Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SEF View Post
Had a good weekend in short course taking the TQ and win at race 2 of the TLR series at Revelation Raceway (large 1/8 scale track with 200 ft straight).

They allow 3s and any motor, so I was using a 2650 motor and a Thunder Power 3800mah 50C battery and I made a 10 minute main and motor came off at 130 with batteries and esc barely warm.

The part that made driving easier was mounting some big bore shocks to my SCTE. I mounted some Hot Bodies shocks which are more durable than stock, have more spring options, and the damping feels much better. Great for bumpy tracks with large jumps.

The problem with mounting large 1/8 scale shocks is that you don't get full travel up front. The shock bottoms out before the chassis does.

So I had Steve over at SNR graphite http://www.snrgraphite.com/ make some custom towers for me. These towers have raised front shock mounting holes. If you don't know, SNR makes the best towers for the Jammin (just search the Jammin thread). The towers I have are one piece towers and mounts which use the Jammin body mounts. Steve also makes towers that can use the stock body mount, and his towers also have the stock shock mounts if you want to use the stock shocks.

Nope, not sponsored, SNR just makes really nice stuff. PM snrscion for more info.

I'll try to post up some better pics since the quality of these aren't so great.

And yes, those are both the long and short ackerman bars in carbon.

Why do you say the HB shocks are more "durable" then the stock shocks. The stock shocks have been steller so far. Yeah a little limited on springs but there is a piston back out for them. They don't leak and are 12mm so they damp really well. Just curious if you actually had a problem wth the stock shocks or just felt the need to change them.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Owl
Tech Adept

Seems like the Tekin 4.5 runs a little hot in this truck, and a 14t works best for it.

Also depends on what track you are trying to make 10 minutes on.

I've been running on 3s, and making 10 minutes isn't a problem. On 2s, you will have to get the right motor and battery combo with the right track conditions to make 10+ minutes. On 2s, I've hit cutoff right at the 10 minute mark with a Novak 4.5, Tekin RX8 esc with some limiting, and a 5600 50c battery.
I am using 2S, which I am told anything larger isn't ROAR legal. I run on a large indoor track average lap times in the 28-30 second range.

14T eh? Have you tried a 15+? I feel the truck is already slow with the 15
Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys if runtime is an issue take a serious look at your total package. The esc, motor and battery all play a part here.

If the motor is running hot check your drivetrain for free'ness and make sure your gear mesh isn't too tight.

While not all batteries are created equaly just because you're is a "6000mah" for example doesn't mean you're getting it all. Pay attention to how much mah your charger is putting back into the battery.

Also if you're using the Rx8 esc add some current limiter. Try 80 to start. I doubt you'll notice it at all speed wise but your motor temps will drop and your runtime will go up.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Why do you say the HB shocks are more "durable" then the stock shocks. The stock shocks have been steller so far. Yeah a little limited on springs but there is a piston back out for them. They don't leak and are 12mm so they damp really well. Just curious if you actually had a problem wth the stock shocks or just felt the need to change them.
Just cracked a plastic cap and also saw a shock end pull out on another racers shock. Instead of buying the metal caps, I decided to try and bolt on the HB shocks since they were already in my toolbox. And like you said, I wanted some stiffer springs up front, and I haven't had any luck finding the gold springs, so since I have a bunch of 16mm springs, it made it easy to adjust the springs. I also put a small bend in the stock towers, so I wanted to change out the towers.

But yes, I've said this in another post, this truck is great stock, and I wouldn't change anything out until I broke something.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sir miles View Post
this is my temporary fix to my rear bumper until RPM comes up with a beefier bumper for Losi TEN SCTE

Thanks for the pics, that a good idea, I'll use my thinner zip-ties.
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
Well my CC1410 motor (3800kv) is a real power house, smaller and has as much power as the 4.5s at my track and runs 130* after 6 minute heats geared with a 15 tooth. And I am putting back 2800mah back in my packs.

All these problems with heat and running hot, my castle products do not.
+1000

Originally Posted by b121774 View Post
Seems to me that the other pin will keep it centered and vise versa because of the slot in the middle. Does that make sense? As long as the cut groove is exactly 3mm. So I don't see a need for shims as 1/2mm and each side is miniscule(did I spell that right)?
Yes, the slot in the middle will keep it centered so no need to worry about it being 1mm short or any reasons to need shimming.

The problem with mounting large 1/8 scale shocks is that you don't get full travel up front. The shock bottoms out before the chassis does.

