Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Rookie

So you guys running the 4600Kv motors (Tenshock/Toro mainly) are you using any timing? I have mine set to 0 at the moment.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nathanio View Post
So you guys running the 4600Kv motors (Tenshock/Toro mainly) are you using any timing? I have mine set to 0 at the moment.
All you're going to get with advanced timing on a 4 pole is higher temps with little to no performance gain. Keep it at 0.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Bit the bullet!!

I've bitten the bullet & just ordered an SCTE after trying everything with the FT SC10 4x4 & talking to lots of other racers. the sc10 has always been to twichy & tail happy no matter what parts or setup i throw at it..
Ordered the roller, Kingheadz chassis & TLR tuning kit. Will run my current electrics - Tekin pro4 4600 & RX8, Ace 1015 servo with 6000 65C lipos.

Cant wait for it to turn up & see the difference. may have a ft sc10 for sale very soon LOL
Old 06-17-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
For those wanting to run 1/8 shocks, I have the ve8 shocks (same size front,rear) and you need the following:
1) snr front taller tower
2) hot bodies d8 longer shock ends
3) losi 8 buggy front spring set (better range than the hot bodies springs)

It all fits together well. The problem with not running the taller front tower is the shocks bottom out well before the chassis, and you have to run droop screws.

The ve8 shocks will add 2oz more to your truck (2oz total for all 4shocks)

I run the 1.4 pistons in the front, and the 1.3 in the back, with 35wt/30wt oil front/rear.

The total cost of the conversion is about $90 + losi 8 springs.
Thanks alot for this info, Ill probably try to do this. But the question would be, is this mainly for more of an outdoor, longer/bigger track big jump setup or will help indoors?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by vw addict View Post
What are you are using as a steering servo? I am running a Savox 1267 sg, but I am getting sick of it's power consumption and glitching, even with an external BEC. I want something I can run with my RX8 without the Castle BEC. And affordable is always a good thing....
hitec 985 is plenty good for this truck
Old 06-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21 View Post
Thanks for the link. What kind of temps are you guys getting with the 4000 Kv? Wonder how the pro4 HD 550 can will stack up against the hobywings when it comes out. Don't know if it's my esc or my motor but, my tenshock sc401 4600 just doesn't seem to have the scoot to get over the larger jumps at my track. My track buddies tell me i've got more than enough power, but i just feel like it's not what it was like before. Btw i'm also using a hobbywing 150 xerun esc.
As I don't recommend using ESC timing for these motors, I suggest playing with current limit and gearing. Dropping the current limit can really help put power to the ground If you run on a loose track (assuming you are using good tires for your track).
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ironwolf1974 View Post
Thanks alot for this info, Ill probably try to do this. But the question would be, is this mainly for more of an outdoor, longer/bigger track big jump setup or will help indoors?
So not needed... I race w/ stock shocks on a large outdoor track w/ motoxross style jumps with no issues at all. The stock shocks are designed for the truck and can easily supply the needed dampening and performance. If you just like spending money and fooling around fine, but bigger shocks won't reduce even a fraction of a second to your lap times. I have 8ight shocks my my 810e, they are fine... but they do like those others add weight and force you to buy the larger shock towers that DO break easier or do the 8ight droop pad mod (best choice imo) in order to keep the appropriate droop on the vehicle.

Sorry enough talk, I just wanted to make sure people knew this wasn't a mod that was going to help w/ lap times.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zebinc View Post
I've bitten the bullet & just ordered an SCTE after trying everything with the FT SC10 4x4 & talking to lots of other racers. the sc10 has always been to twichy & tail happy no matter what parts or setup i throw at it..
Ordered the roller, Kingheadz chassis & TLR tuning kit. Will run my current electrics - Tekin pro4 4600 & RX8, Ace 1015 servo with 6000 65C lipos.

Cant wait for it to turn up & see the difference. may have a ft sc10 for sale very soon LOL
What brand battery do you run...my gens ace are getting hot and puffing at 40c and set on 3 or 4 for punch??

Also, does anyone think dropping to a 13 or even 12t pinion would help with the hot batteries even tho right now motor ran at 160* and esc was 110* and it was 90* ...I kno gearing helps control motor/esc temps but didn't kno if it would help with the battery/battery/esc leads being hot/warm to
Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TCCustoms View Post
What brand battery do you run...my gens ace are getting hot and puffing at 40c and set on 3 or 4 for punch??

