Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Ridley, I agree, drivers win races, not motors or ESCs, however, give the same driver a sensored setup, and more than likely he will be more consistent and faster.

Is it worth the extra money? Maybe not for all, but to some, yes.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Wow my bad I just opened a huge can or worms lol. For me I will run maybe a dozen races over the summer and thats it I am thinking I will give the copperhead system a shot, if all else fails I am sure I can sell it to someone else I do like the RX8 however I can not afford to pick up another one for the 8th scale or I would. I have tried lots of different products ... used castle for a long time just not a big fan of the external bec otherwise great product, used Xcelorin but had programing issues with my pc (my computer is to new to communicate with the program ) and now Tekin and thus far have had no issues.

But the copperhead is at the right price point for a casual racer like me how gets no kick backs or discounts Every penny I save is one more I can spend on something else .... like gas to get to the races that are 6 hour drive away
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
Wow my bad I just opened a huge can or worms lol. For me I will run maybe a dozen races over the summer and thats it I am thinking I will give the copperhead system a shot, if all else fails I am sure I can sell it to someone else I do like the RX8 however I can not afford to pick up another one for the 8th scale or I would. I have tried lots of different products ... used castle for a long time just not a big fan of the external bec otherwise great product, used Xcelorin but had programing issues with my pc (my computer is to new to communicate with the program ) and now Tekin and thus far have had no issues.

But the copperhead is at the right price point for a casual racer like me how gets no kick backs or discounts Every penny I save is one more I can spend on something else .... like gas to get to the races that are 6 hour drive away
Sounds like the copper head system might be for you then. The casual racer or basher it looks like a great system. The more serious racer will benefit from the extra money spent though. There are lots of systems out there that fill the needs of all different poeple in the hobby. I will be the first to admit there is never a one size fits all for things.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Asharus
Ridley, I agree, drivers win races, not motors or ESCs, however, give the same driver a sensored setup, and more than likely he will be more consistent and faster.

Is it worth the extra money? Maybe not for all, but to some, yes.
The driver I mentioned has sensored motors to run. He runs the Tenshock because it's the best he has tried and chooses the unsensored motor.

We do have sensored SC411's on the way though, so maybe he will change.

I've been running an RX8/Pro 4 in my race rig. Previous to that, I was running a rx8/tenshock, and really, there isn't much of a difference, besides the cost.

I'm just giving a 100% unbiased opinion, not pawning off my sponsors equipment like most of the posts on here. As you can see, I've been pretty successful with the truck, and I don't feel that for the vast majority of users, that going sensored is worth the cost, or even an advantage at all. I do however believe that many users run an unsensored motor and experience firmware or settup issues that make the motor inconsistent that they incorrectly blame on the system being unsensored. Some of the big name ESC's simply SUCK at running an unsensored motor...while others are seamless.

YMMV...I'm out of the debate..I have stuff to do today!!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Any ideas when the copperhead will be available its on pre order at amain still
Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Whats the min lipo mah and current rating is required for this truck ? I know at my track at least people run 2s lipos.

And i know this is a heavy sc does that affect turning much ?
Like for instance like the stock setup ?

Anybody ?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anybody ?
I run at Hobby Hut, I would recommend you run a 2s 35c+ 6000mah or greater battery. i run a Pro 4 4600 motor with an RX8. The truck handles great, havent really noticed the weight much.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Anybody ?
I am ont sure there is a true minimum. Due to the high amp draw from the 4X4 SC class in general I would look for something 5000mah+ and 40C+
Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Fivel: Ok that sounds good i have one 2s 35c lipo anyways hows the wear on this truck is it better than the losi 1/8 scales ? So im guessing it turns good into the corners i know i can tune it to do that. Il look into the electrics for it i have to see what my budget is first.

Casper: Il get a 2s 40c to try out.
Whats the weight of this truck ? I do like some weight in all my r/c lightweight is hard to drive at times to me at least.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Fivel: Ok that sounds good i have one 2s 35c lipo anyways hows the wear on this truck is it better than the losi 1/8 scales ? So im guessing it turns good into the corners i know i can tune it to do that. Il look into the electrics for it i have to see what my budget is first.

Whats the weight of this truck ? I do like some weight in all my r/c lightweight is hard to drive at times to me at least.
On the 2S thing. Most places limit you to 2S batteries. Some places don't though so check your local rules.

Out of the box depending on electronics (ESC, Motor, Battery, servo etc) will all effect overall weight (as well as tires and body) they are about 6.75lbs out of box with typcial electronics. Some effort and guys are getting them close to 6lbs.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

i am not sponsored by tekin, however.. i have tried castle in my 1/10, and in my 1/8th.. hated it.. horrible out of the tight corners.. balistic on the straights.. brakes didnt feel right.. one was a MM, and the other was a sidewinder..

as soon as i switched over to the sensored setup in my 1/10 stuff.. it was a huge difference in my lap consisency.. and i didnt switch to tekin.. i ran Novak sensored.. everything in 1/10 was sensored after that..

I then got a great deal on a Castle MMM.. and that was in my 1/8th.. after that. now in my 1/8th its not that big of a difference.. however.. i have made the switch to sensored in that as well.. with RX8/1900 combo..

also in my Losi.. i didnt even consider the castle setup.. got a good deal from a friend on the RX8.. and that is that..
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Speaking of of overkill motors...I have a Trinity Monster Horsepower D3 3.5 550 can mill sitting here. I am half tempted and half scared to put it in.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't know about the wear on a 1/8th scale losi I run a mugen ebuggy. the wear and tear so far has been good. My buddy has had his since they were released and he hasn't had any problems at all. The turning is great and the added weight makes the truck easier to drive.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowroad
Speaking of of overkill motors...I have a Trinity Monster Horsepower D3 3.5 550 can mill sitting here. I am half tempted and half scared to put it in.
Put it in ...... you will be Surprised
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley
Does anybody really care about that anymore?

I guess if the extra 200$ expense for a Tekin RX8/Pro4 system over the Viper Copperhead system is worth the ROAR approval, by all means go Tekin!!! Prolly 99.5% of club racers will never see a ROAR sanctioned race so it's a mute point.

I have both, so I have no beef either way. They are both great settups, one just happens to cost about 5 complete sets of race tires more than the other, and has half as long of a warrantee.
So wait a min. I payed $313 for my pro 4 and RX8... If the Copperhead is $200 less, that means I can get it for $113 motor and ESC? Where can I get this deal?

Last edited by LosiMadMan; 12-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.