So I had Steve over at SNR graphite http://www.snrgraphite.com/ make some custom towers for me. These towers have raised front shock mounting holes. If you don't know, SNR makes the best towers for the Jammin (just search the Jammin thread). The towers I have are one piece towers and mounts which use the Jammin body mounts. Steve also makes towers that can use the stock body mount, and his towers also have the stock shock mounts if you want to use the stock shocks.
How much are the holes farther up on the shock towers and does the rear tower have the upper and lower holes? (measurement of the difference between the same holes on the y-axis)
I'm really interested in this and was my plan to make a set of towers that will allow me to mount up my 8 2.0B shocks which is the proper way of mounting 1/8 scale shocks (for a couple of reasons, droop, travel, preload) but if someone makes them I'll be glad to just buy them and save myself the time.
Also, from the pics the carbon looks textured or is it gloss?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post

How much are the holes farther up on the shock towers and does the rear tower have the upper and lower holes? (measurement of the difference between the same holes on the y-axis)
I'm really interested in this and was my plan to make a set of towers that will allow me to mount up my 8 2.0B shocks which is the proper way of mounting 1/8 scale shocks (for a couple of reasons, droop, travel, preload) but if someone makes them I'll be glad to just buy them and save myself the time.
Also, from the pics the carbon looks textured or is it gloss?
The rear is stock geometry. I've had no problems with getting full travel or setting droop for the rear, since the stock rear shocks are significantly longer.

The front SNR towers have the stock mounting holes and also holes which are about 9mm above the stock holes. This allowed me to set droop, ride height, get full travel, and use stiffer springs.

PM snrscion if you have more specific questions about the his towers.

Last edited by SEF; 03-14-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
I'm sorry, I miss understood. Just buy a replacement from Tekin direct or AMain Hobbies or Nitrohouse. I would definitely replace the fan. Sorry for the confusion.
I ordered the 2 pack already, just looking for something a little more durable. The Tekin fan seems kind of fragile. I even had it lose blades in an onroad 1/8th scale GT. :\
Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

for those of you who are interested I found This conversion for oils

CONVERSION VALUES

Cts Losi WT Associated WT
100 10 7.5
150 15 12.5
200 20 17.5
275 25 22.5
300 27.5 25
350 30 27.5
400 32. 5 30
425 35 32.5
450 37.5 35
500 40 37.5

The 50 Cts steps between "Cts" rating are linear, where the 5 "WT" steps used in the "WT" rating are progressive compared to the real thickness of the oil.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Ride height

Help, cannot get my ride height in rear to 31mm-shock spings (black)spring topped out at top. Moved batt back. Still way off. Rear cabon fiber shock tower. Stock set up states 24.5 No way in _____ could I ever come close to that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Running a Novack ballistic 550 5.5t motor and a 17t pinion. Runs fine but is this the best setup for 2s pack?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just ordered from a place in canada that had them in stock, set of hard springs, set of soft springs, set of rear arms, set of drive shafts and a shock rebuild kit . Everywhere else was out of stock on most of these.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TOYS ARE ME View Post
Help, cannot get my ride height in rear to 31mm-shock spings (black)spring topped out at top. Moved batt back. Still way off. Rear cabon fiber shock tower. Stock set up states 24.5 No way in _____ could I ever come close to that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Running a Novack ballistic 550 5.5t motor and a 17t pinion. Runs fine but is this the best setup for 2s pack?
Not sure where it says 24.5 for ride hieght on this truck but we are normally in the 29-30 range for ride hight. The springs will settle a little after a couple runs and you should be able to get in the 29-31 range easier. The collars will be near the top though that is for sure.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The rear is stock geometry. I've had no problems with getting full travel or setting droop for the rear, since the stock rear shocks are significantly longer.

The front SNR towers have the stock mounting holes and also holes which are about 9mm above the stock holes. This allowed me to set droop, ride height, get full travel, and use stiffer springs.

PM snrscion if you have more specific questions about the his towers.
HB shocks are awesome on this rig and I will be ordering the snr shock towers pretty soon to get the correct droop. Thanks for the heads up on the towers
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yup, I just has laugh the other day about this. Last year when I bought the Ten-t none of the LHS in my area carried parts on hand and everything had to be special ordered. There was also slim pickings for after-market/hop-ups parts. So now with the popularity SCTE version I was all excited that my LHS would start to stock parts in house...well now its supply/demand issues

Originally Posted by Blitzrockey View Post
Just ordered from a place in canada that had them in stock, set of hard springs, set of soft springs, set of rear arms, set of drive shafts and a shock rebuild kit . Everywhere else was out of stock on most of these.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

double post..sorry
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Ten scte

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Not sure where it says 24.5 for ride hieght on this truck but we are normally in the 29-30 range for ride hight. The springs will settle a little after a couple runs and you should be able to get in the 29-31 range easier. The collars will be near the top though that is for sure.
The 24.5 came from the truck manual that came with the truck.

Casper, The same manual states 17t pinion for a 5.5t motor. Do you agree or do you have a better number that works the best with this motor?

Thanks for your help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.