Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread >

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Buzz3 View Post
Its not about hurt feelings tool man. Its about you coming here without facts and pitching vaporware. Go away...
I guess that is the bad part of the internet. Not being able to to add the emotions with the statements so people really get where your coming from. I ran into the losi for the first time last week at the track and put in my 2 cents. I guess this is an exclusive club.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Mine weighs in at 6.66lbs ready to race with TP 5300 40c pack. Slightly heavier with my 6200mah pack. This is with the CF towers, aluminum toe blocks, the MMP and 1410 motor. This is about 1/2 lb heavier than my jammin was. (jammin was just a smidge over 6lb RTR) I had mine modified quite a bit and it is actually a little lighter than a stock jammin. This doesnt sound like alot, but I think that even at 6lbs we are really pushing the limits on the 2s batteries and once you start crossing that line the extra half lb starts to become more noticeable.

Had the first race weekend with it this weekend and after a 2 day race these are my observations....

Coming from my Jammin it does feel on the heavy side and a bit slower reacting on both the turning and the acceleration. On the plus side it takes off from jumps flatter and MUCH more consistently, and also lands the jumps better. (Lands the jumps about the same as my jammin with 1/8 big bores on it). Durability seems to be better, but really will need more than one race weekend to get a true gauge of long term durability. There were a couple weak parts on the jammin that needed addressing, but once that happened it actually held up very well and the parts wear was very good. Diffs and drive train on it were VERY solid. After seeing the extreme wear in the difs and on the outdrives in my losi 810e after only about 4-5 race days, I am a little concerned about them on the SCTE since its the same parts and an even heavier truck.

There were a bunch of the new SCTEs at the track this weekend. I used used the setup sheet that Ryan posted and I basically got my but kicked by all the guys running the box stock cars with grease in the diffs and all!!! I did try to make adjustments as I went, but didn't really make alot of significant progress. Don't get me wrong, It still ran well. I qualified 6th in the A main out of 20 trucks so not bad at all, and finished 5th in the main. It was just frustrating to hear the 3 losi's that were ahead of me saying that they hadn't bothered changing anything and they were beating me LOL. I think 4 of the top 6 trucks were SCTEs and there was a Durango and a Jammin mixed in.

Now that I have gotten a bit of a feel for the truck, I personally plan to shed as much weight as possible on this car. Modifications I am planning to make to start are:
  • Ditch the mud guards and nerf bars. Maybe keep the first couple inches of mud guard at the front of the chassis just to deflect a little dirt from the front wheels.
  • Ditch the battery tray and esc mount. Plan is to mount the hard case pack flat on the chassis with velcro and a single strap front to back (like the old gorillamax chassis straps). Mount the esc flat on the chassis.
  • Ditch the RX box and use some tekno servo mounts to mount the steering servo.
  • Ditch the oversize center dif top plate and the bottom plate/hole plugs for the chassis.
  • Probably switch out the motor mount to the RC-monster TEN-T mount as well to save a little weight over the 2 piece setup.
  • Titanium turnbuckles.

I think just removing all of the unnecessary parts will get this down close to the weight of my jammin and hopefully make it feel a little more nimble.

Oh yea... In the stock mounting position it looks like the body is mounted alot higher than it needs to be. It seems that the only thing that is forcing the body to be mounted that high is the front wheels rubbing on the wheel well when the wheels are turned. I am going to trim the hell out of the front wheel wells and see if I can lower the body. From what it looks like on first inspection it appears to be almost a half inch higher than necessary. Will have to look at this closer though, I'm afraid trimming this up to far will weaken the body in the front. Lowering that big SC body should also help with how quick it feels in the turns.

All in all I think this will be a good truck. Like almost every new car I have ever bought it will just take doing the work to get it dialed in the way I want it.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Punt66 View Post
That is what it weighed in at the track.
What battery you have in it?

Originally Posted by shortcut View Post
I wish that was the case, I've looked until my face turn blue , guess I'll have to make do.

Thanks, Jeff
If you can't find it contact Horizon.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i just mentioned the weight. I didnt realize i would hurt feelings.
True, but unless it was running 1/8 scale electronics and lipos for 1/8 scale you sir are mistaken and that ruins your credibility around here

I really do get a kick while reading some of these posts from people who are clearly posting just to have something to say and in my eyes totally ruin their credibility
Whether it's commenting on motors they never ran yet for themselves or commenting on a car/truck they have not ran either they sure know a lot about it
Or
My favorite has been comparing a truck that has been only out 2 weeks (if that) against a SLASH 4X4 on the first night out.
Any racer knows a brand new kit is gonna take a little more than one night out to get it to handle the way you drive it and then make a legit comparison and show some credibility
I hope everyone who reads this post really takes the word credibility a little more serious and you know who you are
I understand this place is to get help and ask questions but if you don't know what you are talking about then just don't post because you are instead hurting the community
I'm done back to the TEN-SCTE
Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
What battery you have in it?

If you can't find it contact Horizon.
I dont know. I didnt look. He scaled it. Walked right to my pit and told me.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post
True, but unless it was running 1/8 scale electronics and lipos for 1/8 scale you sir are mistaken and that ruins your credibility around here

I really do get a kick while reading some of these posts from people who are clearly posting just to have something to say and in my eyes totally ruin their credibility
Whether it's commenting on motors they never ran yet for themselves or commenting on a car/truck they have not ran either they sure know a lot about it
Or
My favorite has been comparing a truck that has been only out 2 weeks (if that) against a SLASH 4X4 on the first night out.
Any racer knows a brand new kit is gonna take a little more than one night out to get it to handle the way you drive it and then make a legit comparison and show some credibility
I hope everyone who reads this post really takes the word credibility a little more serious and you know who you are
I understand this place is to get help and ask questions but if you don't know what you are talking about then just don't post because you are instead hurting the community
hahah remember your post.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I am looking for on the track comparisons for the 1410 (3800kv) vs 4.5 550 motors. Drive ability / Powerwise which feels best???

