Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 AM
  #39301  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Suteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toowoomba AUS
Posts: 481
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TimMo846 View Post
It's not the wheel off set or tires at all that are unusual. The reason behind having to have a certain wheel is that the front arms are wide will hit a normal wheel around the pin area. What a lot of people do, is dremel out the webbing on the inside of the front wheels to allow clearance. Here's a video from Proline that shows how to grind the wheel down some.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
.
AKA Enduro's will fit the stock wheels(rims) if you remove the Eclipse tires.
The problem I have it that my very first race is this Sunday and there are no hobby stores near me and the online ones I do use, would have to order them in so there is no way I would have them in time.

The only place I can get tires before the weekend was from some one that sells tires and spares at the track itself. He has tires, but no rims that are specific for the SCTE, the only rims he had were the AKA Cyclone rims but they weren't the SCTE specific and I wasn't sure what the offset is (I take it SCTE needs 0 offset?).

So basically I was boned.

I ended up getting some AKA City Blocks in SS (track has loose marbles on the surface in areas, but on the infield it's very hard dirt with a little bit of dust). So I currently have the stock SCTE wheels taking an acetone bath as I type this and I'll fit the AKA City Blocks on them.

There is next to no short course class at the track, it's mainly a few younger drivers that go in it and they run 4WD and 2WD, stock and modified, so I could basically end up in a field with only 1 guy in my actual class. So I'm not hugely concerned about great performance as it's not an competitive class. Next meet should be a lot more short course as it's an interclub round but I will soon get a 1/8 buggy as that is the major class everyone runs.

So yeh, I just wanted something to get me by as my standard tires that came with the truck are now all but bald.
Suteki is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 AM
  #39302  
Tech Addict
 
nanoverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 650
Default

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Only thing with bullets on a battery is you HAVE to make sure they never touch. The battery will not be happy if you short the plugs. There are ways to do this but this is typcially why you would see another type of plug on these. I would go with a deans ultra plug on any battery with leads, personally.
The 4-poles and other systems we have now draw max amperages beyond what deans is made for. A friend who is in designing electronics looked at them and said that it's safer to use the connectors that are round and where the whole surface leads electricity better like EC5, XT90 or equivalent.

Pre tinning the wires and connectors of course helps with avoiding cold solder joints.
nanoverse is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 AM
  #39303  
Tech Addict
 
nanoverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 650
Default

Originally Posted by RC_Tactical View Post
In Adam's vid (yes it's for 1/8 scale but eerily similar to SCTE) he mentions that because the tolerances are so tight on the gears and housing vary that in his experience he finds eliminating the tiny shims (keeping the blocks) gives freer diff action. After struggling to get a clean mesh after three tries with all new parts, I removed the tiny shims and voila... Perfect. Just something to keep in mind if you keep getting a bind or overly tight diff after reassembly.
Sometimes the case is crooked but usually if it binds or isnt butter smooth is because of the metal inserts not properly seated/glued. If you dont glue them the force you use to push down screwing the head on might dislocate the inserts and result in a bad mesh. Rarely the gears just dont mesh especially if you have the older ones which are a bit lower.

The shims get chewed up pretty fast and maybe leaving them out works and the inserts dont get sanded down without the shims.
nanoverse is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 AM
  #39304  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (17)
 
Nick@Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central IN
Posts: 385
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nanoverse View Post
The 4-poles and other systems we have now draw max amperages beyond what deans is made for. A friend who is in designing electronics looked at them and said that it's safer to use the connectors that are round and where the whole surface leads electricity better like EC5, XT90 or equivalent.

Pre tinning the wires and connectors of course helps with avoiding cold solder joints.
WE are experiencing very warm wires with Deans and originally I liked them - we have 12 cars and 30 batteries and unfortunately will have to change all of the connectors - also the deans we have to continually bend the pins for better connection - we are in search of the best connector.
Nick@Jet is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 04:21 AM
  #39305  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Gene158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 634
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
WE are experiencing very warm wires with Deans and originally I liked them - we have 12 cars and 30 batteries and unfortunately will have to change all of the connectors - also the deans we have to continually bend the pins for better connection - we are in search of the best connector.
I don't have any experience with deans but I do use ec5's and I really like them.
Gene158 is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM
  #39306  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (121)
 
ChrisAttebery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 2,258
Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default

For the conditions you're describing the stock tires would actually work pretty well.

Originally Posted by Suteki View Post
The problem I have it that my very first race is this Sunday and there are no hobby stores near me and the online ones I do use, would have to order them in so there is no way I would have them in time.

The only place I can get tires before the weekend was from some one that sells tires and spares at the track itself. He has tires, but no rims that are specific for the SCTE, the only rims he had were the AKA Cyclone rims but they weren't the SCTE specific and I wasn't sure what the offset is (I take it SCTE needs 0 offset?).

So basically I was boned.

I ended up getting some AKA City Blocks in SS (track has loose marbles on the surface in areas, but on the infield it's very hard dirt with a little bit of dust). So I currently have the stock SCTE wheels taking an acetone bath as I type this and I'll fit the AKA City Blocks on them.

There is next to no short course class at the track, it's mainly a few younger drivers that go in it and they run 4WD and 2WD, stock and modified, so I could basically end up in a field with only 1 guy in my actual class. So I'm not hugely concerned about great performance as it's not an competitive class. Next meet should be a lot more short course as it's an interclub round but I will soon get a 1/8 buggy as that is the major class everyone runs.

So yeh, I just wanted something to get me by as my standard tires that came with the truck are now all but bald.
ChrisAttebery is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 AM
  #39307  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
TimMo846's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 736
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
For the conditions you're describing the stock tires would actually work pretty well.
I've actually noticed the stock tires hook up just about on any surface pretty good.
TimMo846 is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 AM
  #39308  
Tech Master
iTrader: (55)
 
kjohnsiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: auburn, wa
Posts: 1,556
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

The only problem with the stock tires and a fast motor is that you get the balloon effect...
kjohnsiii is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM
  #39309  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (33)
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Blackfoot Idaho.
Posts: 3,426
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Boil the stock tires off the rims and put some good molded inserts in them. They are great practice or loose track tires and last a long time. The glue losi uses is pretty crappy and comes off a lot easier than most so it's easy to do.
rcgod is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM
  #39310  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
TimMo846's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 736
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Boil the stock tires off the rims and put some good molded inserts in them. They are great practice or loose track tires and last a long time. The glue losi uses is pretty crappy and comes off a lot easier than most so it's easy to do.
heads up on this method, be very careful when you pull them out of the water not to warp the wheels. I've made this mistake a few times before. The plastic tends to be a little soft. Other than that, a good method.
TimMo846 is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM
  #39311  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

where can i find a good setup for and out door 1/8th track with med bit
pballer2777 is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM
  #39312  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (121)
 
ChrisAttebery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 2,258
Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default

This is great to start with:

http://losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSB0...ford-02_12.pdf

Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
where can i find a good setup for and out door 1/8th track with med bit
ChrisAttebery is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM
  #39313  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
it will b a good base setup even tho it was for a indoor track?
pballer2777 is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM
  #39314  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (121)
 
ChrisAttebery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 2,258
Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default

Yes. Just find out which tires work at your track.


Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
it will b a good base setup even tho it was for a indoor track?
ChrisAttebery is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM
  #39315  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
Yes. Just find out which tires work at your track.
awsome thank u
pballer2777 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.