Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ok, so with the new HD diff cases...Is there a revamped gear set for them since the little washers/spacers are not used? I know there was a gear update and it changed the shape of the gears but did they change any part #'s recently so i kno the new gears are the updated ones?

Or when i update to the HD cases should i just get the LOSB3569 and not use the little washers/spacers and buy the chris pins since i kno last time i went through the diffs a few of the pins were showing wear and just keep the internals i have. Had my LHS order the cases but i kno it will be some time before i have them and why i was wondering what everyone is doin. Mine was a Losi 810 that i bought a few years ago and converted last year and dont know if those are the old or new updated gears
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
14t is great even on huge tracks w/ the xerun 4k motor.. 15t works well if you're lipo's can make the full main 8minutes isn't a problem on 15t+, but if your track runs 10min mains I'd stick w/ the 14t, the insaine power band on these motors is awesome, you'll love it. I've tried them all, there is no better iMO.

Agreed.. 6k plus lipo's is pretty much must have. That said.. totally disagree on the motor comments, we go from racing on a huge 1/8 scale outdoor track to a carpet indoor track to a clay indoor track and the iMO the 4k is way better than the 4700. Not only do all the top drivers around here run the 4k, the local pro's do as well. You need to run your throttle on the indoor tracks at about 80-90% depending on setup but for outdoors 14t with a touch of boost will walk away from any setup out there. (use the HW esc, pit card makes it easy to add/subtract boost w/o a PC to lug around and worry about. PS we are 17-17.5 sec laps on our indoor clay track as well.

(some vid, im orange/white, won it this week.. but the pink and I are always battling.. least amount of mistakes wins )
thanks for the input, i think ill try the HW setup 4k, i already have the programing box that i was using for the BH esc, i had 2 of the BH escs fail the last two weeks in different trucks, one was brand new in a b44 cased a jump and it quit working, cant get a hold of the company, going to HW now...

i would probably go tekin, but racing 4 electric, 2 nitro and a crawler need to save some $
Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Any comments on why the hobbywing 4000Kv is better than the 4700?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GNS Racing 86
thanks for the input, i think ill try the HW setup 4k, i already have the programing box that i was using for the BH esc, i had 2 of the BH escs fail the last two weeks in different trucks, one was brand new in a b44 cased a jump and it quit working, cant get a hold of the company, going to HW now...

i would probably go tekin, but racing 4 electric, 2 nitro and a crawler need to save some $
Heck of a value w/ the SCTPRO (pro-c2) Combo for the 4x4, and the xtreme stock combo series is great for any 2wd or buggy 4wd 1/10 setup. I use the v3 esc and xerun combo in my scte, awesome esc but a little costly and overkill to be honest
Old 12-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
Any comments on why the hobbywing 4000Kv is better than the 4700?
There is a little more low end and it's a touch more effecient.. I think all the xeruns are actually a touch under rated (kv) but the 4k sits pretty close to the 30k rpm sweet spot you typically want with any brushless setup. Also w/ 4wd you can take full advantage of that torque... and a little boost even the biggest tracks you'll have enough power/speed. One of the few motors out there that has enough rear to allow some mid flight adjusting too if you had a less than ideal take off on a jump.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

There is a little more low end and it's a touch more effecient.. I think all the xeruns are actually a touch under rated (kv) but the 4k sits pretty close to the 30k rpm sweet spot you typically want with any brushless setup. Also w/ 4wd you can take full advantage of that torque... and a little boost even the biggest tracks you'll have enough power/speed. One of the few motors out there that has enough rear to allow some mid flight adjusting too if you had a less than ideal take off on a jump.
I understand all of this, but i have never ran timing, boost, or anything like that on any brushless motor. I think it's better to have the power from the start and be able to turn it down, than to not have it and stress the motor with boost or overgearing. It's for those reasons i'm wondering if it would be better to get the 4700 and turn it down, instead of trying to squeeze the power out of the 4000 if it doesn't fit my power needs.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
I understand all of this, but i have never ran timing, boost, or anything like that on any brushless motor. I think it's better to have the power from the start and be able to turn it down, than to not have it and stress the motor with boost or overgearing. It's for those reasons i'm wondering if it would be better to get the 4700 and turn it down, instead of trying to squeeze the power out of the 4000 if it doesn't fit my power needs.