I have a 1410 and its geared with a 15 tooth with normal timing setting it seems good not a rocket, but good. I have a 16 tooth coming to see if it wakes it up a bit more and gives it a bit more punch.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1!

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post

Or
Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey jhautz just thought I'd let you know the RCM mount weighs a little more than the Losi. RCM 2.05oz/58g Losi 1.05oz/43g.

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
Mine weighs in at 6.66lbs ready to race with TP 5300 40c pack. Slightly heavier with my 6200mah pack. This is with the CF towers, aluminum toe blocks, the MMP and 1410 motor. This is about 1/2 lb heavier than my jammin was. (jammin was just a smidge over 6lb RTR) I had mine modified quite a bit and it is actually a little lighter than a stock jammin. This doesnt sound like alot, but I think that even at 6lbs we are really pushing the limits on the 2s batteries and once you start crossing that line the extra half lb starts to become more noticeable.

Had the first race weekend with it this weekend and after a 2 day race these are my observations....

Coming from my Jammin it does feel on the heavy side and a bit slower reacting on both the turning and the acceleration. On the plus side it takes off from jumps flatter and MUCH more consistently, and also lands the jumps better. (Lands the jumps about the same as my jammin with 1/8 big bores on it). Durability seems to be better, but really will need more than one race weekend to get a true gauge of long term durability. There were a couple weak parts on the jammin that needed addressing, but once that happened it actually held up very well and the parts wear was very good. Diffs and drive train on it were VERY solid. After seeing the extreme wear in the difs and on the outdrives in my losi 810e after only about 4-5 race days, I am a little concerned about them on the SCTE since its the same parts and an even heavier truck.

There were a bunch of the new SCTEs at the track this weekend. I used used the setup sheet that Ryan posted and I basically got my but kicked by all the guys running the box stock cars with grease in the diffs and all!!! I did try to make adjustments as I went, but didn't really make alot of significant progress. Don't get me wrong, It still ran well. I qualified 6th in the A main out of 20 trucks so not bad at all, and finished 5th in the main. It was just frustrating to hear the 3 losi's that were ahead of me saying that they hadn't bothered changing anything and they were beating me LOL. I think 4 of the top 6 trucks were SCTEs and there was a Durango and a Jammin mixed in.

Now that I have gotten a bit of a feel for the truck, I personally plan to shed as much weight as possible on this car. Modifications I am planning to make to start are:
  • Ditch the mud guards and nerf bars. Maybe keep the first couple inches of mud guard at the front of the chassis just to deflect a little dirt from the front wheels.
  • Ditch the battery tray and esc mount. Plan is to mount the hard case pack flat on the chassis with velcro and a single strap front to back (like the old gorillamax chassis straps). Mount the esc flat on the chassis.
  • Ditch the oversize center dif top plate and the bottom plate/hole plugs for the chassis.
  • Probably switch out the motor mount to the RC-monster TEN-T mount as well to save a little weight over the 2 piece setup.
  • Titanium turnbuckles.

I think just removing all of the unnecessary parts will get this down close to the weight of my jammin and hopefully make it feel a little more nimble.

Oh yea... In the stock mounting position it looks like the body is mounted alot higher than it needs to be. It seems that the only thing that is forcing the body to be mounted that high is the front wheels rubbing on the wheel well when the wheels are turned. I am going to trim the hell out of the front wheel wells and see if I can lower the body. From what it looks like on first inspection it appears to be almost a half inch higher than necessary. Will have to look at this closer though, I'm afraid trimming this up to far will weaken the body in the front. Lowering that big SC body should also help with how quick it feels in the turns.

All in all I think this will be a good truck. Like almost every new car I have ever bought it will just take doing the work to get it dialed in the way I want it.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

• Titanium turnbuckles.

Those mods are what I talked about last week.. I'm on the same page man.. thinking about a diet from the get go. MMp is going on the top center diff mount, I plan on hacking up the rx/servo mount or making a custom mount, a type of direct mount for my batteries as well. I'm thinking about going with two o-rings loosely based off of the mount in the CRC 1/12 carpet cars. I was plannng on loosing the mud guards, but wasn't sure about those center parts... who knows. I'll keep the losi motor mount though but the rest is up in the air.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 03-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

hahah remember your post.
I am not an impulse poster and carefully post my remarks.
There is nothing in my post that I will ever regret because I understand the word credibility

Just Say NO to Impulse Posting!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

wow...this thread got derailed so quickly. bummer.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey losi drivers, got my truck coming in. I'm thinking of running speed passion grand turismo v2.0 pro esc with the tekin 4.5 motor. Any experience or any feed back on this speed control/motor combo will be great. Next choice to go all Novak havoc/4.5 combo. I like the speed passion for it's eas of setting up and making quick changes to the esc. Any feed back is cool.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

M

• Titanium turnbuckles.

My trucks a fat ho and needs to go on a diet... 6lbs 11oz. But I do have a few parts that are not stock and do weigh more. You will be able to shave a ton of weight just by your list. I don't mind mine heavy, I've gotten used to it now.

Funny you mentioned the grease in the gears, I drove the truck one weekend with the grease then changed it out. I actually liked the way it drove with the grease lol. Running 5-7-3 now and seems great...
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
I was testing out some wheels from my Slash 4X4 on my TEN-SCTE and I noticed that they fit but it gives me about a 1/4" offset, would that be problem? I haven't tried it yet but it's just a thought for now. Any thoughts?
anyone?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.