Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer View Post
Hadn't thought of it being the temp gun....just checked my skin temp at 90-92 after walking to the trailer to get the temp gun. Gonna guess that's low if anything.
I always try to grab someone elses temp gun if mine is reading too high. I will try 3 or 4 if I can just to see an average of them all. Where at in Ohio are you? I drove up to Batavia to race at GoFastrc this Saturday. Nice track, great people there too.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Easiest thing to do is grab a temp gun from a fellow racer and compare the results!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 230 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DanielHolloway View Post
I always try to grab someone elses temp gun if mine is reading too high. I will try 3 or 4 if I can just to see an average of them all. Where at in Ohio are you? I drove up to Batavia to race at GoFastrc this Saturday. Nice track, great people there too.
I'm in Wapakoneta, another 2 hours north of Batavia or so. I haven't been there yet as we like to race outdoors once the weather breaks in the spring. We won't go back to indoor racing until October/November.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Easiest thing to do is grab a temp gun from a fellow racer and compare the results!
Pretty sure it's not the temp gun anyway. I heard my son hollar ouch several times on Sunday when he accidently touched the motor can after his heat race...LOL.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

I'm in Wapakoneta, another 2 hours north of Batavia or so. I haven't been there yet as we like to race outdoors once the weather breaks in the spring. We won't go back to indoor racing until October/November.
I can totally understand that. I'm down in Huntington,WV and don't really like heading indoors during the summer, but we had rain since Thurs and we had to race somewhere! Couldn't fight off the addiction. We are having a big race August 18 at our outdoor track. Come check it out. it's tcrcracing.com and click on the forum button on the left for some more info. Should have a really good class of 4wd sct. That's getting to be our biggest class on the weekends. Hope you come check it out.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DanielHolloway View Post
I can totally understand that. I'm down in Huntington,WV and don't really like heading indoors during the summer, but we had rain since Thurs and we had to race somewhere! Couldn't fight off the addiction. We are having a big race August 18 at our outdoor track. Come check it out. it's tcrcracing.com and click on the forum button on the left for some more info. Should have a really good class of 4wd sct. That's getting to be our biggest class on the weekends. Hope you come check it out.
Thanks for the offer but we're racing at Blue Groove R/C Raceway in Urbana OH that weekend. I built my own track so I didn't have to travel to race and now find myself traveling further then before.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Casper/Hacker/All -

Recently purchased a new SCTE. Been getting accustomed to it, changing out a few parts (bleeder caps, HA shock, etc).

I hear the kit comes with same grease in all 3 diffs. If so, what is the weight (if it has a rating)? If I weren't to switch it out initially, what is the expected durability? Also, is the track performance significantly better with rated oils (ie. 5/5/3)vs stock?

Also, what are folks using for a pinion? I purchased an AE mod1 and it makes me nervous, with the threads maybe touching 25% of the spur gear? Partly due to the fact of the motor adapter, and partly the design of the Sonic motor casing. I would prefer a pinion which gets more teeth on the spur. Looks like the Robinson pinion might have a better surface area.

Thx!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by skrichter View Post
Casper/Hacker/All -

Recently purchased a new SCTE. Been getting accustomed to it, changing out a few parts (bleeder caps, HA shock, etc).

I hear the kit comes with same grease in all 3 diffs. If so, what is the weight (if it has a rating)? If I weren't to switch it out initially, what is the expected durability? Also, is the track performance significantly better with rated oils (ie. 5/5/3)vs stock?

Also, what are folks using for a pinion? I purchased an AE mod1 and it makes me nervous, with the threads maybe touching 25% of the spur gear? Partly due to the fact of the motor adapter, and partly the design of the Sonic motor casing. I would prefer a pinion which gets more teeth on the spur. Looks like the Robinson pinion might have a better surface area.

Thx!
The stock grease really does not have a oil rating. Grease tends to work a little different in how it heats up and breaks down during a run. Some guys like it a lot others choose to have the freedome to tune and go oil.