Also, does anyone think dropping to a 13 or even 12t pinion would help with the hot batteries even tho right now motor ran at 160* and esc was 110* and it was 90* ...I kno gearing helps control motor/esc temps but didn't kno if it would help with the battery/battery/esc leads being hot/warm to
Snag the nano-tech's, the 6600's are way better than the gens ace packs.. other things to do is also become smoother on the throttle, "nitro" fingers constantly spike the system and will heat it up that much faster. You are correct though gearing can reduce lipo temps, also just reducing the throttle epa if you happen to like the current gearing. Look at any boosts or turbo's eliminate as much as you can to help as well.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nathanio View Post
Are you planning on doin the 17mm conversion on the SCTE cuz i wouldnt suggest it...i still have the 810 17mm hexes still on from the conversion and they stick out so much that i have the body lifted up for clearance til i buy losi SC rims/tires. But a few(prolly quite a few as quick as we go through pages on this thread) there was a talk about what rims would fit this and they said slash4x4 in a pinch and thats what i have so would be excited to try mine out here soon to compare widths with the 1/8 hexes

Originally Posted by Ironwolf1974 View Post
I did it as just an upgrade with no big reasons why other than i saw other people doin it on the slash4x4 forum with nuibe mounts so i figured what the heck...after looking i decided to take my 810/scte shocks off and put them on my slash as an upgrade and dropped the 8ight shocks on the 810 with the mounts.

Now that i have converted the 810 to SCTE the truck weights 7.2 lbs with all the electronics and we have huge jumps made of 55 gal drums on their side so i do like the larger shocks and so far im pretty happy with the way it handles even with 1/8 rims and tires.

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
Snag the nano-tech's, the 6600's are way better than the gens ace packs.. other things to do is also become smoother on the throttle, "nitro" fingers constantly spike the system and will heat it up that much faster. You are correct though gearing can reduce lipo temps, also just reducing the throttle epa if you happen to like the current gearing. Look at any boosts or turbo's eliminate as much as you can to help as well.
Man, i keep seeing people smoking those batteries tho and it freaks me out cuz i dont want my rig on fire or waste a battery and im not a fan of those bullet connectors and would have to buy better plugs for just those batteries but will admit that i think i do have a bit of "nitro finger" as you call it and thats kinda funny since i knew exactly what you were talking about when you said it, lol. GUN IT AND GO....lol
Old 06-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TCCustoms View Post

Man, i keep seeing people smoking those batteries tho and it freaks me out cuz i dont want my rig on fire or waste a battery and im not a fan of those bullet connectors and would have to buy better plugs for just those batteries but will admit that i think i do have a bit of "nitro finger" as you call it and thats kinda funny since i knew exactly what you were talking about when you said it, lol. GUN IT AND GO....lol
I don't have a large sample to speak from but the one 6600 I did have ran great,, I have two more that I expect asap.. we'll see if anything changes as far as quality and ability. As it stands the 6600 nt is the closest thing I've found to my orion carbon pro pack and at less than 1/2 the price I figured it was worth a few more packs to see if they are a worthy replacement.

PS if LVC is set too low you will also poof packs, another item to be careful on, out bashing there is just no need to be at the bottom so unless you are pushing a 10min main set LVC up a touch.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

it was on 3.2 but they said to change the setting to customs and go 6.1 and that takes out some glitches...

When on 3.2 my batteries showed atleast 3.5 or higher when it cut and usually when it did that i got the red/green blinking lights which i dont think is LVC but pack had swelled so i took it out either way
Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Anyone use a body wrap on this truck? I don't crash often but just wondering how they hold up? Any pictures of wrapped bodies that have been used/abused? I've had custom paint jobs but was thinking of just ordering a wrap for my next one.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

i havent seen one done on the SCTE but saw the harts n huntington or whatever its called on a slash 2wd jconcepts body and it didnt look bad...the body was done in red and the sticker was white n black so the red kinda made it stand out. That was a upgraderc one...and personally i would rather have a crap paint job than the stickers on the outside becuz if one edge catches something you'll have to trim becuz as any sticker has it, once it comes up it will never stick again...But on the other hand upgrade does have a few neat designs i like that i would like to try on my remote but cant for my charger since they dont make one for the onyx 245
Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default Running 1/8 shocks

I forgot to mention 1 more thing, if you will be using the 1/8 shocks, mount the shock bottoms behind the rear arms. Putting them into the stock location inside the arm puts an awkward angle on the shock.

For those that think the stock shocks are fine, I have run them a lot and I didn't put on 1/8 shocks because I wanted to spend extra money. On tighter indoor tracks, the scte does not steer as well as a Durango desc410. To get it to steer well, you have to run a softer front suspension. The stock shocks are not very smooth and have a lot of friction.

I posted what I run because I kept reading that you can run losi 8 shocks with droop limiters and the stock towers. This will result in too little chassis down travel. Just because something fits doesn't mean it works well.

To all others, please run whatever you want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.