Your description of power, maybe different than mine. The 4000 can provide enough power and top end with out a boost if you want it to just gear up, the 4000 has more torque than the 4700 it'll be just fine from really 14-16t. The trick is how much of your lipo's you eat up and how long of a run time you need to have. The 4k geared a touch lower with a little boost will be more effecient with your lipo's, it will NOT stress out ever and you can still have the same top speed down the stright a higher KV motor has. You will have the benefit of the control a slightly lower kv motor has in technical areas of the track. The 4k w/ 14t on any normal indoor track is overkill as is, with 15t on some of the rare large indoor facilities (motorama etc where you run on the 1/8 scale track). Keep in mind the stock losi SCTE motor is a 2800kv and they run that sucker geared WAY up to generate the power and a RTR with just that won motorama last year vs all the 4600,4700 motors out there.. higher kv in the same exact motor doesn't always mean more power, in fact in these vehicles it just means you gear lower to get the same top speed because any more is just wasted and ends up with a DNF due to LVC or way more crashes because you are too hot in the technical parts of the track that just don't need it to be fast.

Just an opinion, buy both and play you choice Good luck either way.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Your description of power, maybe different than mine. The 4000 can provide enough power and top end with out a boost if you want it to just gear up, the 4000 has more torque than the 4700 it'll be just fine from really 14-16t. The trick is how much of your lipo's you eat up and how long of a run time you need to have. The 4k geared a touch lower with a little boost will be more effecient with your lipo's, it will NOT stress out ever and you can still have the same top speed down the stright a higher KV motor has. You will have the benefit of the control a slightly lower kv motor has in technical areas of the track. The 4k w/ 14t on any normal indoor track is overkill as is, with 15t on some of the rare large indoor facilities (motorama etc where you run on the 1/8 scale track). Keep in mind the stock losi SCTE motor is a 2800kv and they run that sucker geared WAY up to generate the power and a RTR with just that won motorama last year vs all the 4600,4700 motors out there.. higher kv in the same exact motor doesn't always mean more power, in fact in these vehicles it just means you gear lower to get the same top speed because any more is just wasted and ends up with a DNF due to LVC or way more crashes because you are too hot in the technical parts of the track that just don't need it to be fast.

how is that if the lower kv motor has more torque? shouldn't the motor with less torque and less bottom end have the characteristic you describe (control in technical areas)?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default hot racing

anyone use any of hot racing products?
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
how is that if the lower kv motor has more torque? shouldn't the motor with less torque and less bottom end have the characteristic you describe (control in technical areas)?
These are 4x4, and typically pretty hard packed tracks, not sure unless you're some really loose stuff and traction is a prob what is the ?? Do you want less torque and bottom on your track? If that was more literal.. lower kv motors have more winds, more winds = stronger field = more torque. You can typically gear a lower kv motor much higher than a high kv motor (always a balance) due to this. Combine this with the fact that lower kv motors generate less heat and are more efficient (less amp draw). There is a huge balance here too low of kv without voltage = just plain slow, too high and you may get more speed but efficiency and amp draw goes up (limiter can help for those that use the rx8). Goal should normally be to nail the magic 30k rpm range for maximum efficiency in any setup (volts x kv). So much more to this, I'm sure someone can get way more technical w/ the details. Quickness in the low range and a nice range in your throttle = a great recipe to get through technical areas quick.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 12-22-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

what battery should i be running with a tekin rx8 and pro 4600 motor? 2s or 3s what c and mah also
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe that the 4600 is limited to 2s. I run 6800mah 70c batteries for racing with the same combo.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by iroczcec
what battery should i be running with a tekin rx8 and pro 4600 motor? 2s or 3s what c and mah also
No more than 2s lipo on that motor, 3s will destroy it in no time and you couldn't gear it low enough to stand a chance. If you want to run 3s lipo you need to be in the 2400-3200kv range, you could maybe sneek by with a 3800kv but that is very high rpm.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

2s will be plenty. No need for 3s.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

With what esc do you run boost with the 4000kv?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.