Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
There are no rules that dictate shock size. If you can fit them on the car they are legal as long as it continues to fit in the overall size limits.

Huge advantage. Not so sure on that one but to each there own.
I bought a used scte with losi 1/8 scale shocks on it. I raced it indoor most of the winter and fought the truck every time I ran it. It traction rolled bad and could not get any spring/oil/piston combo to work. I found a pair of the stock shocks and put them on and now I finally love the truck handles great now. Did not work for me but hear some get it to work.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripleh
Are all these trucks loud.I noticed that the pinion and spur make an almost grinding noise.Thanks John
They are louder then your normal 2wd car. If you play with the gear mesh you can get them to quite down some. If your diffs have never been opened you can grease the ring and pinion and this will reduce some noise as well. They will be kind of loud though.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default savox servo

what is a popular savox servo people are runing?
thanx in advance
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes i already lubed the ring n pinion.ill play with the mesh.Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b121774
Does anyone know the legality of running 1/8th big bore shocks on the scte or any sct at roar events? Big discussion on another regional forum, someone thinks they are illegal and a big advantage over the stocker's.
As far as I know, there's no ROAR rule on shock type.

I don't even see a grey area here. Are you supposed to limit shock diameter?

I do find shock progression interesting. For heavier cars (like 1/8 scale and this truck), more volume does change the damping characteristics. I believe manufacturers over the years have naturally honed in on a shock diameter that gives the best performance. What you are controlling by changing shock diameter is Reynold's number.

Without getting into the technical details of fluid dynamics, given all things constant, changing the diameter of the shock is really letting you adjust the transition from when a shock works smoothly to when you get a lot of pack in your shocks.

If the shocks were too small, there would never be a progressive feel to the damping, and the heavy cars would always bottom out and it would be difficult to get them to have a good feel at both slow and fast compression speeds.

Anyway, back to shock progression, today's stadium trucks and 1/10 buggies have bigger shocks than my old 4x4 SC which was a Jammin.

My 1/8 Kyosho Inferno from way back in the day (think mid 90's) had shocks much smaller than my SCTE.

I don't know if the SCTE shocks will stay the same over the years, or if Losi will find that a bigger bore shock yields better performance. Who knows, but only testing and experimenting will tell.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
I can tell you that in my case there wasn't a problem with gear mesh, at least not until the bearing blew. Then there was a 1/8" gap. I did hear a clicking noise just before it let go. I thought that I had chipped a ring gear then the truck just stopped.

I also agree that the motor mount is not designed optimally to hold the bearings in alignment, but I'd rather have the extra bearing than run without it. It costs very little and creates almost zero extra load on the motor. I checked the motor's temp every couple minutes for a run to make sure that the bearing wasn't adding any additional load. So far it seems fine.

It could have just been a bad batch of bearings, but there were several reports of them failing in the Pro4 thread. It does happen to even the biggest names in the hobby once in a while. The only way to tell is to wait and see. Tekin has been very good about getting them fixed. I had my replacement parts in 2-3 days.

Chris
impossible. didn't you read where 8ight-e said he hadn't heard of any failures?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

The extra bearing is a great idea Chris. I am one that blew a pro4 bearing and have looke at my LHS for your suggested bearing without luck. If you have extra, I would buy one from you

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
I can tell you that in my case there wasn't a problem with gear mesh, at least not until the bearing blew. Then there was a 1/8" gap. I did hear a clicking noise just before it let go. I thought that I had chipped a ring gear then the truck just stopped.

I also agree that the motor mount is not designed optimally to hold the bearings in alignment, but I'd rather have the extra bearing than run without it. It costs very little and creates almost zero extra load on the motor. I checked the motor's temp every couple minutes for a run to make sure that the bearing wasn't adding any additional load. So far it seems fine.

It could have just been a bad batch of bearings, but there were several reports of them failing in the Pro4 thread. It does happen to even the biggest names in the hobby once in a while. The only way to tell is to wait and see. Tekin has been very good about getting them fixed. I had my replacement parts in 2-3 days.

Chris
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kuya_Kimo
The extra bearing is a great idea Chris. I am one that blew a pro4 bearing and have looke at my LHS for your suggested bearing without luck. If you have extra, I would buy one from you

Avid has them and so does eBay for a 1 dollar each, might as well order a scte avid kit too

Edit... I soaked In the bearing in marvel mystery oil so it spins more freely
Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

I have a new TLR tuning kit for the scte in the f/s section

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-kit-scte.html
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by cuppcake80
what is a popular savox servo people are runing?
thanx in advance
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just a heads up for the guys who run gold barcodes, RPP has them on sale for $14.99 a pair which is a pretty screamin deal. I just picked up a couple sets and also got some new AKA cyclone wheels for the SCTE. 2 complete sets of wheels and tires for about $100 shipped.
https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...Code=JCI304405
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCal Jared
Just a heads up for the guys who run gold barcodes, RPP has them on sale for $14.99 a pair which is a pretty screamin deal. I just picked up a couple sets and also got some new AKA cyclone wheels for the SCTE. 2 complete sets of wheels and tires for about $100 shipped.
https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...Code=JCI304405
or you can get 35% off your entire order on Panther products.

http://www.liverc.com/news/announcem...elief%22_sale/
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cult Racing

ah panther always having a sale with some sort of coupon code on a site that always says they can't do USPS to my address (ridiculous). more work than it's worth IMO.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cult Racing

Nice! I'm going with Panther on this one!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
ah panther always having a sale with some sort of coupon code on a site that always says they can't do USPS to my address (ridiculous). more work than it's worth IMO.
never had a problem with panther shipping to my address.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.