Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Probably oughta post weights less battery, bigger the the mma the more weight
Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Smile Castle 1415 2400kv vs Tenshock SC411 4000kv - initial impressions

Until yesterday, I was running the Castle MMP with Castle 1415 2400kv on 2S with 19T or 20T. Top speed was always there in relation to a friend's with the SCTE on the Novak sensored system (ESC + motor), but when I drove his truck it was always smoother. I wondered if it was my cheapo FlySky GT3B transmitter (which I love, and seems to work well on all my other vehicles).

Yesterday I installed the Tenshock SC411 4000kv with 16T (is this too high?) and 2S, (still on the MMP ESC now in SmartSense mode). Wow, what a difference! The throttle is now smooth as butter and controllability is excellent. Minute throttle inputs (especially during cornering) are reflected better and are making the truck more driveable/controllable.

I highly recommend this motor for people in my situation (see below), or for a step up from the RTR system in that it makes the drive a lot more immediately enjoyable and provides a more accurate reflection/response of what you are doing, and therefore you aren't fighting against the system.

Disclaimer(s):
First up, I'm not a racer (I don't have much time to devote to this) and I'm not quite a basher either. I just enjoy trying to get the truck around the track and improve my own skill, with minimal modifications (since I know the truck is raceworthy out of the box). So my truck is pretty much factory ARR. I'm also not consistent enough yet to experiment with setup changes (apart from diff oils).

I have absolutely no idea how this motor compares to Tekin, Viper, etc etc etc sensored motors etc, so please lets not argue about that. Perhaps comment on whether this would be a generally common experience of sensorless vs sensored.

I have no interest in absolute top speed as I can't really utilise it.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

2747g Fully race ready with:

losi 6000 60c lipo
aka grid iron wheels with bead locks
tlr kit
pro 4 and rx8
un-cut body
ko Propo servo
Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eddomak
Until yesterday, I was running the Castle MMP with Castle 1415 2400kv on 2S with 19T or 20T. Top speed was always there in relation to a friend's with the SCTE on the Novak sensored system (ESC + motor), but when I drove his truck it was always smoother. I wondered if it was my cheapo FlySky GT3B transmitter (which I love, and seems to work well on all my other vehicles).

Yesterday I installed the Tenshock SC411 4000kv with 16T (is this too high?) and 2S, (still on the MMP ESC now in SmartSense mode). Wow, what a difference! The throttle is now smooth as butter and controllability is excellent. Minute throttle inputs (especially during cornering) are reflected better and are making the truck more driveable/controllable.

I highly recommend this motor for people in my situation (see below), or for a step up from the RTR system in that it makes the drive a lot more immediately enjoyable and provides a more accurate reflection/response of what you are doing, and therefore you aren't fighting against the system.

Disclaimer(s):
First up, I'm not a racer (I don't have much time to devote to this) and I'm not quite a basher either. I just enjoy trying to get the truck around the track and improve my own skill, with minimal modifications (since I know the truck is raceworthy out of the box). So my truck is pretty much factory ARR. I'm also not consistent enough yet to experiment with setup changes (apart from diff oils).

I have absolutely no idea how this motor compares to Tekin, Viper, etc etc etc sensored motors etc, so please lets not argue about that. Perhaps comment on whether this would be a generally common experience of sensorless vs sensored.

That castle 1415 needs 3s to run properly.. the 1410 (3800kv) is more ideal on 2s as far as castle motors go, and would be basically the same feeling as the 4k tenshock you have now (both good choices). Not that you can't make the 1415 work, but on a 2s lipo with these 4pole motors you should really always stick to 3600kv-4600kv range looking for a RPM around 26k-34k rpm (the sweet spot for any brushless motor).
Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yfzracer912
2747g Fully race ready with:

losi 6000 60c lipo
aka grid iron wheels with bead locks
tlr kit
pro 4 and rx8
un-cut body
ko Propo servo
I need a scale now that we are on this weight kick again (any ideas on where to p/u a scale?)

We need to clarify lb's or Grams also (confusing)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by kjohnsiii
I need a scale now that we are on this weight kick again (any ideas on where to p/u a scale?)

Mines 3202 grams... I think I should get a fattest scte trophy.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kjohnsiii

448g is 1lb

My truck 2880g RTR (body, battery, tires)

I have the TLR chassis, lightened outdrives, the turning kit and the anodized shock bodies. Few carbon pieces, lightened the battery tray a tad. Still have full receiver box.

Last edited by HighLife420; 03-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I'm at 2900 grams, fully rtr, and it's dirty.

