specific, if I have tested it and it works but there is something else I tested that works better for the application I will recommend that. Has nothing to do with me testing anything for any company. I sell products, if the stuff I sell isn't up to par I want to know about it and this comes in form of testing. Which I also have sponsored a few drivers to help with testing different products.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KainK View Post
Dont take this to serious I am just making a point. I have personally used the Castle SCT system, and it is a great system for a lighter truck. It will get this truck around the track, but you will burn it up trying to keep up with the 550s.
I totally agree if using the sidewinder esc it comes with but have you tried it w/MMP because based on my actual testing the motor is fine and just as capable as a 550 can (which I also have tested).
I always appreciate people posting their actual results.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SaladFork View Post
Geez you guys, all I said was their are better combos for this truck. I said it would work, but the 550 is ideal. Actually we are testing a XXX SCT tomorrow with a castle setup, looking forward to it.

This has nothing to do with Viper, Tekin, Castle or Novak. Because I have tested them. As I mentioned I am not brand specific, if I have tested it and it works but there is something else I tested that works better for the application I will recommend that. Has nothing to do with me testing anything for any company. I sell products, if the stuff I sell isn't up to par I want to know about it and this comes in form of testing. Which I also have sponsored a few drivers to help with testing different products.

Good luck with the XXX-SCT. You better strap some weight to the front of it, unless you like wheelies! I tried it in my XXXt conversion and it is stupid overpowered.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

I'm sorry but I have to ask: Have you tested the 3800kv in a 6.5lb truck with an MMP?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post
I totally agree if using the sidewinder esc it comes with but have you tried it w/MMP because based on my actual testing the motor is fine and just as capable as a 550 can (which I also have tested).
I did use it with the MMP in my Jammin. It worked great, but that truck was substantially lighter and it was not the power of a 550.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

I always post my results. And like I said nothing against any company. I bought six MMP's last year for testing. Guess how many failed... 5 out of the 6. And I have tested the Castle 3800 4 pole, I get the clue. We actually tested two in two different trucks. And as I mentioned I did like the motor, but out of the other combos we put through test, it lacked in gearing options. You are very limited on how you can gear your truck. With the 550's you have a larger window to work with. For someone who run indoor tracks which are smaller you will be fine. Get outside and you will need to play with your gearing much more.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KainK View Post
I did use it with the MMP in my Jammin. It worked great, but that truck was substantially lighter and it was not the power of a 550.
What turn?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

What turn?
I use Tekin motors, a 4.5 and a 5.5. I have zero issues with the castle motor, but like salad said, there are better options.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

I always post my results. And like I said nothing against any company. I bought six MMP's last year for testing. Guess how many failed... 5 out of the 6. And I have tested the Castle 3800 4 pole, I get the clue. We actually tested two in two different trucks. And as I mentioned I did like the motor, but out of the other combos we put through test, it lacked in gearing options. You are very limited on how you can gear your truck. With the 550's you have a larger window to work with. For someone who run indoor tracks which are smaller you will be fine. Get outside and you will need to play with your gearing much more.
Ok, thank you. I feel it was and is just as good as a 5.5 but a little under a 4.5
And I won't argue about MMP having issues, I go with extra caps on all my esc's and don't usually experience any problems in any esc since then.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bondonutz View Post
@ S/X, Is name calling nessasary ?
Calling it like I see it.
Why dont you blow your dog and snuggle up with your inflatable male love doll w/the 9" and call it a night.
If that will make me cool...douche.

If the gentleman is so well versed then he dam sure can take a friendly conversation with a little ribbing. I've forgotten more about RC then most of the booger nosed kids here myself and I'm also well versed on BL. The Calc results make sense, regadless what brand motor. Theres no argument there far as I'm concerned. He's a Viper guy talking about a particular Castle product not being up to snuff, we disagree ?
BIG FARKIN DEAL, it is a forum after all ?
I can't wait until "I've forgotten more about RC then most of the booger nosed kids". Oh man, this guy is serious.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, thank you. I feel it was and is just as good as a 5.5 but a little under a 4.5
And I won't argue about MMP having issues, I go with extra caps on all my esc's and don't usually experience any problems in any esc since then.
I know the MMP works and I would buy one again, for the price it's great. Does it have issues, yes. Can you fix them? Yes, but somehow the three I had popped and the two others I sent to team mates smoked. With a cap and BEC.

Only one lasted and was moved into a crawler. Castle has top notch customer service, I would not hesitate to purchase any one of their products based off my MMP experience.

Last summer we went as far as testing 2S packs on eagle tree believing the ESC was pulling so much juice it was causing the 2S packs (no matter the C rating) to dip below LVC causing the BEC issues. Since we never ran into the issues on 3S that was our conclusion. So the MMP does work, I just think they work a little better on higher voltage.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Last summer we went as far as testing 2S packs on eagle tree believing the ESC was pulling so much juice it was causing the 2S packs (no matter the C rating) to dip below LVC causing the BEC issues. Since we never ran into the issues on 3S that was our conclusion. So the MMP does work, I just think they work a little better on higher voltage.
My experience is totally the opposite and still is. My MMP's work great on 2s with no BEC issues and just a cap on the receiver but when going HV (4s) it needs the external CC BEC.
I wasn't talking about the cap on the receiver when I posted earlier I meant caps on the actual esc near the board like so:

Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

My experience is totally the opposite and still is. My MMP's work great on 2s with no BEC issues and just a cap on the receiver but when going HV (4s) it needs the external CC BEC.
I wasn't talking about the cap on the receiver when I posted earlier I meant caps on the actual esc near the board like so:

And this is why we test stuff . Remember Kingdom you base a lot of your purchases and quite a few of your post have been based on what the consumer would want. The consumer doesn't want to have to solder or worry about the caps. They just want something they plug in and it works.

We both agree the MMP gets the job done but has issues which can be fixed, but doesn't come to the consumer like this. While I have fun trouble shooting, most do not. Most don't have enough money to purchase multiple setups because one failed since they didn't know about the 'fix'.

If we test and provide feedback hopefully they listen. And we have been talking with Patrick over at RCSC about the issues. Anything I have fail gets sent to the Patrick's desk so he can inspect if there is an issue himself. Castle is awesome I will give them that. But Viper also does the same for me, I give status reports on prototypes and they work on fixing the bugs.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

I must know the fix because I'm behind the counter as well and customers respect the honesty of my testing.
Well, we have hijacked this thread long enough.
Let's get back to the LOSI Ten-T

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.