Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcus3r
Question about the diff inserts. I have been gluing my inserts with good luck. Done it twice to all 3 diffs with not a drop leaking out.

Has anyone tried packing the insert with grease instead of gluing them? I want to try something different. Don't want to commit to gluing them. I'd like to have the ability to replace the inserts if I have to.

Don't make me be the first one to do this...

Thanks.
Maybe shoe goo or rtv?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cackswayn
Inserts come with new diff case...
I realize that. But at this point, I have more inserts than cases (on couple of occasions, hosed a case with ceased bearing, but insert survived). Also, this would eliminate the chance of gluing them improperly and causing the diff to feel notchy.

Anyways, just curious if anyone tried the grease packing the inserts instead of gluing them.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have used black rtv with good results so far. you will be able to remove them but the ibsert only come with new diff housing, so you will better off changing the whole thing anyway. so if gluing them works for you then i would say stick to what u know.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input.

Still want to try grease packing the insert, see if that can hold the oil in. I guess I will do it on the center diff, since that one is the quickest to rebuilt if this experiment fails.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the input.

Still want to try grease packing the insert, see if that can hold the oil in. I guess I will do it on the center diff, since that one is the quickest to rebuilt if this experiment fails.
Just use CA glue. It will break down in there eventually and the insert will come loose from the case. You're not committing it in there for all eternity. Worst case scenario is you dunk the diff case in acetone for a little while and then all the glue will be gone.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

RTV or any type of liquid gasket works better then CA. Last longer and more working time to get in in there right but in a pinch CA works.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Prophet

I dint glue my i just used green slime around the hex of the insert . I think if the outdrives just have small o-rings around the outdrive it would make the fitting and seal much better. I havnt had any leaky diffs.

As for the stock chassis heres what ive noticed that people do that will cause bending for one is not getting enough speed or not enough power to clear a big jump or nosedive over and over that will bend it. But i have had the center mount screws come loose in the alum part actually and moved my gear mesh big time burned up my center diff oil also.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
RTV or any type of liquid gasket works better then CA. Last longer and more working time to get in in there right but in a pinch CA works.
Where exactly are you applying liquid gasget? Is it on that thing groove around the insert?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default FRANK ROOTS SCTE SET UP FROM MIKES SCSD 2012

Frank raced the final race at Mikes Hobby Shop for the Short Course Showdown 2012. Here's his set up sheet. The track was low to medium grip and parts of the track were getting slightly rough.

Brian
Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
I BABIED my Stock Truck for the few first weeks I had it before our RCPro Nats last year. In Prep for the big race, What did I Discover.....Bent Chassis....Lol

Imo its not abuse or people being too hard on their vehicle but rather a really Soft Stock Chassis.
I bent my stock chassis as well, but it was after casing a jump real bad. There was a newly formed rut at the base of a big jump. I lost traction at the wrong time and landed right on the jump. Not a big deal, as I had already decided to upgrade the chassis.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mysupratoy94
Where exactly are you applying liquid gasget? Is it on that thing groove around the insert?
remove insert and apply a thin bead of RTV/liquid gasket under the shoulder of the insert. Press it in and wipe away the excess RTV/gasket maker.

Ive been using black RTV and have had no leaks since.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JRL 13
remove insert and apply a thin bead of RTV/liquid gasket under the shoulder of the insert. Press it in and wipe away the excess RTV/gasket maker.

Ive been using black RTV and have had no leaks since.
Got it, thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Question about the diff inserts. I have been gluing my inserts with good luck. Done it twice to all 3 diffs with not a drop leaking out.

Has anyone tried packing the insert with grease instead of gluing them? I want to try something different. Don't want to commit to gluing them. I'd like to have the ability to replace the inserts if I have to.

Don't make me be the first one to do this...

Thanks.
I loaded my diffs with Kyosho Diff Gear Grease without sealing the diff inserts and it is slowly working it's way out of all three diffs. But it will take months of race nights before the diffs are empty as it does not "flow" like the silicone diff oils. You can mix from among the available different weights offered to get the exact weight you want to run. For example if you mix equal parts of 3000 and 5000 you end up with 4000. Or, mix equal parts of 5000 and 10000 and you will have 7500.

I ordered mine from kenonhobby.com. Make sure you search for Kyosho Diff Gear Grease or you will find the products kyosho makes for ball diffs.

Don
Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mysupratoy94

Look at this picture. You see two inserts to the left side. These pop out of the diff case and the cap. You want to seal these into the diff case and cap with RTV. If you take the diffs apart you will find these just press out without much effort and it has been found these are the main leak path for these diffs. This simple "repair" fixes most leaky diffs and is pretty easy to do.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dday
I loaded my diffs with Kyosho Diff Gear Grease without sealing the diff inserts and it is slowly working it's way out of all three diffs. But it will take months of race nights before the diffs are empty as it does not "flow" like the silicone diff oils. You can mix from among the available different weights offered to get the exact weight you want to run. For example if you mix equal parts of 3000 and 5000 you end up with 4000. Or, mix equal parts of 5000 and 10000 and you will have 7500.

I ordered mine from kenonhobby.com. Make sure you search for Kyosho Diff Gear Grease or you will find the products kyosho makes for ball diffs.

Don
Interesting. So, sounds like what I was thinking will probably not work - use grease to seat the inserts, and use oil to fill. The oil will eventually make its way out, especially after it mixes with the grease and thins it out.

Well, back to gluing. I have always used CA glue. I will try the RTV. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.