Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post
For those that want to try hardening them yourselves while stock arrives...
I was able to use regular MAPP gas that you can buy from just about anywhere and is very cheap.
I did it in my bathroom with the exhaust fan and was able to get it red hot.
I was surprised that MAPP gas was able, I thought for sure I would have to use my acetylene torch.
I chose to dip it in oil 2 times which should offer a real good carbide coating then once in regular water.
Before dipping in oil each time get it red hot and only need to get it blue before the water bath.
This is a pretty simple technique but requires a lot of CAUTION.
Please know your limits when attempting this procedure, if you don't feel confident that you won't burn yourself or the house down, the lack of confidence is a good sign that you should NOT do it.
Are you just holding the pins with needle nose pliers when heating?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post
I did it in my bathroom with the exhaust fan and was able to get it red hot.

holy snap, you did that in your house? this process smells like crap
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arm2storm View Post
I know I've been bickering but I'm finally going to TRY to contribute some info.

I just got off the phone with Horizon and Charlie said he hadn't heard of the issue, I didn't believe him but he may of been saying the truth. After explaing the issue he put me on hold and came back on 30sec later and said that Losi would have to take care of the issue. He gave me a phone # 909-390-9595.

Nice guy but no help.

And to all the pm's regarding the losi for sale for $200.... is was just joking.

I know we need to move on to a different topic but at this point setups and anything else is useless if you can't run the truck.
I just notified customer support of this this morning so they are now aware of it.

Originally Posted by bparanoid View Post
I just hope that LOSI marks the Hardened Pins and HD outdrives in a way so as to confirm what version we are purchasing. Perhaps new part# would be in order.
The hardened outdrives will be a new part number and look very different. The hardened diff pins are all that will exist. It is what will be packaged with the diff gears.

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1 View Post
Thanks for addressing my post. Although I am somewhat skeptical when Ryan mentioned only a few trucks were affected. I'm assuming the factory that assembled the truck is using the parts/pins from a specific batch. What I really think is going on is that some people who are not experiencing this issue with the pins are not running their trucks as hard as the people who are experiencing the pin issue. Of course other factors play into this such as setup (diff fluid, motors, etc). If it was indeed a manufacturing issue on the pins then it should be quite easy for Losi to identify which batch of pins are hardened and to let us know what to look for.

I'm glad Losi is stepping up to the plate and admitting there is an issue and they will address it, but even though Losi says they will send new pins way before June, even if it's sent by May, that's still quite a bit of time to fix an issue like this.

I hope Losi either recalls the remaining trucks that are out there and stops shipment of trucks in their inventory till they resolve this issue.
In ANY product that is manufactured as mass speeds, there can be issues. I worked very hard to ensure that the corrected pins were used in this first batch. Some of the trucks got the older pins due to a mix up on the assembly line. We will take care of all of you.

As for your skepticism, thats fine, I can understand that. But I know what I am doing to get these pins and so I know it will be likely be within a week to possibly two before I can fix everyones trucks.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
Good man.
+1 Thanks Ryan
Old 03-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On to other things:

Anyone have any input on aftermarket foams? I was mounting up some Proline Calibers (medium) last night and noticed that the foams for them are much more firm that the stock premounts. Are the stock foams considered really soft or are the Prolines "really firm"? I can imagine you'd want soft or firm based on track conditions, and this is why I was a little surprised to find such a large difference in the firmness, since both tires are sold as being suitable for a "multiple of surface types".

The track I'll be running on is newly built and will be a smooth fast track, (dirt is like a loamy clay, hard, good bite, but can dust up a bit between watering). I couldnt get a good read on the stockers during my first outing with the truck since the premounts came unglued a bit on me, and I'm sure that was affecting handling.

Since I didnt get to pick foam in either instance, I would expect the foam to also be suitable for multiple types.... good for most, but not necessarily great at one type of surface, therefore I expected the foams to be similar. But the foams for the 2 tires are significantly different, so my question is, which is better?

Just curious if anyone had any input on the differences in handling etc.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dominator79 View Post
Are you just holding the pins with needle nose pliers when heating?
Yes, just holding it in the middle, pinching only the cutout part.

Originally Posted by Benny 13 View Post
holy snap, you did that in your house? this process smells like crap
When the pin hits the oil the smell is not too pleasant and seems fitting for the bathroom actually
Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

So ........ Here are a few pics of my Ten SCTE , body painted by me .

What do you guys think ?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For those of you case hardening the pins, make sure to do the last step as described above (water quenching) or you may end up with broken pins, the first two steps will make the steel hard but brittle.

jb
Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jboquire View Post
For those of you case hardening the pins, make sure to do the last step as described above (water quenching) or you may end up with broken pins, the first two steps will make the steel hard but brittle.

jb
Technically, the last step can be done with oil, water, or air....metal needs to be reheated a second time...to blueing stage, does not have to be red(orange) hot to anneal.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

I would not recommend air cooling. This type of quench is too slow and would allow embrittled structure to form.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jboquire View Post

jb
I am assuming the blueing stage is the color it turns right before to get to the cherry red stage? Also does the quenchig oild need to be anything special or is 10W-30 or something like that OK?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
I just notified customer support of this this morning so they are now aware of it.

The hardened outdrives will be a new part number and look very different. The hardened diff pins are all that will exist. It is what will be packaged with the diff gears.

In ANY product that is manufactured as mass speeds, there can be issues. I worked very hard to ensure that the corrected pins were used in this first batch. Some of the trucks got the older pins due to a mix up on the assembly line. We will take care of all of you.

As for your skepticism, thats fine, I can understand that. But I know what I am doing to get these pins and so I know it will be likely be within a week to possibly two before I can fix everyones trucks.

cool now thats good turn around, glad to see we arn't going to left in the dark and ain't a thing to make us buy upgraded stuff. thanks guys for your good faith
Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dominator79 View Post
I am assuming the blueing stage is the color it turns right before to get to the cherry red stage? Also does the quenchig oild need to be anything special or is 10W-30 or something like that OK?
It just needs to be something that can add carbon to it without catching fire or exploding. Motor oil is a complex hydrocarbon, so any motor oil willwork.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCJammer View Post
It just needs to be something that can add carbon to it without catching fire or exploding. Motor oil is a complex hydrocarbon, so any motor oil willwork.
OK...lets clear this up. I was speaking of the annealing stage (in my previous post)

Step one: Heat pin to bright friggin orange
Step two: Submerge in Hydrocarbon, in this case motor oil for 30-40 seconds
****do not drop this pin until all steps have been completed, very brittle****
Step 3: When cool, clean pin with soap and water to remove residue (just finished the case hardening process...but your not done yet)
Step 4: Reheat pin to blue stage, not bright friggin orange
Step 5: at this point it is up to you, Air cool, water cool, or oil cool (this is the annealing process) this will make the metal malleable again...ie...not so friggin brittle.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
To ALL: I personally apologize to those of you that did get the soft diff pins. I understand your frustration and please understand no one is more frustrated that I am. There was a batch of pins that were supposed to be hardened that very apparently were not.

If you are having this issue, please register your vehicle and contact horizon customer service. I am trying to get every hardened pin they have but please understand I am making us spot test ALL of the batches right now so this takes some time. We are also ordering an entirely new batch of pins.

Please keep in mind, we set standards here at Losi. These are pretty high standards. We did not purposefully do this and are working to rememdy it as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry.
Now that's the Losi I am use to. Thanks for taking the time to clear the air so to speak.

I just received my truck and putting electronics in it for tomorrow blow it up and fix it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.