Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Casper,Do you think Arron lane's set up is close for med bite outdoor tracks? OR is there something you see that would be better? Thanks,
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default do i need a capacitor for my tekin system im runnin?

so im putting my truck together to race for the first time this week and i was informed i might need a glitch capacitor for my car. 1st off i have been out of racing for so long i dont even know what a capacitor is and what the purpose of it and second i have no clue which one to get if do need one and how to hook it up.

so here is what im running

running the tekin rx8 esc, tekin pro 4 redline motor 4600kv, spektrum dx3r pro radio, spektrum 3100 receiver, and a Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital steering Servo-savsc1258tg. i was told because of my servo i would need it. again i have no clue what it is and if i do need it. all the help i can get would be appreciated! thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Besides your radio/receiver, we are running the exact same set up. I have the Futaba system in mine. And yes, after the initial build, mine too was glitching like crazy. The Savox servos are power hungry, but you will learn to love 'em

Fortunately, a glitch buster is cheap, easy to install and does the trick. Your local hobby store should have them. They are right around $7 and plug into any open port on your receiver. Here is a photo of what they look like:

The servo will draw so much power through the receiver that the receiver itself will "brown out" (basically shut down for a moment). The capacitor holds a tiny bit of charge to help power the receiver during these peak power usages. You'll be surprised at just how smooth your steering is once you install it.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benicetofatkids View Post
so im putting my truck together to race for the first time this week and i was informed i might need a glitch capacitor for my car. 1st off i have been out of racing for so long i dont even know what a capacitor is and what the purpose of it and second i have no clue which one to get if do need one and how to hook it up.

running the tekin rx8 esc, tekin pro 4 redline motor 4600kv, spektrum dx3r pro radio, spektrum 3100 receiver, and a Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital steering Servo-savsc1258tg. i was told because of my servo i would need it. again i have no clue what it is and if i do need it. all the help i can get would be appreciated! thanks!
Seems the issue is the power draw of the Savox servo and receiver brownout like issues from various ESC BECs. Some ESCs have more consistent/higher rated internal BECS and may eliminate the problem before it rears it's head. However, the issue has been most prevalent with Spektrum gear. Since you have Spektrum and Savox, I think that's why they were saying you need the cap (or ideally, a BEC). But I do notice you have the SR3100 receiver which is DSM2. Most of the people I saw with issues had the SR300 receiver (DSM/DSM1). The DSM2 style receivers seem to be much more tolerant so you may be OK.

I ended up running Savox with SR3100 just fine in my SCTE. However, in my 8ight with the same setup I couldn't get by even using a cap. I didn't want to run an external BEC so I ditched Savox and went with a less power hungry servo (Hitec).

So - if the capacitor doesn't work, you might be looking at an external BEC. Start cheap and easy first - just try it. Then if it doesn't work throw a cap at it (95% chance that someone has one at the track lying around for you to try). And then if that fails, the external BEC should solve it for sure.

Tekin/Randy Pike pops in every so often when people have issues and are running Tekin gear. I think he was instructing someone previously on installing a BEC with a Tekin ESC (IE: what ESC wires to disconnect at the receiver). You might want to search his name on this thread for more information (note this is not a Tekin issue, but Tekin could help solve it).
Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does anyone have a part number for the the rear hing pin holder bolt. I think it's 5-40x1-3/4 but I can't find that size at amain and don't see a part number in the exploded view.

Do the bolts in this kit seem janky to anyone else?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jay5280 View Post
Does anyone have a part number for the the rear hing pin holder bolt. I think it's 5-40x1-3/4 but I can't find that size at amain and don't see a part number in the exploded view.

Do the bolts in this kit seem janky to anyone else?
That is weird!!!! Looked in my manual and i couldn't find it either. The losi manual is all screwed up. Some of the part numbers aren't even there.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21 View Post
That is weird!!!! Looked in my manual and i couldn't find it either. The losi manual is all screwed up. Some of the part numbers aren't even there.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA6198

Looking through the parts and accessories tab n the cars page on Losi helps sometimes in finding things.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casper View Post

Looking through the parts and accessories tab n the cars page on Losi helps sometimes in finding things.
Losi really should have put some more time in revising and editing their scte manuals before releasing them. I've found at least 5 parts that have no number in the physical manual.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper View Post

Thanks Casper u the man!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer View Post

17.5 blinky isn't about speed, it's about competitiveness. If you wanted speed you should have moved into mod class.
Yeah, but you have to have some speed. It seems like 17.5 was designed for smaller vehicles, not heavier SCT's. I've always felt that 13.5 should be "stock" for SCT's.

I did move into "mod", I went into 4wd with the SCTE and couldn't be happier. This is one great truck.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benicetofatkids View Post

I ran the same thing.. I agree with what they all said. just remember to set your end points so the servo doesn't bind at full turn, that's the most problematic issue with any servo adjustments.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 230 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329 View Post
Yeah, but you have to have some speed. It seems like 17.5 was designed for smaller vehicles, not heavier SCT's. I've always felt that 13.5 should be "stock" for SCT's.

I did move into "mod", I went into 4wd with the SCTE and couldn't be happier. This is one great truck.
Speed is relative. On a wide open track I can see where 17.5 would be considered slow. On a track with no real straightaways, lap times are going to be very similar with mod class. Indoor vs. outdoor comes into play there also. Loose dirt is the great equalizer!

We have 2 of those also and I will agree with ya, great trucks!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I use an RX8/4600 combo with the 1258TG and a Futaba 4PL and whatever RX they typically come with. No glitches what so ever.

My son run's the RS/17.5 in his XXX-SCT with 1258TG and Futaba 4PL and no glitching there either.

Steering endpoints set on both obviously. I usually set them to where they just lock, then add a few more %.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
I use an RX8/4600 combo with the 1258TG and a Futaba 4PL and whatever RX they typically come with. No glitches what so ever.

My son run's the RS/17.5 in his XXX-SCT with 1258TG and Futaba 4PL and no glitching there either.

Steering endpoints set on both obviously. I usually set them to where they just lock, then add a few more %.
Thats because you used a good radio and not a brown-out prone spektrum.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

is this what i need? would this do the trick or do i need a bigger one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novak-5626-G...ht_2447wt_1166

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.