Stock no extra holes body, bce chassis, TLR carbon towers, pro4 motor, 6000mah 65c nano, HW sct pro esc, lightened outdrives, spektrum 6030, cut battery tray some, stock shocks w/aluminum caps, full rx box and transponder included.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Disclaimer(s):

Much better choice...I also ran the 2400 for a few months and while it worked ok there are other motors that just run better on 2s. The Tenshock is a good motor.
To answer your question....Depends. The 2400 is pretty rough as far as non-censored goes. The new Copperhead for example is butter smooth in comparison.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Disclaimer(s):

congrats from switching from sensorless to sensored,Your gonna love it compared to the sensorless stuffAfter running my pro4 4600 and rx8 i will never use anything else.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

My SCTE vs. SC10 4x4

Both running tekin rx8 and pro4 motor, scte has tlr chassis, tlr kit etc, the sc10 has weight added in several areas......No lipo/body on either

SCTE 5.11 lb's total

SC10 5.45 lb's total

Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Disclaimer(s):

no, 16T is not too high for the 4000kv version. i run a 16T on my 4600kv. you could gear up a tooth or two if you aren't running in the desert (i'm sure as ambients increase i'll probably have to go down to a 15T).

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
That castle 1415 needs 3s to run properly.. the 1410 (3800kv) is more ideal on 2s as far as castle motors go, and would be basically the same feeling as the 4k tenshock you have now (both good choices). Not that you can't make the 1415 work, but on a 2s lipo with these 4pole motors you should really always stick to 3600kv-4600kv range looking for a RPM around 26k-34k rpm (the sweet spot for any brushless motor).
sorry. i know this won't go over well as you despise any opinion different from your own, but the sensored tenshock is both smoother and more powerful than your beloved 1410.

Originally Posted by larlev
Much better choice...I also ran the 2400 for a few months and while it worked ok there are other motors that just run better on 2s. The Tenshock is a good motor.
To answer your question....Depends. The 2400 is pretty rough as far as non-censored goes. The new Copperhead for example is butter smooth in comparison.
i run the 2400kv 1415 on my 810e on 3s with a hobbywing SC8 and it's very smooth (huge difference compared to when it was run on a mmp). IMO, the "smoothness" of a sensorless motor is 80% ESC and 20% motor, and yes, the copperhead system is very smooth for a sensorless set up, but i don't think it's any smoother than any sensorless motor run on the hobbywing SC8.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
sorry. i know this won't go over well as you despise any opinion different from your own, but the sensored tenshock is both smoother and more powerful than your beloved 1410.
I did say they were both good choices, I didn't make any comment on either. I've owned the castle, tenshock, tekin, associated, and novak motors both sensored and sensorless over the last year. The comment I will leave you is pick and enjoy, they all make the truck go and you can win the A main with any one of them vs the other.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

I am sure you have tried this, but using MMP and 1415, and with Castle Link running the 'motor test' and then setting the 'torque limit', it makes a huge difference. The setup was very jumpy without this setting. With it, it is world of difference; very smooth. Granted I run 3S, the speed is insane, and enough torque to pull wheelies once in a while.

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
no, 16T is not too high for the 4000kv version. i run a 16T on my 4600kv. you could gear up a tooth or two if you aren't running in the desert (i'm sure as ambients increase i'll probably have to go down to a 15T).

i run the 2400kv 1415 on my 810e on 3s with a hobbywing SC8 and it's very smooth (huge difference compared to when it was run on a mmp). IMO, the "smoothness" of a sensorless motor is 80% ESC and 20% motor, and yes, the copperhead system is very smooth for a sensorless set up, but i don't think it's any smoother than any sensorless motor run on the hobbywing SC8.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcus3r
I am sure you have tried this, but using MMP and 1415, and with Castle Link running the 'motor test' and then setting the 'torque limit', it makes a huge difference.
Don't be so sure. I hadn't tried it, so now look what you've made me do - I need to go home and reinstall the 1415 and try it out now. :P I think that even if it is nice I'll stick to the new motor.

Thanks to those who have commented on 1410 vs 1415. Although I realised that the 1415 was designed for 3S I never knew it would make a difference to the smoothness. Unfortunately I don't have a 3S to try it with, so will take your word on it. I bought it in the SCT Pack at the time, and didn't have the time to sell the 1415 and buy a 1410.

Thanks also for the reply on gearing. In summer here (Sydney, Australia)we usually reach 30-35 Celcius (except this particular summer) ambient temperature, but most of the time it is somewhere between 17-28 Celcius.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.