You should be able to get nearly if not full tooth engagement with the spur. 25% is not enough to make me comfortable at all that is for sure. Can you flip the gear around? (pinion that is).
Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

The stock grease really does not have a oil rating. Grease tends to work a little different in how it heats up and breaks down during a run. Some guys like it a lot others choose to have the freedome to tune and go oil.

You should be able to get nearly if not full tooth engagement with the spur. 25% is not enough to make me comfortable at all that is for sure. Can you flip the gear around? (pinion that is).
Flipping the pinion around, where the teeth are closer to the motor, is actually worse. The set screw is too far off the shaft...

I think the main problem is where the adapter meets the end of the Sonic can. There is a lip, which causes the adapter to not sit flush on the end of the motor can. I guess I could try to dremel out the end of the adapter bigger, so it would sit over that edge of the motor can. I'm surprised more folks who have Sonic motors haven't noticed this...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Flipping the pinion around, where the teeth are closer to the motor, is actually worse. The set screw is too far off the shaft...

I think the main problem is where the adapter meets the end of the Sonic can. There is a lip, which causes the adapter to not sit flush on the end of the motor can. I guess I could try to dremel out the end of the adapter bigger, so it would sit over that edge of the motor can. I'm surprised more folks who have Sonic motors haven't noticed this...

This "ring" does not fit in the motor mount for the SCTE?

I did not even know Reedy made the 550 motors to be honest. Most everyone has jumped on the 4 pole 540 wagon.

I don't see why the pinon would not fit on still though. You have to kind of access the pinion through the "slot" in the motor mount. You can't get it from directly above but kind of through the side of the truck. If that makes any sense. You can get the pinon on much further this way.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j_kinz View Post
What esc you got, I've got an rx-8 w/ current limiter set at 70. I'll tell you whats really bad is when I'm not racing off-road I race it on a banked dirt oval. It's pretty much 5min of non stop full throttle with just a quick blip in the turns. Running the same gearing I'll get 5 1/2 maybe 6 min before it hits cut off. Motor temps was about 190 too until I put the FTW fan on it, came off at 148 with outdoor temp of 106. Racing like that can be hard on equipment but man its fun drifting it around the corners.
I'm using the hobbywing 150 amp c-xerun esc. I've heard it really was made for higher cell counts. The esc acts up using my 2s nanotec, no reverse and cuts off voltage way higher than i program it to. Really wish i would have gotten the sct-pro. If anyone wants to trade pm me.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

This "ring" does not fit in the motor mount for the SCTE?

I did not even know Reedy made the 550 motors to be honest. Most everyone has jumped on the 4 pole 540 wagon.

I don't see why the pinon would not fit on still though. You have to kind of access the pinion through the "slot" in the motor mount. You can't get it from directly above but kind of through the side of the truck. If that makes any sense. You can get the pinon on much further this way.
Exactly right. the ring doesn't fit in the motor mount. I.e. you cannot screw it down to be flush with the backside of the motor. There is about a 1-2mm gap to where the motor mount sits on the Reedy.

I'm assuming the only way to get it flush is to drill the hole bigger on the motor mount?

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Exactly right. the ring doesn't fit in the motor mount. I.e. you cannot screw it down to be flush with the backside of the motor. There is about a 1-2mm gap to where the motor mount sits on the Reedy.

I'm assuming the only way to get it flush is to drill the hole bigger on the motor mount?

Suggestions appreciated.
Can you take the motor apart and grind down the lip on the can until it is flush?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A fever of 130 and he could bypass the ER!

I found a dirty sensor will give bad readings as well. A q-tip with a little alchol to clean the sensor is a good tip everyonce in a while as well.

X2 If the All seeing Eye is Crusty with Month's of Pitbox dust, You can never expect it to read correctly. I have a Small Brush in a Zip loc in my pit bag for Cleaning my gun and that's it.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Hadn't thought of it being the temp gun....just checked my skin temp at 90-92 after walking to the trailer to get the temp gun. Gonna guess that's low if anything.
Also - you might just be dead. How do you look in the mirror?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.