Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray-ray
How to repair diff's from leaking.
Is that a question? What are you asking?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ridley

Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, but the lighter slash 4x4's flat out PWN me in a drag down the straight with equal electronics, and clear tight jumps much easier. At the one track I go to, they routinely seem to build the track just so they can clear stuff I can't to try to get an advantage. Sometimes...it works, and yes, I get beat by a couple of my buddies with blisteringly fast slash 4x4's as they clear the big triples and quads that I can't Tonight, at the track, even with a ton of new SCTE's present...slash's finished on all podium spots(I wasn't there though )

So seriously, lets keep this grounded in reality please and not turn it into an infomercial...the lighter trucks will scorch the SCTE acceleration wise....it's just how it is....it's not even close really. Yes, the SCTE handles the FAST turns better, and lands slightly better, but acceleration is not it's most endearing feature

I'll show you two tracks that illustrate my point. The triple, on this track, regardless of how it looks, is extremely hard to do with the SCTE because of the sharp roller in front of it. Only with the T8 could anyone driving a Losi clear it consistently with the short run up. It was a Full nut, clinch your butt type jump for me with about 80% consistency....not good enough.....the slash's sail it with EASE. It's about an 18 foot jump. A half second over a 30 lap main is 15 seconds....thats a near full lap headstart I'm basically giving up.

Secondly, was this backstretch jump that was IMPOSSIBLE to quad...except with a slash 4x4. I wasn't even close, they could clear past the transition and pick up a second a lap on me with near 100% consistency. The jump is around 23 feet. The time gap was much greater on this one, more like a second, so thats nearly 2 laps I'm giving up all else being equal.

So, really, I love the Losi, it overall is the best truck out by far, but it doesn't do EVERYTHING bette r than EVERY other vehicle out there, lol. Acceleration just happens to be one of those things
Who knows, maybe those guys are just better than you. Or maybe they have heavily modified slash's because I have never seen a slash 4x4 do anything at my track but get lapped over and over again. Making jumps with a short run up is often times simply technique. Yes a faster lighter car might have an advantage, but not one that can't be made up for by better driving.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So I ran my first battery with a rx8 and tekin 4.5 and two minutes motor ran hot with a 16 pinion! Dropped two teeth and still ran hot! So I am now running a 12 tooth and I will try it again today!

I thought this was the good setup? Why is this thing running hot? 2 minutes and temper at 180. Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LAYMAN123
So I ran my first battery with a rx8 and tekin 4.5 and two minutes motor ran hot with a 16 pinion! Dropped two teeth and still ran hot! So I am now running a 12 tooth and I will try it again today!

I thought this was the good setup? Why is this thing running hot? 2 minutes and temper at 180. Any ideas?
Something is not right there. I don't care if you were off by several teeth on your gearing, you shouldn't be able to get that hot that quickly.

Go through the car and make sure nothing is binding. Make sure that the drivetrain is free. If it isn't that, then there is something wrong with your electronics. 180F in two minutes??? That is a problem.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by chiro972
Is that a question? What are you asking?
?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Hey
Your gearing the wrong way. Gear up. Motors hot because our spinning it to fast. Try an 18 or 19.

I ran a customers truck with rx8 and redline 6.5 on 2s with 16t and it had no speed. It ripped for about 25 ft thats it.

Aldo
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Ridely,

From the pics that triple looks like you would carry too much speed to make the corner, from behind the laptop I would double single that rather then triple it.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:12 AM
KIK
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It is faster to triple... That track is high bite so getting on the brakes to make the turn isn't a problem.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I set mine up like the tech sheet Ryan posted and all was well until I got to the rear rideheight. I have the preload all the way to the top of the shock and can't get it to set lower than about 34mm. Have 35wt in the shock what am I doing wrong. Shouldn't have to add weight to the rear need help to pick it up now.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 AM
KIK
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Check the shock ends.. Make sure they are threaded all the way in or as much as u need to the get the ride height.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KIK
It is faster to triple... That track is high bite so getting on the brakes to make the turn isn't a problem.
Yeah, unless you crash. I love guys who try to make a jump that they can only make some of the time and they keep trying it and being marshalled. They lose WAY more time being marshalled than they save by making a jump.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Who knows, maybe those guys are just better than you. Or maybe they have heavily modified slash's because I have never seen a slash 4x4 do anything at my track but get lapped over and over again. Making jumps with a short run up is often times simply technique. Yes a faster lighter car might have an advantage, but not one that can't be made up for by better driving.
The fastest lap I have seen put down at my track is by a slash 4x4. They work on the smaller tracks very well.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default it is a tank!

Ran it last night. Just a wow! It took a beating of my heavy happy trigger finger hitting walls and poles and didnt break anything. It handles fine with just stock. No more DNF!

Layman, what lipo are you using? Im running with tekin rx8/sc4 5.5 15t with no heat issues. It could be your lipo.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The fastest lap I have seen put down at my track is by a slash 4x4. They work on the smaller tracks very well.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Are you running any boost or advanced timing or anything like that on the RX8? The recommended 15-16 gearing for a 4.5 is a with a zero advance timing/boosted ESC If you are not running anything cranked up on your ESC I agree there may be a bad bearing or something else causing excessive drag.

Originally Posted by critterracing
Hey
Your gearing the wrong way. Gear up. Motors hot because our spinning it to fast. Try an 18 or 19.

I ran a customers truck with rx8 and redline 6.5 on 2s with 16t and it had no speed. It ripped for about 25 ft thats it.

Aldo
I don't think more then 16 is really needed on a 4.5. Yeah for a 6.5 on 2S you will need to be up in the 18-19 range.

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
I set mine up like the tech sheet Ryan posted and all was well until I got to the rear rideheight. I have the preload all the way to the top of the shock and can't get it to set lower than about 34mm. Have 35wt in the shock what am I doing wrong. Shouldn't have to add weight to the rear need help to pick it up now.
Are you "dropping the car" on a smooth surface to get ride height. I would drive the car a time or two. Sometimes the springs need a little time to settle. Also make sure the springs are set in the collars. Then kind of need to snap into place. The collars will be very close to the top to get the rear ride height correct.

AS for all the acceleration stuff. Ryan made his comment as at our local tracks our trucks have been pulling everything else out there out of the corners. The truck with a little extra weight is putting the power to the track instead of lighting up the tires. Yes it is not a scientific lab tested 100% get your money back guarantee statment but something we noticed out our truck running in So Cal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.