Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dtr View Post
My rear diff is starting clicking loudly on hard braking, as if the mesh between the ring and pinion gear is off. Are the necessary shims availablye without the aluminum gearbox inserts?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Razorbelly View Post
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Feint Motion View Post
Check your rear drive shaft pinion bearings. Thats causing the clicking noise. The bearing may be worn out, causing your drive shaft+pinion gear to wobble, making your ring and pinion gear "click" on hard braking and hard acceleration.
Originally Posted by Razorbelly View Post
Thanks guys, there really is more play in it than before, I'll change the bearings.

Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
mine did that for the longest time until i got the aluminum gearbox inserts... part of the problem is that the diff will twist a little under hard braking...
Thanks, if all else fails I'll go that route.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My brother finished up his MIP build today, truck runs really nice!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default mounting rpm tail lights on scte

installing rpm tail/brake lights on scteLosi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-imag0510.jpg

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-imag0512.jpg

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-imag0513.jpg

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-imag0515.jpg
Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Question : I've got my SCTE setup for our local smooth carpet track. (Low ride-height, stiff springs, Schumacher Mini Pin tires).
I can only go there once a week (and that's if I'm lucky), so improving my driving skills is kind of hard since I spend half my time there just getting back into it, let alone improving.
I'd like to improve my driving by practicing nearby on the streets / parking lots, but I don't want to change my setup - just my tires, preferably something that would get the same kind of grip as my carpet-tires.
Can you ("the internet people" ) recommend a specific tire for driving (not bashing) on the street ?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

One of the local tracked used to have asphalt, and folks there would get the HPI Trepador 'S' tires - which had great grip and lasted forever.

I suggest those.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Does anyone have experience with the Street Fighters?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nanoverse View Post
Everyone at our club has leaky diffs. Plz make a video or take pics of your building process and go through step by step. Would really appreciate it!
Before you start have a Losi Differential Seals w/Gasket & Hardware (Ten-T) [LOSB3568] for each differential. Shims wear out quickly and o-rings should not be re-used. When you open the housing for a rebuild assume the gasket is trash. Also, if its your first time, take photos of the diffs so you know how things should go back together. Be careful to, some diffs have very small spacers under the bearings and you do not want to lose these.

Not required, but if you get the RTR, carefully open the three differentials, before you run the car. You want to maintain the paper gasket, if you damage it, use the spare from LOSB3568. Disassemble the screws in the reverse order they were assembled as per the 8ight E 2.0 manual. Carefully place metal components in a container and use Dynamite Nitro Cleaner and a small plastic bristle brush to get all the grease or differential fluid out. Soaking is fine as well. Make sure it is totally dry before putting in diff oil or grease.

If you ran the car, before you glued the insert into the differential housing, purchase new differential housings, Losi Differential Housing & Hardware (Ten-T) [LOSB3542]. The original housing may be warped and the insert may not glue properly. If you buy new housings, keep the old parts as a backup, you may need them in an emergency.

One of the best tools for the rebuild is the 8ight E manual. The Losi video is helpful too, but doesn't give you the tips on RTV/Glue, etc, which are below.

8ight E 2.0 Manual Hyperlink

LOSI "HOW TO" Differential Rebuild Video Hyperlink

The differential housing metal insert (B3542 - in the diagram just above the gasket), looks like a hex on top of a cylinder, which is inserted into the differential housing B4542 on both the top and bottom. Before you glue the insert check the housing for flatness it may require some sanding. Ensure the insert is properly aligned or it won't go all the way in. Do not let it dry if its not all the way in or you will have improper distances between the gears and the differential will not operate properly. I've glued inserts with both CA medium glue and RTV. With RTV you have more time, but more mess, with CA glue you have to be FAST, if not you'll buy another differential housing, but there is less mess. RTV takes at least 1 hour and isn't totally cured for 24 hours. I glue housings before I rebuild them to be sure they're ready. I am testing Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High-Torque RTV for high vibration applications, but doubt if it is any better than regular RTV. The reality is that the glue will eventually leak past the o-rings slowly regardless, want you don't want is diff oil flowing around the insert or through the gasket due to warped differential housing surfaces.

Re-assemble the differential as per the manual/video, however there are a couple of things I do as well. I pack both O-Rings in the differential housing with Losi Shock O-Ring Grease [LOSA99208]. This keeps silicone displaced, prevents friction/heat that distorts the O-rings and prevents them from drying out, which all prevent leaks.

Prior to inserting the differential outdrive [LOSB3563] I coat the shaft as per the 8ight instructions, but I use ProBoat Marine Grease [PRB0101], but you can also use High-Pressure Black Grease [LOSA99203]. ProBoat is waterproof, high adhesion and doesn't fling like regular grease and I've been very happy with it on the ring and pinion gears. You can use the same grease as the Losi video whatever works.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Great post!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Thank you for sitting down and compiling these instructions for rebuilding the diff. That is why I like this site (and this hobby for that matter). There is always someone here that will take the time out of their day to help out another.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That would be a good post for the first page, nice work.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You're more motivated than me. I am way to lazy to make a post like that. Good job.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FastPete View Post
Anybody ever put 1/8 scale big bores on the truck? Any feedback?
Yup, i have them and love them so far and need to swap pistons and oils(shocks are stock internally) but have red front springs and silver rear. I dont have alot of money so i used these shocks since i already had them and didnt have to drop money down to do all the weight savings things and mine weighs about 6.8lbs RTR so the truck isnt too light for them to where some guys are running low 6's to high 5lb trucks and thats too light for these according to some but im very pleased with them so far

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Probably with enough tweaking, but having a D8 I found I preferred Losi shocks over the D8 shocks so much I put Losi 8 shocks on my Hot Bodies D8.
And once again....another using the 8ight shocks but some mods could be required so check this thread
Losi 8ight shocks on a SCTE
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The guys at Horizon gave me a lot of help when I first started and especially the SOCAL RC guys at their forum. I took a bunch of posts and consolidated everything so that others could enjoy their car. I have a blast with my SCTE, it drives great, its nearly bullet proof, Losi has great customer service, and I want new guys to have as much fun I as i do.

Hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.